Windows 10: Can your PC handle 4K 60fps in YouTube? TEST IT!

Discus and support Can your PC handle 4K 60fps in YouTube? TEST IT! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, a lot of people ask what are the minimum requirements to handle 4K 60fps video playback, specially in YouTube and other online media sources, to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rambomhtri, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Can your PC handle 4K 60fps in YouTube? TEST IT!

Hi, a lot of people ask what are the minimum requirements to handle 4K 60fps video playback, specially in YouTube and other online media sources, to check if their PC is good enough for a Home Theater PC (HTPC), or if it will instead lag and freeze. We are about to find out!

Today, in 2019, a FullHD resolution is good enough to really enjoy a very high quality video, but the 4K resolution has been around for a while, and to make a PC "future proof", I think it's better to have something that can handle 4K resolutions easily.

OK, 4K is the "future standard", but then, why the 60fps?
    Good question, same reason: it looks like 4K 60fps is the most demanding video quality you can ask for today, without going overkill. And I believe it's going to be that way for a while (many years). Sure, YouTube might end up adding 8K resolution in a few years, but, in my opinion, that's simply overkill.

Now, the test. Online video decoding is handled mostly by your CPU, so it's the CPU the one that must be powerful. Your GPU can help if your browser or app has hardware acceleration, but keep in mind it's a CPU intensive task.

What you are supposed to have before the test:

1. Internet Speed: at least 50Mbps, if you have low internet speed the video could be freezing because your speed, not your hardware.
    2. A clean PC without malware or bloat ware: no apps consuming resources, no virus, malware crap, etc... if your PC is in poor condition, that could be the reason why it's not capable of playing back fluently the videos.
    3. Latest version of Chrome (version 77) or Firefox (version 69). We don't want to test this under old software or browser. Windows 10 x64 if possible.
    4. Your screen resolution also affects the performance. If you are using a 4K monitor and Windows is set to 4K resolution, your hardware will have to work harder. So, when you post the results, you must tell us what resolution you are working with in Windows settings.

How to proceed?
    1. Open Chrome or Firefox, and go to this 4K 60fps video:
    YouTube
    2. Set the quality to 4K 60fps.
    3. Right-click on the video and click "stats for nerds"
    4. The second line Viewport/frames tells you if any frame was dropped, that means, if your hardware couldn't handle the video anymore and started to drop frames. If your hardware can handle 4K 60fps like a champion, you will see a 0 value over there during the whole video. If just 4-10 frames dropped, it is OK, but if you get like 100, 200 or 400 frames dropped, your hardware can't really handle it. Not all parts of the video are equal: the most demanding scenes are around 3:00 and around 4:40. That means that your hardware might handle the video OK (0 frames dropped) but when a demanding scene comes, it will freeze and start to drop frames. Is that a win or a fail?
    I'd say a fail, you don't want to watch a movie with some scenes frozen and laggy, do you?

Post your results!

Here's your template
    CPU:
    GPU:
    Screen resolution:
    Browser:
    Frames dropped at 4K 60fps:

- - - Updated - - -

My results:

CPU: i7-4700MQ (laptop)
    GPU: nVIDIA GT755M 2GB GDDR5
    Screen resolution: 1920x1080 (Full HD)
    Browser: Firefox 69.0.1
    Frames dropped at 4K 60fps: about 1500 during the whole video

...which means, the video is completely fluid most of the time but it lags and freezes in demanding parts.

Conclusion: not really capable of doing it, my laptop really lags at minute 3:00 and 4:40.

:)

rambomhtri, Sep 30, 2019
  2. David Haz Win User

Does Miracast support 4K?

Hello,

We suggest that you check with the manufacturer of the 4k display device that you are using if it is certified to work with Miracast. If your display device is certified to work with Miracast, then check if your PC device supports Miracast. You may do so
    by following the steps below:

• Click Start, then go to Settings >
      Projecting to this PC
    • Check if your device supports Miracast.

Regards.

David Haz, Sep 30, 2019
  3. meegjaZT Win User
    No 4K with Internet Explorer on YouTube

This has been going on for a long time yet Microsoft is not updating Internet Explorer to show 4K on YouTube? In Chrome and Edge, 4K is just fine.

If I check on Liste unterstützter Browser - YouTube with latest Internet Explorer, MSE & WebM VP9 is red, so it is not ready to play 4K video.

I think it is very strange that this is not solved? For years (for as far as begin 2015) there are complaints about this yet it still is not solved and 4K is an ever growing format. Very strange that there is no MSE & WebM VP8/9 for IE11 Can your PC handle 4K 60fps in YouTube? TEST IT! :(

meegjaZT, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Can your PC handle 4K 60fps in YouTube? TEST IT!

4K-60FPS ultra high definition themeS for windows 10

I'm trying to find a 4K UHD 60FPS video or picture screenshot theme for windows 10

lush grassy landscapes

farming machinery been used on the landscape

video game worlds

with great detail

The windows 10 themes in the store are nice, and the themes on the website or great also. where can safe theme downloads be founded I use my laptop for my university course work and I don't need a virus, spyware, or malware.

Allen D'Marcus Renfro, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

Can your PC handle 4K 60fps in YouTube? TEST IT!

1. Can your PC handle 4K 60fps in YouTube? TEST IT! - Similar Threads - handle 60fps YouTube

2. Troubles viewing 4k video from YouTube

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubles viewing 4k video from YouTube: I have a Windows 11 and there seems to be a problem when I'm watching 4K videos such as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62y2Qr-IEUA&t=106s The problem is that the video stalls a few times during playback and from what I can see when I move the mouse over the video...
  3. ClipChamp 60fps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ClipChamp 60fps: Hello,How do I make clipchamp export at 60fps? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clipchamp-60fps/6ab5545e-f98e-40df-be44-9a53f6a18046
  4. 60FPS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    60FPS: Hi, I can't export videos at 1080p@60fps in Video Editor from Windows 10.Send a feedback to Microsoft to add these features: Export up to 1080p@60fps and choose custom resolution to export it....
  5. 60FPS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    60FPS: Hi, I can't export videos at 1080p@60fps in Video Editor from Windows 10.Send a feedback to Microsoft to add these features: Export up to 1080p@60fps and choose custom resolution to export it....
  6. Recording at 4K@60FPS problems. A lot of frame dropping.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recording at 4K@60FPS problems. A lot of frame dropping.: So i have a bunch of replay files of the game Rocket League, I want to screen record them and upload it to YouTube. But when I use a screen recorder such as OBS, Streamlabs or Screen Grabber, it all starts to lagging making the final output about 1 frame per 4 seconds, while...
  7. 4k 60fps not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4k 60fps not working: hai, iam using a saphire pulse RX580 graphic card ,intel i5 9th gen processor 1month before 4k 60fps videos was working on windows movie & tv software smoothly .but now iam only getting sound no video i think its gone after an windows update...
  8. Can you **** test your updates?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can you **** test your updates?: I just installed your new update wich everytime is a **** fail. No one almost installs you updates anymore because they are that bad. The moment I started my pc from the update it immediately went black until I restarted it and when I logged back in when started playing a...
  9. 4K YouTube for M3P Problem?

in Windows 10 Support
    4K YouTube for M3P Problem?: I have a Windows 10 desktop and am trying to use 4K YouTube for M3P. I have my music from YouTube listed in Favourites on IE11. I have downloaded the 4K YouTube for M3P app, play my YouTube music via Favourites, copy the link under Paste Link. However, at the top of the...
  10. YouTube on Chrome: Video stutters every few seconds on 1080p 60fps

in Browsers and Email
    YouTube on Chrome: Video stutters every few seconds on 1080p 60fps: So I'm trying to get the best out of YouTube by playing videos on a max of 1080p 60fps (my laptop monitor has a resolution of 1600x900) when possible. Unfortunately, when I'm playing these videos at this quality, the video stops for a second or half every few seconds or so....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 4k 60fps fats playback miracast