Windows 10: Canceling choose a default program

Discus and support Canceling choose a default program in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [IMG] Hi, I have a question about restoring back the "choose a default app by file type", I accidentally picked a default program which I didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dsaki2005, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Canceling choose a default program

Canceling choose a default program [​IMG]

Hi, I have a question about restoring back the "choose a default app by file type", I accidentally picked a default program which I didn't mean to. And I want go back to where there shouldn't be any default program associate with that file extension, is there any way to do that? I don't the wordpad associate with this.

https://preview.redd.it/lmu8ks0ayw9...bp&s=48c4a84285a699430d7912b5772e2b017f983915

submitted by /u/dsaki2005
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dsaki2005, Jul 9, 2020
  2. theking2 Win User

Choose Default Program not working

• Right click on file
    • Select Open With | Choose Default Program...
    • select a program from the list.

The selected program is opened with the file form 1)
    • Close the program
    • Double click the file from 1.

The old program is opened.
    It seems that the functionality to choose a default program is not working.

How do I specifiy a default program for a file type using the File Explorer?

theking2, Jul 9, 2020
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Canceling choose a default program :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 9, 2020
  4. theking2 Win User

Canceling choose a default program

Choose Default Program not working

This is the case for an XML file but also .inf files, which are all text files, can be opened once with a text editor but after that it is not possible to change the editor using the steps you provide.

It is possible to select a text editor under Choose Default Program but as the select box is not displayed it is not possible to make the selection stick.

Could someone add this to the bugs list of explorer? Thanks!

theking2, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Canceling choose a default program

1. Canceling choose a default program - Similar Threads - Canceling choose default

2. How to choose a default program based on file extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to choose a default program based on file extension: I downloaded some fonts to use in WORD. I installed a Font Manager called FontBase. The fonts have extensions of .json and .yml. I go to settings>default apps>choose default apps by file type. [ATTACH] I click Open with and I see [ATTACH] That leads me to...
  3. Choosing a default web browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Choosing a default web browser: Since people using Windows 10 were given the right to choose the default browser we wanted, Microsoft should provide a way to install IE11 Microsoft should provide an alternative download? So, where is the Alternative?? Ruth 801...
  4. choosing a program to open a program file

in Windows 10 Customization
    choosing a program to open a program file: why can't I drop and drag a program file in windows 10 and it becomes the default program for that program file? I has worked from windows 95.........
  5. Cannot choose default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot choose default browser: I know how to set the default browser in Windows 10. Settings>Apps>Default apps. A recent update to Windows 10 has locked in MS Edge as my default browser. I cannot choose any other browser including IE11. I want Firefox to be my default browser. Also NONE of the following...
  6. Choosing Default Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Choosing Default Apps: I have about 20 or so apps on my computer but only 3 or 4 of them are presented as choices when I try to set one as default. The default I want is installed but it doesn't show up in the SET DEFAULT APPS process. VERY FRUSTRATING....
  7. Can't choose default program to open files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't choose default program to open files: Hello, I have been living with problem for a while. When making any file like: .css, .html, .php, .js and then trying to open them it shows the "How do you want to open this file?" list from where I select the program, for example Sublime Text 3. I select the program, it...
  8. Why can't I choose Outlook as a default mail program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I choose Outlook as a default mail program: when I click on an email address link, it takes me to the default mail program. I've tried to change the default mail program, but the only choices are "Mail" and "Chrome" how do we get outlook back??...
  9. Choosing default graphics card???

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Choosing default graphics card???: Hello, I have an AMD Radeon R5 340X graphics card installed in my Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop pc and I have been trying to figure out how to make the original Intel Xeon E3 graphics card that came with my PC the default card again. I feel like I remember seeing the option to...
  10. Choosing default for bash in cmd

in Windows 10 Support
    Choosing default for bash in cmd: Hi all, I have installed git before, so as a side effect, mingw is also installed. Currently, if I type bash in cmd, I got in bash provided by mingw. Now I want to activate Linux subsystem on windows 10. The question is, can I set the default or configure what the bash...