Windows 10: Canceling Optional Language Features download

Discus and support Canceling Optional Language Features download in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted to start typing in Mandarin on my Windows 10 PC, so I installed several different input languages for Chinese. I removed the input... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Starfish[xy33], Oct 29, 2019.

1. Canceling Optional Language Features download

Hi, I wanted to start typing in Mandarin on my Windows 10 PC, so I installed several different input languages for Chinese. I removed the input languages that I didn't like, but I didn't know that the optional features were still being downloaded, resulting in a pile-up of optional features. I want to reinstall a language from the clean slate, so I cancelled the downloads, only for these features to be stuck on "Canceling". When I closed the settings window and opened it up again, it went back to downloading them again. Is there anyway to forcefully cancel these downloads?

Canceling Optional Language Features download ab93f791-8045-407c-8caf-2e6f3625e99e?upload=true.png

:)

Starfish[xy33], Oct 29, 2019
  2. Kamka Win User

Cannot remove languages from Optional Features

Hi, all,

I have a Windows 10 (went through all of the Insider builds) and have a dozen languages that ended up in Optional Features (without my knowledge) that cannot be removed. Those languages (Chinese, Swedish, etc.) have only "Manage" button which does nothing.
    In Control Panel -> Languages I have only English and Bulgarian.

I see that there are two places for language packs to install - System32 and SysWOW64. The contents of SysWOW64 is what corresponds to the list in Settins -> System -> Apps & Features -> Optional Features.

I've read on other forums that there was a bug around builds 1004x that could lead to large install times and the addition of many LPK (language packs). And indeed, my RTM install took a good whole night to complete.

So far I have:

• used Lpksetup /u and uninstalled everything there but English. This removed only the languages from System32 but had no effect on SysWOW64 and what is listed in Optional Features.
    • have added the languages listed in Optional Features in Control Panel -> Languages so that I can uninstall the language packs from there, but the option available is to Download and install the pack and not to uninstall it
    • With #2 in mind, I have downloaded the corresponding language pack in Control Panel -> Languages and have then uninstalled it - Optional Features still list it

How can I remove those languages?

Kamka, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Uninstalled a language, Basic Typing in "Manage Optional Features" still present.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to try adding the Polish Language completely by checking the options
    Speech and Handwriting in Install language features.

Once you have added the Polish Language, restart the computer once and follow the below steps.

• Click on the Start Menu > Search for PowerShell >
      Right-click on PowerShell > Click on Run As Administrator.

Once the PowerShell window is up and running, type the following command and hit
      Enter

Get-WinUserLanguageList

• Now, you will get the languages which are installed. Make a note of language tag of the language which you want to retain. Let's say that this language tag is
      en-US.

Now, type the below command and hit Enter.

Set-WinUserLanguageList en-US

• This command will make other languages disappear.
    • Once the above commands are executed successfully, restart the computer once and check if you are still seeing the
      Polish Typing in Manage optional features.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Oct 29, 2019
  4. jsmithy1 Win User

Canceling Optional Language Features download

Language options fail to download

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the suggestions are of no help and don't address the specific issues I raise.

How do I change the Speech language if English (United States) is the only option and yet if I try to download the Speech pack for English (UK) it fails?

The link you sent to language packs has no download links as far as I can see but the page just lists languages.

Still not fixed...

Download fails every time.

jsmithy1, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Canceling Optional Language Features download

1. Canceling Optional Language Features download - Similar Threads - Canceling Optional Language

2. No option to cancel downloading/installing a driver update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No option to cancel downloading/installing a driver update?: There's should be a simple option. A button next to the updatea simple "Cancel". Thing is, the latest AMD drivers for my set just don't worki guess AMD didn't test my A6-6310 apu with r4 and there is a REASON i've already opted out via Radeon settings. Stop forcing it upon...
  3. Unable to download language features

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to download language features: I'm completely unable to download language features, it just says that it's searching for language features, is there a way to manually install these or another possible solution? If anyone is wondering, I'm using a HP Laptop 15-da0xxx 4XU96EA#ABU.[ATTACH]...
  4. Can't download the feature language

Can't download the feature language: Dear Microsoft, Good evening, My Name is Nanda and i'm from Indonesia. I would like to ask, how to adding other language in the windows. my administrator language is US English, so I want to install Japanese language. but when I tried to install the language there is...
  5. Windows 10 and language features unable to download

Windows 10 and language features unable to download: Hi all Fresh install of Enterprise Win10 1803 here and I'm encountering a nuisance with the language pack, I have selected English (United Kingdom) under 'Add language' but it's failing to download 'optical character recognition', 'speech recognition' and 'typing' under...
  6. Downloading Language Options Keeps Stopping/Failing

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloading Language Options Keeps Stopping/Failing: I am unable to download from Language Options (a mere 33MB of Handwriting). It keeps stopping/failing without any error code. My connection is NOT set to Metered. Any ideas? 121098
  7. Language feature keeps failing to download.

Language feature keeps failing to download.: Hello everyone, Today I added another language to my laptop (English GB) and my system started downloading the features for this language. This was all fine, until it tried to download the English (GB) speech recognition. The download keeps failing halfway through and it...
  8. Download Language typing features FAILED

Download Language typing features FAILED: Hello, just recently reinstalled my laptop.. Now every day in on it, i get several prompts from windows to "download language typing features" When i press the notification, it says something with "we are adding..." i press that and i direct to page "manage optional...
  9. 'Download language typing features ...' keeps popping up

in Windows 10 Support
    'Download language typing features ...' keeps popping up: Hello Forum users. 'Download language typing features ...' keep popping up on the screen every 20 minutes or so. See attached screenshot. How do I get rid of that? Thanks Forum Peeps. Pierre 117623
  10. Optional features keep downloading

in Windows 10 Support
    Optional features keep downloading: Despite numerous registry tweaks I applied, I still get these stupid optional features to download and install shortly after Windows boots for the first time. For example, "optical character recognition". Is there anything I can do? 113551

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to add cancelled optional feature app in window 10