Windows 10: Cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine

Discus and support Cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine. I am however able to access it from my Windows 7 machine.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BillyLewis2, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine

I cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine. I am however able to access it from my Windows 7 machine. After reading about this issue I found that it might be because the Windows 10 machine security policy “Network security:Minimum session security for NTLM SSP (including RPC based) Clients“, both “Require NTLMv2 session security” or “Require 128-bit encryption” are checked.

These two options are checked per network policy apparently b/c I cannot change them, they are grayed out.

The older systems like Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008 have No requirements. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 require 128-bit encryption.

I am tasked w/ finding a way around this b/c there are many users that currently use this method to access important files.

Why can't I see the share and connect to it?

Regards,

Billy

:)

BillyLewis2, Oct 18, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Shared directories are visible but can not be accessed in Windows 10 Workgroup

I have upgraded to Windows 10 on two computers in a workgroup. The share directories have sharing setup with read/write access for the users on the workgroup and the share directories are visible through file explorer on both machines. However when either
    user attempts to access locations on the other device there is a message saying that access in not allowed.

How does this get resolved.

RoddyBCampbell, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine

printer problems between windows 2000 server and windows 10

I have upgraded to windows 10 on my desk top. I share my brother printer with my work group with out a problem, I also am connected to a network run by windows 2000 server. I try to connect the printer to be share through my computer to the windows 2000
    server I get an error saying access is not allowed. I can see the printer but can not use it.

help please.

Carl

CarlChaimovitz, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine

1. Cannot access a shared directory on a Windows 2000 Server from a Windows 10 machine - Similar Threads - Cannot access shared

2. Active Directory Backup and Restore from Windowss 2000 server to Windows 2022 server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Active Directory Backup and Restore from Windowss 2000 server to Windows 2022 server: I'm planning to upgrade my server, my server is Windows 2000 pretty old. Planning to upgrade to Windows 2022. I cannotdo an inplace upgrade. Planning to backup the Active directory from Windows 2000 then restore to Windows 2022. Is this possible?...
  3. Active Directory Backup and Restore from Windowss 2000 server to Windows 2022 server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Active Directory Backup and Restore from Windowss 2000 server to Windows 2022 server: I'm planning to upgrade my server, my server is Windows 2000 pretty old. Planning to upgrade to Windows 2022. I cannotdo an inplace upgrade. Planning to backup the Active directory from Windows 2000 then restore to Windows 2022. Is this possible?...
  4. Windows Server 2019 Shares no longer accessible from windows 10 clients

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2019 Shares no longer accessible from windows 10 clients: I have an issue that is completely unexplainable, after a reboot of our windows 2019 server shares are longer accessible, except for home user share,All shares are viable on the server and seem fine, I can tell if Windows 10 is the issue or windows server 2019, we have been...
  5. Cannot access QNAP shares from windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access QNAP shares from windows 10: I have a QNAP NAS connected in my LAN having a name (nas-name) and an IP (nas-ip). After a brand new W10 PC entered my network I got the 'Windows Cannot access \\nas-ip" error when typing \\nas-ip in explorer. All other PCs can access the NAS folder tree in explorer though. I...
  6. Windows 10 Cannot Access Server 2000 Network Drive

Windows 10 Cannot Access Server 2000 Network Drive: Hi All my company purchase new PC with Win10 but i cannot access our old Server Windows 2000, i tried enable SMBv1, NLM Security, Encryption 128Bit etc still work, keep prompt user name password incorrect, did not support anymore?...
  7. cant share from a windows 8 machine to a windows 10 machine

cant share from a windows 8 machine to a windows 10 machine: I have had to transfer my server at home which is only used to store media files and other required stuff to back it up from ZFS GURU back to windows 8 due to the new requirement in windows 10 with samba. but now even with the server running windows 8 i cant access the...
  8. Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder

Windows 10 machine can't access shared folder: When I try to map a drive with Windows 10, Windows Explorer doesn't see any of the exported network folders. There is nothing under "Network". Another Windows 10 laptop I have can map these drives so I know the partitions are shared out properly shared and there are no...
  9. Windows 10 File Shares not accessible from Server 2012

Windows 10 File Shares not accessible from Server 2012: We have a newly imaged Windows 10 box that we will be using as an SCCM DP. Currently the Central server cannot access the file shares on the Windows 10 box, after digging deeper we have found that other Windows 10 boxes can hit file shares on it, but Server 2012 R2 systems...
  10. Cannot access Windows 10 Share

Cannot access Windows 10 Share: Hello I am having trouble networking 2 Windows 10 computers together on my network. This is kind of odd, I have a Windows 7 PC that can hit the file share with no issues. And on the troubled computer I can access the shares on the Windows 7 PC. But the Windows 10...