Windows 10: Cannot access any files on external USB backups

Discus and support Cannot access any files on external USB backups in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a small network with Server 2019 and 3 Windows 10 PCs. The server had backups of all the data from the Windows 10 PCs. The mainboard on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Richard Sargeant, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Cannot access any files on external USB backups

Hi,

I have a small network with Server 2019 and 3 Windows 10 PCs. The server had backups of all the data from the Windows 10 PCs. The mainboard on the server failed so the data on the RAID 1 array is not available. I have 2 backups of all the data from the server on to 2 big external USB drives. Not a fancy backup program, just copies of all the jpg, doc, pdf, xls and other data files, in exactly the folder structure from the Windows 10 PCs.

The external USB drives have only been connected to the server when actually making copies of the data. In fact, the copies are several years old - but better than nothing!

I connected the 2 USB drives to several different Windows 10 PCs. The entire folder structures are visible with all folders and files apparently present and intact. But not a single file is readable!

Doesn't matter what the files is, jpg, doc, pdf, xls, none can be read. Error messages vary, but are all along the lines of "The file is damaged and cannot be read".

This happens with both USB drives on all the W10 PCs available to me and also on an old W7 laptop that I also have.

It's almost as if the files have been touched by RansomWare but I have good A/V and have seen no messages.

Files on all PCs that are not on these 2 external USB drives can be read. Files on another external USB can be read.

I am tearing my hair out here. A lifetime of photos and files cannot be retrieved.

Any one any ideas please?

RS

:)

Richard Sargeant, Mar 12, 2019

2. Can't Access Either of My External Drives After 14393

Hi Michael,

To better assist you with your concern, I would like to ask if you're getting any error messages when accessing your external drives? If yes, can you provide us with the exact error message?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Go to Device Manager.
    • Click on USB Mass Storage.
    • Right click on your USB, and then click on Update Driver Software.
    • Once done, check if you can access your external drives.

Regards.

Ruizell Rey, Mar 12, 2019
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Cannot access any files on external USB backups

External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Cannot access any files on external USB backups

1. Cannot access any files on external USB backups - Similar Threads - Cannot access files

2. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  3. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  4. Backup files to external disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup files to external disk: Please help me to find out how can I do this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-files-to-external-disk/586ed305-b89e-43aa-b8ee-1992efd895ac
  5. Backup files to external HHD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Backup files to external HHD: I want to backup files to the external HDD rather than PC HDD. Is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-files-to-external-hhd/f032e231-46f7-41a8-8d4c-43ab0b777e6b
  6. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  7. Access Denied to any external drive

Access Denied to any external drive: Hi, Whenever I connect an usb or harddrive, my laptop gives me a "location not found: access denied" error. For my external harddrive I have tried everything I could find on the internet, I tried to take ownership, by going to the security tab and changing the owner to...
  8. My external hard drive is recognized by my laptop, but I cannot access any of the files on...

My external hard drive is recognized by my laptop, but I cannot access any of the files on...: I'm using windows 10, the drive is SP Armor A30. I've tried uninstall, and several other online techniques. I even tried to open it but the screws were too tight. I've used Recuva and it did nothing. I've ran recovery program and it came back with an error . Error Checking...
  9. cannot access the USB

cannot access the USB: I receive the message -you don’t currently have permission to access this folder- when I try to access the USB. I was recommended to open the security tab on this USB but I cannot find any security tab there....
  10. Cannot Access Files on my USB Drive or any external devices.

Cannot Access Files on my USB Drive or any external devices.: I am trying to open files on an external USB drive and I keep getting the message: 'You don't currently have permission to access this file.' You are supposed to click continue to permanently get access but then I get a message: 'Yu have been denied permission to...