Windows 10: Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update

Discus and support Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I am having problems after upgrading to Windows 10 (for the second time). If I try accessing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Shathox3x, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Shathox3x Win User

Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I am having problems after upgrading to Windows 10 (for the second time). If I try accessing the settings from either the start menu, through the tab in This PC, or anywhere else, it opens for a split second, then it closes. No error message or anything.

When I try to access personalization, the display settings, and whatnot, I get an error. I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for in Default Programs, as I never had to do it in previous versions of Windows.

Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update [​IMG]

I've upgraded from Windows 8.1, and I don't know what caused this. As I said, I can't access Windows Update, so I don't know if there are any updates available. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: The problem has been fixed, here's the link for the workaround for anyone else who's having this problem: Settings doesnt launch, or launches the Store instead - Microsoft Community

:)

Shathox3x, Jul 31, 2015

2. I cannot access or logon or do anything.

Hello Jasper,

To better assist you, please clarify the following:

1. Is this a desktop or a laptop? (Make and model)

2. Have you tried booting your computer in Safe Mode?

3. What steps have you tried so far?

You can refer to the link below. The article is about troubleshooting Black screens in Windows 10:

Troubleshooting Black Screens

Let us know what happens.

Anthony Cato, Jul 31, 2015
  3. I cannot access or logon or do anything.

Last night my computer was fine, when I woke up this morning and turned it on it took about 2 hours to go to the logon screen, during this time the ring of dots is there, but it is really pixelated, slow and takes up the majority of the time. When I do
    finally get to the logon screen it is really slow and unresponsive and when I do finally log on it takes about 20 minutes and then the screen is complete darkness with just my cursor. I also cannot access my BIOS even though I previously could. I have tried
    methods I have seen online, entering my password and then doing windows + P double down arrow and enter and it doesn't work, I cannot install windows again for some reason because my BIOS does not detect the USB with it on. Does anyone know what to do?

Jasper Tecklenberg, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update

1. Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update - Similar Threads - Cannot access anything

2. Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings: ISSUES Accessing 'Personalization' from Windows settings screen I open Settings and click Personalization from the available options. I can open all the other options, but for this one, nothing happens. Once I click on it, the window 'freezes' and I can't do anything but...
  3. set permissions so that everyone cannot access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    set permissions so that everyone cannot access: I have shared HDD in work group using win 10,,,,HDD contained folders....On some folders i want to set permissions so that everyone cannot access to it???Can anyone help me 93704
  4. Cannot change windows update settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot change windows update settings: I do not want Windows 10 to update and restart my PC automatically - I want to decide when that is done. In the Settings it is fixed at 'Automatic' update. I have followed two suggestions to alter the setting that searches turned up, but neither have worked so far....
  5. cannot change windows update settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot change windows update settings: I tried to change the windows update settings and I can’t!!!!! I get a message saying that some settings are managed by my system administrator!!!!! I am the only user in this laptop with administrator privileges… How comes that I can’t change the settings? 2483
  6. Cannot Access The Windows 10 Upgrade Pages From MS

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Access The Windows 10 Upgrade Pages From MS: I have been following these forums steadily over the past week and have not had to post, b/c have always been able to find what I was looking for, this is an amazing resource. OK, had to get that out there, My issue, All the links to the MS Windows 10 seem to be down, yet...
  7. Cannot open anything

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open anything: Start up and log in were normal and desktop loaded but there is nothing on my task bar except for start menu and Cortana but when I hover over the task bar I just get a loading symbol. Nothing seems to be responding. I've tried opening task manager and nothing. 52826
  8. I cannot access the settings for the Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    I cannot access the settings for the Start menu: Hello everyone, This is pretty straightforward: I cannot access the settings for the start menu. When I do a right click on the task bar and then click on "properties", I should have a "Start menu" tab in the window. The problem is : I don't have that tab. Also, I don't...
  9. cannot add anything to Quick Access on Build 101240

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot add anything to Quick Access on Build 101240: I cannot add anything to Quick Access on Build 101240. How can I fix this. [img] 8483
  10. I cannot access any settings

in Windows 10 Support
    I cannot access any settings: Hi, I was reading Brink's post on changing account pictures in Win 10 as I cannot change my account picture on my Dell Optiplex. Noticed: C:\Users\Public\Public Account Pictures\S-1-5-21.......(GUID for user account). I have read Brink's: How to Fix Manage "File does not...