Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update

Discus and support Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I am having problems after upgrading to Windows 10 (for the second time). If I try accessing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Shathox3x, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Shathox3x Win User

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I am having problems after upgrading to Windows 10 (for the second time). If I try accessing the settings from either the start menu, through the tab in This PC, or anywhere else, it opens for a split second, then it closes. No error message or anything.

When I try to access personalization, the display settings, and whatnot, I get an error. I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for in Default Programs, as I never had to do it in previous versions of Windows.

Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update [​IMG]

I've upgraded from Windows 8.1, and I don't know what caused this. As I said, I can't access Windows Update, so I don't know if there are any updates available. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: The problem has been fixed, here's the link for the workaround for anyone else who's having this problem: Settings doesnt launch, or launches the Store instead - Microsoft Community

:)

Shathox3x, Jul 31, 2015
  2. Anthony Cato Win User

I cannot access or logon or do anything.

Hello Jasper,

To better assist you, please clarify the following:

1. Is this a desktop or a laptop? (Make and model)

2. Have you tried booting your computer in Safe Mode?

3. What steps have you tried so far?

You can refer to the link below. The article is about troubleshooting Black screens in Windows 10:

Troubleshooting Black Screens

Let us know what happens.

Anthony Cato, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Jasper Tecklenberg Win User
    I cannot access or logon or do anything.

Last night my computer was fine, when I woke up this morning and turned it on it took about 2 hours to go to the logon screen, during this time the ring of dots is there, but it is really pixelated, slow and takes up the majority of the time. When I do
    finally get to the logon screen it is really slow and unresponsive and when I do finally log on it takes about 20 minutes and then the screen is complete darkness with just my cursor. I also cannot access my BIOS even though I previously could. I have tried
    methods I have seen online, entering my password and then doing windows + P double down arrow and enter and it doesn't work, I cannot install windows again for some reason because my BIOS does not detect the USB with it on. Does anyone know what to do?

Jasper Tecklenberg, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot access anything in ms-settings or Windows Update - Similar Threads - Cannot access anything

2. Windows 10 1709 - Office 2013 Volume License does not update

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Windows 10 1709 - Office 2013 Volume License does not update: Hello, Been having an issue lately with Office 2013 VL on Windows 10 1709. To test, I just spun up a brand new VM, installed Windows 10 1709 and Office 2013. Both are activated and the 'Give me updates for other MS products... " is checked in Windows Update. I receive...
  3. Windows 10 Pro Calendar Snooze Feature not Working - 2018

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro Calendar Snooze Feature not Working - 2018: I updated to a new PC this summer. My old one was 32 bit and my new one is 64. I have the latest updates installed. Ever since changing over, the snooze feature does not work in the Calendar app. The reminder appears and if I snooze it for any length of time, it never shows...
  4. Reset Factory Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset Factory Settings: I have a Primebook that I want to reset to factory settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/reset-factory-settings/86bcef12-4312-4d02-ac62-ba0aeadc413e
  5. Has anybody succesfully installed Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Has anybody succesfully installed Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) update?: I have tried 10 times by now and it always gets stuck at 75%. What happens at 75%? I would like to know! While looking for a solution I have only come across a million other posts regarding issues with update 1803. This makes me think nobody actually has been able to...
  6. Can't fix windows error code 0x80080005 (Windows 10)

Can't fix windows error code 0x80080005 (Windows 10): I recently replaced my dead m.2 ssd with a Samsung 860 evo 1tb and since then I have gotten the error code 0x80080005 when trying to update/download anything from windows. Even after multiple ssd formats and clean installs the error code persists which is pretty strange. I...
  7. Windows 10 updates and static DHCP changing to automatic

Windows 10 updates and static DHCP changing to automatic: My company is using Windows 10 workstations for print servers and are constantly receiving Windows 10 updates. We are finding that after remotely or in person, logging into the workstation as Administrator, Windows 10 Enterprise will start doing an update. In some cases we...
  8. Windows 10 Device Manager Multiple Code 12 Errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Device Manager Multiple Code 12 Errors: I recently installed Windows 10 on an older EarthWalk Lap15EW12 and right after that i noticed in device manager that multiple devices were giving Code 12s and were not usable. Here are the devices listed 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Broadcom 802.11G Wireless...
  9. Mouse pointer disappearing in google chrome, in Windows 10

Mouse pointer disappearing in google chrome, in Windows 10: This question has been asked for over 4 years and there is still no permanent solution from Microsoft. Re-launching google chrome can solve the issue, but it comes back soon. Uninstall/re-install google chrome also works, but the issue comes back. Turning off hardware...
  10. Unable to update drivers due to an error

Unable to update drivers due to an error: I just replaced my hard drive in my computer (previous one began to fail) so I know that my current headset works with windows 10 as I've been using it before for a long time. I only just got my PC back today and now my headset won't work. I have tried to update the drivers...