Windows 10: Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings

Discus and support Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; ISSUES Accessing 'Personalization' from Windows settings screen I open Settings and click Personalization from the available options. I can open all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Psyche, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Psyche Win User

Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings

ISSUES
    • Accessing 'Personalization' from Windows settings screen
      I open Settings and click Personalization from the available options. I can open all the other options, but for this one, nothing happens. Once I click on it, the window 'freezes' and I can't do anything but close it. I can continue with other work away from the Window. Sometimes, after a period of time, when I hover over the Settings window, the cursor is shown as the 'I'm busy loading something circle'. I've left it for hours and nothing else happens.
    • Opening Background from the Themes and related settings page menu
      The Themes and related settings page takes a few seconds to open. I can click on any of the options and amend them except the Background option. It just 'freezes' as above and the only option I have is to close the window.
    • Window freezes when opening Background settings from Search box
      When I click Background settings from the search options, the Settings window opens (blue with a white gear cog icon) and then nothing else happens - it's 'frozen' as above.
    • Cannot open Personalize by right-clicking the desktop
      When I right-click the desktop and choose Personalize, the Settings window opens (blue with a white gear cog icon) and then nothing else happens - it's 'frozen' as above.
    RELATED INFO
    It might be relevant that I've recently had and resolved an issue with Windows where my keyboard was not being recognised in the search bar, the calculator and other Windows Modern Apps. I resolved it by closing down Cortana in the Task Manager and running C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe. I've rebooted several times since. Sometimes when I reboot the issue comes back and I have to do the fixes again.

WHAT I'VE TRIED
    Rebooting
    Full Sophos scan (nothing found)
    Running the following (nothing found)
    • sfc /scannow
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Hoping someone can help!

:)

Psyche, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Psyche Win User

ISSUES
    1. Accessing 'Personalization' from Windows settings screen
      I open Settings and click Personalization from the available options. I can open all the other options, but for this one, nothing happens. Once I click on it, the window 'freezes' and I can't do anything but close it. I can continue with other work away from the Window. Sometimes, after a period of time, when I hover over the Settings window, the cursor is shown as the 'I'm busy loading something circle'. I've left it for hours and nothing else happens.
    2. Opening Background from the Themes and related settings page menu
      The Themes and related settings page takes a few seconds to open. I can click on any of the options and amend them except the Background option. It just 'freezes' as above and the only option I have is to close the window.
    3. Window freezes when opening Background settings from Search box
      When I click Background settings from the search options, the Settings window opens (blue with a white gear cog icon) and then nothing else happens - it's 'frozen' as above.
    4. Cannot open Personalize by right-clicking the desktop
      When I right-click the desktop and choose Personalize, the Settings window opens (blue with a white gear cog icon) and then nothing else happens - it's 'frozen' as above.
    RELATED INFO
    It might be relevant that I've recently had and resolved an issue with Windows where my keyboard was not being recognised in the search bar, the calculator and other Windows Modern Apps. I resolved it by closing down Cortana in the Task Manager and running C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe. I've rebooted several times since. Sometimes when I reboot the issue comes back and I have to do the fixes again.

WHAT I'VE TRIED
    Rebooting
    Full Sophos scan (nothing found)
    Running the following (nothing found)
    • sfc /scannow
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Hoping someone can help!

Psyche, Jan 1, 2019
  3. Jan Del Win User
    regarding background personalize settings

Hi Singh,

The Some setting are managed by your organization message usually appears if there is any changes happened on the Registry Editor or Group policy Editor. We suggest editing the Group Policy by following the steps below:

• Open Group Policy by typing it in the search box.
    • Look for Administrative Templates and click on it.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Click on Prevent changing desktop background and it will open an new window.
    • Select Disable on the choices and click Apply.

Once the changes were made, try to customize your background again.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Jan Del, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings

Set background slideshow

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to set slide desktop.

• Press Windows logo key + I key.
    • Click on Personalization.
    • Under Background dropdown menu, select slideshow.
    • Click on Browse button and then select the folder from which the desktop slide’s to be applied.

Hope this information is helpful. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings - Similar Threads - Cannot access 'Background'

2. OneDrive Personal - cannot access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Personal - cannot access: Cannot access OneDrive folders and files via web browsers or Windows synch apps. Happening on three personal accounts that all have premium features. Is this everywhere?...
  3. OneDrive Personal - cannot access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Personal - cannot access: Cannot access OneDrive folders and files via web browsers or Windows synch apps. Happening on three personal accounts that all have premium features. Is this everywhere?...
  4. Cannot Set Desktop Background in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Set Desktop Background in Windows 11: Hello;I am currently unable to set any photos as desktop backgrounds in Windows 11, including the default images. The only exception is when I set the "sunrise" theme, in which the "river" image appears. I am able to choose a solid color in the personalization menu, which is...
  5. Cannot Set Desktop Background in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Set Desktop Background in Windows 11: Hello;I am currently unable to set any photos as desktop backgrounds in Windows 11, including the default images. The only exception is when I set the "sunrise" theme, in which the "river" image appears. I am able to choose a solid color in the personalization menu, which is...
  6. Personalize Background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personalize Background: Is there a way to set a fix time in changing background picture? I would like to set it for every HH:00, HH:15, HH:30 and HH:45 OR HH:00 and HH:30 It may look like an interval of 15 minutes or 30 minutes, but not really. Sample: If I open the desktop at HH:20, the...
  7. Personalize Background

Personalize Background: How do I create a background that displays my Mantra. in text? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/personalize-background/e8374310-ee28-441c-b118-d336de459510
  8. Settings Issue: Personalization "Background" Setting Does Not Take

Settings Issue: Personalization "Background" Setting Does Not Take: Greetings... One of my favorite (fun) settings in Personalization was the "Slide Show" option for Background (desktop). It used to work just fine, but suddenly it just reverted to a solid color background. When I try to restore the "Slide Show" option, the system does not...
  9. Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access 'Background' or 'Personalization' Windows settings: ISSUES Accessing 'Personalization' from Windows settings screen I open Settings and click Personalization from the available options. I can open all the other options, but for this one, nothing happens. Once I click on it, the window 'freezes' and I can't do anything but...
  10. How to access windows 10 Personalizations (Background) Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to access windows 10 Personalizations (Background) Folder: Twice in the last month Windows 10 has chosen a file folder and one file image as my background(wallpaper) instead of a image file of my choosing. I use landscape images from different countries I visit in Google Earth Pro. So I have to go to the image reset it as a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop background settings windows 10

2. desktop personalization

3. cannot access personalization settings on my account

4. wallpaper settings managed by organization,
  5. ms settings personalization background error