Windows 10: Cannot access Bitlocker code in my account due to old phone number

Discus and support Cannot access Bitlocker code in my account due to old phone number in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Yesterday my laptop crashed because of a driver related issue and I got stuck in a boot loop. The solution would be to boot in a safe mode and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by filipsvec, Sep 20, 2021.

1. filipsvec Win User

Cannot access Bitlocker code in my account due to old phone number

Hello, Yesterday my laptop crashed because of a driver related issue and I got stuck in a boot loop. The solution would be to boot in a safe mode and install the missing driver or to just do a factory reset at least those are the two solutions that I know of. The issue is that both of these are locked behind Bitlocker. Until yesterday I did not know this functionality even existed. So I went into my MS account, loged in, went into devices and into manage recovery keys. This is were my issue lies, my acc has a two step verification on. As I do not regularly use my MS account I had my old phone

:)

filipsvec, Sep 20, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft account password recovery requires two verification codes being sent using two different verification methods. Each Microsoft account has at least two verification methods, the phone number and additional email address which are asked and required when you set up a new Microsoft account with a new hotmail.com or outlook.com email or using a third party email.

When the thief who got your phone tries to recover your password, all your verification methods / security info phone numbers and email addresses will be listed for him to select one. OK, the thief naturally selects your phone number, gets the code sent as a text message, and enters it.

But, clicking Next after entering the code he needs to select another security info contact (phone / email) from the list to receive second verification code.

Password recovery is not possible with just your phone, the system is clever enough to make it impossible by requiring two codes being sent to two different phones and / or emails.

You can add as many phone numbers and email address as you wish as security info contacts at https://account.live.com/proofs/mana...&refp=security. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add at least another security email address; if you only have one phone number and one email added, those which were required when you set up the Microsoft account, and that thief got your phone, the recovery would be as impossible to you as it is to him, you both having access to just one of required two verification methods.

3. Need to add my new phone number to account.

Hi Kim,

Your phone number on your Microsoft account is part of the security info to add privacy to your account.

If you want to reset your phone number, you'll need to remove the existing number first then add the new one. Follow the steps below:

• Go to the Security basics page and sign in with your Microsoft account.
    • Select Update info.
    • You may be asked to enter a security code to continue. If you don't have access to your alternate email or phone number, choose get a code a different way. Use the drop-down list to choose security info that you can access, or choose I
      don't have any of these
    • You’ll see your security info under Microsoft account. Choose
      Remove for any you want to remove. You may be asked to add new security info before you can remove the old info.
    • Once done, select Add security info then follow the instructions to enter your email or phone number.
    • We’ll send a security code to that new email or phone number. Enter that security code, and press Next. Your new security info will appear in your list.

Hope this helps. Post back should you have other concerns so we can further assist you.

Aldwin Ale, Sep 20, 2021
  4. Cannot access Bitlocker code in my account due to old phone number

How to change phone number associated with a microsoft account

Hi,

Phone number is one of your security info, which is only used to verify your identity if you're accessing sensitive personal information or if we detect a problem with your account.
    To change the phone number associated with your Microsoft account, we recommend to follow the steps below:

• First, go to the
      Security basics
      page and sign in with your Microsoft account.
    • Select Update info.
    • Select Add security info. then follow the instructions to enter your email or phone number.
    • We'll send a security code to that new email or phone number. Enter that security code, and press
      Next. Your new security info will appear in you list.

Check this
    link
    for Security info & security codes.

Let us know if you need more help.

Marvelos Reg, Sep 20, 2021
Thema:

Cannot access Bitlocker code in my account due to old phone number

1. Cannot access Bitlocker code in my account due to old phone number - Similar Threads - Cannot access Bitlocker

2. Bitlocker recovery key not accessible due to old phone number in microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key not accessible due to old phone number in microsoft account: I need a Bitlocker Recovery Key, but have a new phone number and can therefore not retrieve it. If I want to change my security info, I need to wait for 30 days to get access to my account. Is there a way to circumvent this?...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key not accessible due to old phone number in microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key not accessible due to old phone number in microsoft account: I need a Bitlocker Recovery Key, but have a new phone number and can therefore not retrieve it. If I want to change my security info, I need to wait for 30 days to get access to my account. Is there a way to circumvent this?...
  4. Cannot access my laptop 0x8009002d - Microsoft account with old phone number associated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access my laptop 0x8009002d - Microsoft account with old phone number associated: So I may have entered the wrong PIN or something but now can't access my laptop.It asks me to login to my microsoft account which I can but now it asks me to enter the code that I shall receive by SMS text, the problem is that I created this account so long ago that the...
  5. Cannot access my laptop 0x8009002d - Microsoft account with old phone number associated

Cannot access my laptop 0x8009002d - Microsoft account with old phone number associated: So I may have entered the wrong PIN or something but now can't access my laptop.It asks me to login to my microsoft account which I can but now it asks me to enter the code that I shall receive by SMS text, the problem is that I created this account so long ago that the...
  6. Cannot access my laptop 0x8009002d - Microsoft account with old phone number associated

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. Changing Phone number to access account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Phone number to access account: Need to access my sons account to change his phone number. Now stuck in a loop as the code is send to the old obsolete phone number. Pls advice. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-phone-number-to-access-account/5b7a319a-2240-41a8-9c0a-f95edd842f86
  8. Unable to access Bitlocker key after updating old phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access Bitlocker key after updating old phone number: Some windows update and restart failed on my surface pro 7 and gave a blue screen and I tried troubleshooting it and realized I needed to enter the Bitlocker key, now I go to my account and realize it had the old phone number, I update it to my current phone number and it...
  9. Unable to access Bitlocker key after updating old phone number

Unable to access Bitlocker key after updating old phone number: Some windows update and restart failed on my surface pro 7 and gave a blue screen and I tried troubleshooting it and realized I needed to enter the Bitlocker key, now I go to my account and realize it had the old phone number, I update it to my current phone number and it...
  10. Verification code is going to my old phone number

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Verification code is going to my old phone number: Hello, I have a microsoft email account through work, it ends with onmicrosoft.com. I was told its a commercial type of email account. My problem is that when i try to access parts of my account, microsoft is sending the verification code to my old phone number which I...