Windows 10: Cannot access certain websites

Discus and support Cannot access certain websites in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello All, I am not able to access certain websites like ebay. I am getting this error This site can't be reached 'ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED' or I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by windowsten, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Cannot access certain websites

Hello All,

I am not able to access certain websites like ebay. I am getting this error This site can't be reached 'ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED' or I get this error 'ERR_INVALID_CHUNKED_ENCODING'.

I have tried changed the DNS settings. However, it then works sometimes and the othet times it does not. I have also tried disabling my antivirus firewalll but no luck. Can anyone please help? I am not sure,. if there is malware

Thanks

:)

windowsten, Dec 27, 2016
  2. HopeAM Win User

CANNOT ACCESS CERTAIN WEBSITES

hello, thanks for the reply.

Yes i do get the message 'this site can't be reached'

I haven't made any changes prior to the problem but i did try to make changes to the firewall and proxy after realizing it.

And yes i can access it using other networks

HopeAM, Dec 27, 2016
  3. oligg Win User
    Cannot access certain websites

Problem description:

After upgrading to Win10, I can no longer access certain websites including Microsoft forums, activation servers, and Skype, etc. Instead, the page attempts to load and eventually shows a connection timed out error. For some sites such as Microsoft answers,
    the site partially loads, in this example only the content in the header but not anything in the main section of the page.

Additional details:

The problem is present for these sites on all browsers.

There are no issues when connecting to these sites on the same network using a device running Win8.1.

There are no proxy connections.

There are no modifications to the host file.

The problem can be rectified by connecting to a VPN server.

Steps taken to troubleshoot the problem:

Running the Windows network troubleshooter.

Disabling all firewall applications.

Flush DNS.

Use Google's public DNS.

Nothing has worked so far. I have also rebooted to safe mode with networking, but I could not connect to the internet due to lack of LAN cable and safe mode not recognising the wireless network adapter.

Any help regarding this strange issue would be greatly appreciated.

oligg, Dec 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you tried a different browser? Which browser are you using?

Do you have any other devices and can they access the same website using the same router?

You will find technical content on this by searching using the error string e.g.
    ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED

dalchina, Dec 27, 2016
  5. Hi,

I have tried using Edge and I just get a message 'Hmm can't reach this page'. I have tried using ebay. Also, when I try to sign into MSDN subscriptions; I get the error message 'Bad Request - Invalid Header name'. I have used another laptop to access ebay and it works. I have also tried googling and could not find a resolution.

windowsten, Dec 27, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Have you ever used a VPN? Anything that would create proxy settings?

I suggest you try uninstalling your AV, as some reports indicate ERR_INVALID_CHUNKED_ENCODING is resolved by doing this.

Then reinstall it if resolved and retry.

Have you only used Edge? Have you tried IE or any other browser?

Further:

Could you post examples of the exact URL you can't access?
    Which country are you in?

History:
    When were you last able to access these?
    Assuming you were able to access them, are you aware of any relevant changes you may have made?

dalchina, Dec 27, 2016
  7. Hi,

I uninstalled my av and all the sites are working again.

So, do I not use an AV. i had bitdefender installed. It never caused a problem in all these years. Can you explain why this happened?

windowsten, Dec 27, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, that's progress. Good. No, sorry. All I can say is that others have reported the same effect with Bitdefender.

I would suggest you make a report to Bitdefender. Months ago some found Bitdefender's port scan caused (quite different) problems- I think they must have resolved that.

I suppose you could try reinstalling Bitdefender just to check, but it may be some setting you need to change as above. I can't help there, I'm afraid. Given others have reported the same (which seems odd) I'd want to move on with my life and take another path.

You can of course use an AV - the one I use is Avast (free); of course you can choose whichever one you like. I've found Avast to be non-intrusive (except for pop-ups about once per log-on session which you get with the free version).

As an example, I helped a user struggling with high CPU use when idle- AVG was partly responsible, but perhaps as a consequence of the real cause. Replacing that with Avast helped initially, before proceeding to take further action on the 'real' cause.

dalchina, Dec 27, 2016
  9. Hi,

Thanks for you suggestions. WIll report this to Bitdefender and I will try other AV's.

Thanks for your help.

windowsten, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot access certain websites - Similar Threads - Cannot access certain

2. Windows 11 S Cannot Access Certain Websites

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 S Cannot Access Certain Websites: My friend has a Lenovo laptop running Windows 11 S - Version=21H2 OS Build= 22000.978 Something has happened to her system in the last couple of weeks that she is no longer able to reach certain websites e.g., Facebook, Home Depot, Wayfair, etc. After about 30 seconds to...
  3. Windows 11 S Cannot Access Certain Websites

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 S Cannot Access Certain Websites: My friend has a Lenovo laptop running Windows 11 S - Version=21H2 OS Build= 22000.978 Something has happened to her system in the last couple of weeks that she is no longer able to reach certain websites e.g., Facebook, Home Depot, Wayfair, etc. After about 30 seconds to...
  4. unable to access certain websites

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to access certain websites: I am unable to access certain websites on my pc, it just comes up with a screen saying 'this site can't be reached', I've checked the connection and the proxy and the firewall but when it comes to trying to run windows network diagnostics, it says 'An error has occurred while...
  5. unable to access certain websites

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to access certain websites: I am unable to access certain websites on my pc, it just comes up with a screen saying 'this site can't be reached', I've checked the connection and the proxy and the firewall but when it comes to trying to run windows network diagnostics, it says 'An error has occurred while...
  6. Unable to access certain websites???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access certain websites???: Recently bought a new desktop and after I hooking everything up, I found that I couldn't visit websites like roblox.I think it's a DNS problem, but the tips I found after doing a search didn't seem to help. The only temp fix was plugging the ethernet cord into a different...
  7. Unable to access certain websites???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access certain websites???: Recently bought a new desktop and after I hooking everything up, I found that I couldn't visit websites like roblox.I think it's a DNS problem, but the tips I found after doing a search didn't seem to help. The only temp fix was plugging the ethernet cord into a different...
  8. cannot access certain website

cannot access certain website: 1.my computer cannot access youtube recently, with any browser. firefox throws PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR while chrome throws ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED, and IE throws something else. 2. all other websites are completely normal including all other google services. 3. it fails...
  9. cannot access certain websites that are safe

cannot access certain websites that are safe: suddenly cannot access certain websites which I know are safe. Tried everything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-certain-websites-that-are-safe/82256840-37a2-4903-8b97-974d697aa0ab
  10. Cant Access Certain Websites

in Browsers and Email
    Cant Access Certain Websites: Guys please help when I try to access audiomicro.com and igg-games.com with google chrome an error saying forbidden 403 nginx pops out I tried a lot of things clearing my cookies and caches, trying another browser, deleting the contents of my temp files, flushing my dns but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot access certain websites in edge