Windows 10: Cannot Access EFS Encrypted Files After Moving a computer from one domain to another.

Discus and support Cannot Access EFS Encrypted Files After Moving a computer from one domain to another. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot access some EFS encrypted files in Disk D after i moved a machine from one domain to another. Those files could be accessed using the previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AbdirahmanHish, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Cannot Access EFS Encrypted Files After Moving a computer from one domain to another.

I cannot access some EFS encrypted files in Disk D after i moved a machine from one domain to another. Those files could be accessed using the previous domain account. The reason why we joined the machine to a new domain is coz the previous domain is no longer available.

Tried doing a system restore but the restore point is two months back.

Let me know if there is a way I can recover these files.

:)

AbdirahmanHish, Jul 17, 2019
  2. AbdouPro Win User

How To decrypt a file encrypted with EFS From a domain computer to a workgroup computer

Hi,

I worked with EFS on local machines (means non domain or workgroup machines) and it worked fine by saving the certificat and restore it on the machine where i want to decrypt the encrypted files.

the probleme now is i used the same method to decrypt a file encrypted on a domain environment & i restored it certificat on a workgroup or local computer but the file still encrypted, i will be gratfull if anyone can clarify the reason why & give me the
    solution to that problem, (the file is encrypted in a windows 7 computed joined to a 2012 R2 as a DC).

AbdouPro, Jul 17, 2019
  3. Meisha Win User
    Confused about EFS encryption

EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page:
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free I am from encryption now. The note says the system will still encrypt when copying files, and I'm only safe from encryption when moving files. I'm not sure if that means my system will continue to encrypt a file every time I copy it, or if I'll be free of the problem now. Could anyone please tell me in which circumstances my system will continue to encrypt my files? Thank you for your help!

Meisha, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Cannot Access EFS Encrypted Files After Moving a computer from one domain to another.

Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Access EFS Encrypted Files After Moving a computer from one domain to another.

1. Cannot Access EFS Encrypted Files After Moving a computer from one domain to another. - Similar Threads - Cannot Access EFS

2. Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another: To explain briefly the process i´ve been following, i changed an old computer´s hdd to a new ssd, then i tried to move all the personal files from the hdd to the new sdd connecting the old hdd to another computer and transfering the files over ftp to the computer with the new...
  3. Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another: To explain briefly the process i´ve been following, i changed an old computer´s hdd to a new ssd, then i tried to move all the personal files from the hdd to the new sdd connecting the old hdd to another computer and transfering the files over ftp to the computer with the new...
  4. Office files corrupted after moving from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot move files from one computer connected to another on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move files from one computer connected to another on windows 11: I attempted to move files from one win 7 pc to a win 11 pc, it came up with log into your windows account, put in my username and password, it accepted it then opened another box saying please put your password in again, when i did it said password is invalid, we will send a...
  6. Cannot move files from one computer connected to another on windows 11

Cannot move files from one computer connected to another on windows 11: I attempted to move files from one win 7 pc to a win 11 pc, it came up with log into your windows account, put in my username and password, it accepted it then opened another box saying please put your password in again, when i did it said password is invalid, we will send a...
  7. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  8. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  9. EFS encrypted files

10. Cannot remove efs encryption from files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot remove efs encryption from files: So I wanted to test how exactly efs works, I needed simple encryption for single folder with its files inside, not whole drive/volume encryption like most programs do I got into the folder's properties > advanced and checked the encrypt data checkbox, i picked folder + files...