Windows 10: Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB

Discus and support Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I searched and found an article similar to this one on Microsoft's site: https://www.fonepaw.com/windows/access-denied-folder-file-windows.html And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by operation420.net, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB

I searched and found an article similar to this one on Microsoft's site:

https://www.fonepaw.com/windows/access-denied-folder-file-windows.html

And from my diagnosis I have trouble accessing EFS encrypted files and folders.

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/157842-network-error-windows-cannot-access-you-do-not-have-permission.html#post1932396

I get past that screen, I can see and browse shares but I cannot open encrypted files:

\\name.operation420.net\share\file.txt
    You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission.

If I decrypt files I can access them so share or filesystem permissions are not an issue, I can
    access the files logged on regularly, I have the key on all Windows logons I use.

I cannot risk security and decrypt the files from my drives. A workaround I have is to run a
    Linux VirtualBox install, create a shared folder in VirtualBox of the folders I want to share
    that the Linux VM can see, and then setup a Samba server and share the mounted VirtualBox shared
    folders. Except for an issue I have with files and/or folders containing dollar $igns, it
    works as expected when browsing the Linux shares. I can access files encrypted with EFS, I can
    copy files to EFS encrypted folders, they will copy as normal and the files will be in the
    folder encrypted. The whole point of EFS is that encryption/decryption should be transparent.

Is this a bug in Windows, or is there something I am missing?

The Linux VM workaround is somewhat useful, except for files and or folders with dollar $igns in
    their names, which might be out of scope for this forum, and for systems that are not powerful enough and/or lack RAM to run VirtalMachines...

I am using Windows 10 20H2, but remember this happening on other versions...

:)

operation420.net, Feb 18, 2021

2. Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

Hi Michael,

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a built-in encryption tool for Windows. It is used to encrypt files and folders on your computer. You can reverse the encryption to access your files again. To decrypt folders, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the folder or file, then click Properties.
    • Click the General tab, then click Advanced.
    • Uncheck the Encrypt contents to secure data checkbox.
    • If you are decrypting folders, select the option Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files.
    • Click OK, then click OK again to exit the window.
    Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Johann Eva, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Benny W Win User
    Encrypting File System (EFS) BackUp question

Hi Carlos.

When i encrypt my first folder (Receipt) i did a EFS BackUp (BackUp the certificates and keys) to a removable disk.

But then i wonder if i should encrypt the BackUp folder (EFS BackUp).

If i lost my certificates (because of a disk failure, for example)

When i then restore the backup copy to Windows.

Can i regain access to these files if the BackUp folder is encrypted ?.

Benny W, Feb 18, 2021
  4. Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB

Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB

1. Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB - Similar Threads - Cannot access EFS

2. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  3. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. copying EFS files encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  6. Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing (SMB)

Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing (SMB): I searched and found an article similar to this one on Microsoft's site: How to Fix Access Denied Folder/File Errors on Windows 10/8/7 And from my diagnosis I have trouble accessing EFS encrypted files and folders. 'Network Error', 'Windows cannot access... You do not have...
  7. cannot access a shared file/folder

cannot access a shared file/folder: I am having a problem on my new laptop computer trying to access a shared folder on my desktop computer. Both computers are on a private network along with two other laptop computers. When I start Internet Explorer on the new laptop computer and try to search the network for...
  8. Cannot remove efs encryption from files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot remove efs encryption from files: So I wanted to test how exactly efs works, I needed simple encryption for single folder with its files inside, not whole drive/volume encryption like most programs do I got into the folder's properties > advanced and checked the encrypt data checkbox, i picked folder + files...
  9. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  10. Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10: How to: Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 How to Encrypt Files and Folders with Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on...