Windows 10: Cannot access external SSD, Bitlocker freezes, CMD reports both locked and unlocked status!

Discus and support Cannot access external SSD, Bitlocker freezes, CMD reports both locked and unlocked status! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I have an external SSD that I use for college, I use Bitlocker to protect the files, I have attempted to access the drive as normal and entered my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by j77jbk, Sep 21, 2020.

1. j77jbk Win User

Cannot access external SSD, Bitlocker freezes, CMD reports both locked and unlocked status!

Hi I have an external SSD that I use for college, I use Bitlocker to protect the files, I have attempted to access the drive as normal and entered my password but nothing happens, the log-in window just freezes.

I attempted to use command prompt to check the status of the drive and then tried to remove Bitlocker as below;

***STATUS CHECK***

C:\>manage-bde -status L:

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.18362

Copyright C 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Volume L: [Label Unknown]

[Data Volume]

Size: Unknown GB

BitLocker Version: 2.0

Conversion Status: Unknown

Percentage Encrypted: Unknown%

Encryption Method: AES 128

Protection Status: Unknown

Lock Status: Locked

Identification Field: Unknown

Automatic Unlock: Disabled

Key Protectors:

Password

Numerical Password

C:\>manage-bde -unlock F: -RecoveryPassword 672496-384384-588995-576477-697939-642565-033187-644699

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.18362

Copyright C 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ERROR: The volume is already unlocked.

How can the drive be both locked and unlocked?

I would really appreciate any help that someone can give. The OS is Windows 10 Pro build 1909.

Thank you

:)

j77jbk, Sep 21, 2020
  2. PatKilg Win User

Windows 10 reports "The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked" but does not allow access to that drive through File Explorer

When accessing an external drive with BitLocker / BitLocker "auto-unlock" enabled, occasionally Windows 10 reports, in the top left of the screen, that "The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked" but File Explorer does not allow access to the files on the drive.

In File Explorer, the drive also appears with "Locked" icon, despite the fact that "auto-unlock" is enabled and Windows 10 is reporting the drive is unlocked when you click on it.

PatKilg, Sep 21, 2020
  3. CPU is locked by Bitlocker

I had an issue with Bitlocker but I managed to get the Bitlocker unlocked. However I lost access to my computer, CPU is still locked. I can navigate CPU but I cannot do anything outside CMD.

LeviRobinson, Sep 21, 2020
  4. Cannot access external SSD, Bitlocker freezes, CMD reports both locked and unlocked status!

Windows 10 Pro Bitlocker will not auto unlock on boot

I have recently upgraded two identical PCs from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro (

Version 1511 Build 10586.36). One of the PCs is having trouble with the Bitlocker Auto Unlock feature.

PCs are both Intel NUC5i7RYH. Each has a Samsung internal SSD and two Western Digital External hard drives. I have enabled bitlocker on all three drives. The external drives on one of the PCs will not auto unlock on boot.

The details on the problem PC:

I have enabled bitlocker on two external hard drives with auto unlock enabled. However, after every boot from a power off state the external drive is still locked. If I log out and then in again the drive is auto unlocked as expected. But, if I power down
    the PC and restart then the drive is not auto unlocked and requires a password be entered.

I know of three ways to enable auto unlock and have tried them all.

1. I have entered the drive password by double-clicking the locked drive. The drive asks for the password and then in the advanced area I have checked the box to auto unlock.

2. I have right clicked the drive in Windows Explorer and chosen Manage Bitlocker. I have Turned off Auto Unlock and then Turned it back on. This doesn't fix the issue.

3. I have run the command line tools from Power Shell as an administrator: Enable-BitLockerAutoUnlock -MountPoint "E:". The command reports that the drive is auto unlocked. However, it is not.

Anyone run across this one before? Any ideas as to what else to try? I reported this issue through the Microsoft Answer Tech and was told that they couldn't fix it. If it can't be fixed is there a way to add it to a list for future consideration of bug
    fixes through the Windows Update process?

Steve103297, Sep 21, 2020
Thema:

Cannot access external SSD, Bitlocker freezes, CMD reports both locked and unlocked status!

1. Cannot access external SSD, Bitlocker freezes, CMD reports both locked and unlocked status! - Similar Threads - Cannot access external

2. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?: I suddenly opened my PC and saw that my H drive is locked. I am having trouble to access my account. Please get back to me as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-locked-drive/04bcd4be-7090-4c17-9233-9dc8cc7c4294
  3. Bitlocker error in windows after unlock and decryption was performed on external ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker error in windows after unlock and decryption was performed on external ssd: Internal PCMe ssd main bootable Windows OS drive removed from Lenovo T-480 business laptop, due to motherboard problems.Installed the ssd drive into an enclosure that delivers an input/output usb-c serial interface for allowing the drive to be plugged in as external hard...
  4. Bitlocker error in windows after unlock and decryption was performed on external ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker error in windows after unlock and decryption was performed on external ssd: Internal PCMe ssd main bootable Windows OS drive removed from Lenovo T-480 business laptop, due to motherboard problems.Installed the ssd drive into an enclosure that delivers an input/output usb-c serial interface for allowing the drive to be plugged in as external hard...
  5. Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker: Hello, I got a new laptop Dell g3 3500 which has a windows installed on it Jan and few days ago it crashed regarding a new update from Microsoft and I couldn't open it again, So I installed another windows and of course all the data on drive C removed formatted, when I...
  6. Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker

Cannot unlock my Drive which is locked by Bitlocker: Dears, Could you please provide me with the Microsoft support Email to be able to find a solution with them regarding my critical problem. Thanks...
  7. Unlocking files locked with BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unlocking files locked with BitLocker: After an update to my Windows 10 Pro edition, I no longer have access to the files in the Documents folder on my C drive. I had previously encrypted these with BitLocker but now it is showing that BitLocker is turned off and logging in to my user account no longer unencrypts...
  8. Bitlocker lock/unlock batch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker lock/unlock batch: I want to make a batch to check if bitlocker is locked or unlocked on my D: partition. 'manage-bde -lock D:' to lock it and 'manage-bde -unlock D: password 123pass456' to unlock. I can check its status by typing 'manage-bde -status D:' Any help would help, I think if any...
  9. BitLocker asked to unlock external SSD, but is TPM protected, help!

BitLocker asked to unlock external SSD, but is TPM protected, help!: Good evening, My Asus Zenbook UX430 UA crashed, and before I send it out for repairs (from what I see, the motherboard is kaput), I wanted to retrieve confidential documents from my SSD. I put it in an external drive caddy, which I connected to my spare laptop, an old...
  10. Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Unlock Files on External USB Drive - Bitlocker is off: I have data on an Seagate external usb drive containing files saved from my work computer. Bitlocker is not enabled on the external drive nor the onboard drives. I've plugged it into my Dell Inspirion 15 7000 gaming laptop. I can open/transfer most folders and files....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker usb hdd unlock freeze