Windows 10: Cannot access file metadata from Windows v1809

Discus and support Cannot access file metadata from Windows v1809 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a bit of a head scratcher. I am migrating from one PC to the other, both using Windows 10, but different builds. My problem is that I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thelordgiveth, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Cannot access file metadata from Windows v1809

This is a bit of a head scratcher.

I am migrating from one PC to the other, both using Windows 10, but different builds. My problem is that I cannot access some of the file metadata from Windows v1809 (the new computer).

A complicated process that I run weekly relies on being able to access the Title of each of some 3000 PDF files. This Title changes when a genuinely new file is created. The actual file name does not. All 3000 are recreated every week by the source regardless of whether there is any change, so I cannot rely on creation date. I can then identify new and old files by comparing with last week.

I access the Title by using the GetDetailsOf function, running within Excel VBA. The Title can also be viewed under the PDF information tab if you look at Properties within File Manager. It also pops into view if you hover over the file nameOn the new PC GetDetails returns a null string rather than the Title. Not much chance of detecting what is new when all files are called ".pdf"!

After pursuing a few red herrings, I realised that it was unlikely to be my coding, as the PDF Information tab was not visible any more, nor did the Title reveal itself when hovering.The Title is visible using a modest bit of free software called PDFill PDF Tools, so the Title still exists. However, with 3000 files this has to be done programatically and the chance of being able to do that from VBA is almost certainly zero!

The first PC is v1803 (build 17134.648) and uses Office 2010. The computer was upgraded from Windows 7, which went OK.

The second PC uses v1809 (build 17763.379) and uses Office 365.

So ... the Title info that I need is there but something has been done to Windows 10 that blocks access to it (unless somehow it is related to it being a new build rather than an upgrade, which seems unlikely). It cannot be Office 365 because File Manager no longer supports the two manual methods of seeing the Title either.

Any ideas welcome!

:)

thelordgiveth, Mar 26, 2019
  2. 1Kurgan1 Win User

Music Metadata grabber

Been working on sorting movies/tv shows/music and looking for something thats free and grabs metadata for my music files. I could do it all manually, but having something that helps would be nice. Anyone got a suggestion?

1Kurgan1, Mar 26, 2019
  3. Mike0409 Win User
    Metadata

Yea I've used Metaviewer, Metadata Analyzer, some Java home mode shit, some Linux software...and I can't find the freaking original FS info......

It sucks too because I know the files have been copied over and over... Version #'s of the Excel is different. And the Files all originated from the same author...

Mike0409, Mar 26, 2019
  4. 1Kurgan1 Win User

Cannot access file metadata from Windows v1809

MCE and Metadata

WMC and Metadata

I just got my HTPC setup and I just added images for all my movies and I'm working on TV shows. But I now want to add metadata, I tried Yammm, but it did nothing. I would almost liek to just add my own. I want to have synopsis's even for my TV shows which I think all the programs out there only fetch info off IMBD. Any suggestions?

1Kurgan1, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

Cannot access file metadata from Windows v1809

1. Cannot access file metadata from Windows v1809 - Similar Threads - Cannot access file

2. Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10: I know this question had been posted hundreds of time, I've read through a dozen discussions/questions and none of them resolve the issue.I cannot edit mp3 file metadata on Windows 10 Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1586I right click on the mp3 file -> properties -> details and...
  3. Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10: I know this question had been posted hundreds of time, I've read through a dozen discussions/questions and none of them resolve the issue.I cannot edit mp3 file metadata on Windows 10 Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1586I right click on the mp3 file -> properties -> details and...
  4. Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File properties and metadata

File properties and metadata: Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by document properties in word, excel, access etc and pdf files e.g. by properties, keyword etc. Those are answers that keep show up...
  6. Image File Metadata

Image File Metadata: In the past, whenever I added metadata tags, titles or notes to my photo files, the megabytes would increase by just a few tenths, which makes sense. Example: 8.5 MB to 8.8 MB. Now, the megabytes are significantly disappearing as soon as I add the data. Example: the photo...
  7. Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files

Cannot edit any metadata in audio and video files: I'm running Windows 10, fully updated. All of a sudden and for no apparent reason, I'm unable to update any metadata/tags for audio and video files. Haven't tried to update metadata for other types of files. It's very important to me to be able to edit the metadata/tags on...
  8. Cannot upload files to the web from Windows 10 v1809 & 1903

Cannot upload files to the web from Windows 10 v1809 & 1903: Our business requires us to upload PDF files to vendors sites on a regular basis. Everything has worked fine with Windows 10 up through version 1803. Upon upgrading to version 1809 and now tested under version 1903 this process fails with out any error messaging. 1) This...
  9. Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files

Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files: Window 10 File Explorer seems not able to display the metadata (e.g., Title, Contributing Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc.) of some FLAC files, the contents get truncated, blanked out, or replaced with other funny character. I can see the problematic metadata are populated...
  10. Win10 v1809 - cannot access extended file metadata

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 v1809 - cannot access extended file metadata: In have recently changed computers from one running v1803 (originally a Win7 machine) to a shiny new one running v1809. Unfortunately this seems to have resulted in losing access to some of the file metadata within Windows. For example, for a PDF file, Properties used to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. accessing metadata in windows