Windows 10: Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Discus and support Cannot access files over Network Sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Fabio dp, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Fabio dp Win User

Cannot access files over Network Sharing

After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ...

*** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on File Explorer ***

!!! and all my shared disks and printers are visible too !!!

BUT :-(

Pros

a- Printers are available and I can print from both the PCs on the printer connected to the other

b- I can see all the disks on both the PCs as shared, but ...

I have no access (shared access is granted to [everyone]) to the PC internal HDs ...

c- ... whilst I can fully access and read / write / delete / create everything on the USB HD connected to PC-A (from PC-B)

d- on the other hand I have no access to the USB HD connected to PC-B from PC-A

e- also users/public folder is accessible

f- All the HDs, internal and USB on both the PC are shared and access is granted to [everyone]

g- All the services interested are set to automatic started and running

h- The WiFi network is defined as private

All the network configuration related to file and devices sharing are set and password protection is disabled

z- My brain is not able to imagine anything more to check or tune

Does anyone have any idea? or already experienced - and solved - this mess?

Thanks mates

Fabio

P.S. and mainly: but why? why they decided to remove the homegroup?

OK, it was not wonderfully professional (or professionally wonderful) ... but working, and safe, you could grant / deny access easily

and don't tell that nowadays we have to use the cloud ... please, do not answer with Matrix (the movie) related copyandpasted motivations

***Modify title from: File sharing, replacing the useful homegroup***

:)

Fabio dp, Dec 15, 2018
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Pauli O Win User
    Cannot Access network file share

Here is description how I have set my network to work with Windows v 1803.

There is instructions with screenshots how to change network profile, setup file/folder shares and make PC's to show in File Explorer network section.

Share to Everyone is OK, but access control is made by security settings tab. (See Step 4.3). Security setting:

- Everyone = Anyone on your network have access to your PC shares

- Authenticated Users = Only users who have account on you PC have access

- "Username" = only named user have access

Homegroup removed! How to get network sharing work with Windows 10 v1803.

Pauli O, Dec 15, 2018
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot access files over Network Sharing - Similar Threads - Cannot access files

2. File Sharing Over a local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  3. File sharing over private network

File sharing over private network: How do I enable password protected sharing only for public networks? I want to achieve free sharing for all computers on the private network no passwords necessary, but prevent any sharing on public networks. Is this impossible?...
  4. Cannot access files over network

Cannot access files over network: Our small network has computers running windows 7 pro and one laptop running windows 10 home. Until recently there wasn't an issue, now the laptop cant see the files on the other machines. Everything is visible until I try to access the files themselves. Meaning drives,...
  5. Cannot access network share

Cannot access network share: From my Windows 10 machine Machine 1, I cannot access folders that are shared on a Windows XP machine Machine 2. I don't think it is an OS incompatibility issue. For years, it worked. And, accessing shared folders on a second Windows XP machine Machine 3 is working, as it...
  6. Permission issues to access files shared over a network

Permission issues to access files shared over a network: From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are accessible. On computer A the folder has been set to share. Kaspersky on computer A has been temporarily disabled. Why are some...
  7. Cannot share files/folders over the network with another computer

Cannot share files/folders over the network with another computer: The closest I got to was the ability to see the 2nd computer's Users folder from the main computer, which is perfectly fine - but for some reason, I can't get an access anymore....
  8. Problems sharing files over network

Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  9. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network: Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try...
  10. Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network

Cannot see laptops with files shared over the network: I have two laptops, both sitting next to the WiFi but from some reason I cannot see any shared device on laptop 1. And on laptop 2, I can see all the devices with shared files in them. I can even access the shared files in laptop 1, but I cannot see the shared files on...