Windows 10: Cannot access hidden admin account, W10 Home

Discus and support Cannot access hidden admin account, W10 Home in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; W10H 1909 18363.815, ASUS laptop i5-8250, x64, 8GB, 250SSD. Solutions like @Rocaw provide in this other thread seem not to apply to Windows Home.... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by JRHaole, May 13, 2020.

1. JRHaole Win User

Cannot access hidden admin account, W10 Home

W10H 1909 18363.815, ASUS laptop i5-8250, x64, 8GB, 250SSD.

Solutions like @Rocaw provide in this other thread seem not to apply to Windows Home.

Working on my son's computer, annoyed that everybody's login shows up on the front screen. He knows we have access to his computer, just don't need it staring at him in the face every day. Versus my shared work computer, after restarting only the latest user shows up... presume that's b'c it's an enterprise Windows version? So since I can't get it to not show those who aren't logged in on his, I used the hide admin acct in the registry trick to get it off the login screen. Now I can't get to the only admin account on the computer! Figured it would just give me an "other user" option. Dumb.

ROADBLOCK 1: That's the only admin acct on his computer.I tried editing the registry from the other accts on the computer, get all the way there to change the 0 to a 1, and I get the error that it can't be done after I hit enter. Presume b'c it's not accessed under admin?

ROADBLOCK 2: So I did a restart holding shift and did the wholeTroubleshoot>Advanced Options>Command Prompt and then ran it as administrator net user administrator /active:yes

ROADBLOCK 3: I used Bree's trick in this TenForums thread and got to step 7 of Option 4 and get the following error:
    Cannot Load X:\Windows\System32\config\SAM: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

ROADBLOCK 4: I tried restarting to see if I was missing something that I duplicated. I can't get in to run CMD as admin under other accts b'c it doesn't give me a PW option in the pop-up. Only options are fingerprint which was never set up or "No."

Just want to be able to log into the admin acct and/or remove the hidden trait and/or convert one of the other accounts to admin so I can undo this mess.

Thanks,

DUH in Floriduh

:)

JRHaole, May 13, 2020

2. Hidden Admin Account Infected - Help

Somehow my windows 7 hidden admin account got infected. I cannot open regedit, task manager or any virus program.. in fact.. most programs wont work.. but my regular everyday account is fine.

The problem is this: I have been infected in my regular account before.. and running virus tools from my hidden admin account fixes them.. but I cannot do the reverse now because my regular account doesn't have access to my admin account.

I know what the virus is.. its a rouge antivirus.. it mostly annoying.. Programs do open up for a split second before this rouge antivirus program closes it again and then lies and gives me a message that says, " Cannot open this program, the program is infected" LOL

Its putting a lot of adware on my system but not crippling it.. but only in the admin account.

What are your ideas?

John Phoenix, May 13, 2020
  3. mischa01 Win User
    windows 7 hidden admin account infected

Somehow my windows 7 hidden admin account got infected. I cannot open regedit, task manager or any virus program.. in fact.. most programs wont work.. but my regular everyday account is fine, however it has no admin priviledges.

I know what the virus is.. its a xps viewer.exe virus.. it mostly annoying.. Programs do open up for a split second before this stupid ivirus program closes it again and then lies and gives me a message that says, " Cannot open this program, the program is infected"

please help me.

Thanks

mischa01, May 13, 2020
  4. NinkobEi Win User

windows 7 hidden admin account infected

visit safemode, log into admin account. download malwarebytes (or transfer from usb). run malwarebytes. exit safe mode. run an updated malwarebytes on admin account. eat some pie ;D

NinkobEi, May 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot access hidden admin account, W10 Home - Similar Threads - Cannot access hidden

2. No Admin access on admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Admin access on admin account: On my home PC I can no longer do basic things like extract files, open task manager, power down or restart my pc because it says it has been disabled by an admin and requires administrator to do it. The only user on my pc has administrator privileges I've even checked in the...
  3. No Admin access on admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Admin access on admin account: On my home PC I can no longer do basic things like extract files, open task manager, power down or restart my pc because it says it has been disabled by an admin and requires administrator to do it. The only user on my pc has administrator privileges I've even checked in the...
  4. Cannot access Admin account on Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access Admin account on Win 11: Hi, I set up my home surface on Win 11 with an admin email account that was a gmail account. However I have subsequently migrated this gmail email account to a MS small business office 365 account. The result is when I try to access the admin account on my home Win 11 machine...
  5. Cannot access Admin account on Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access Admin account on Win 11: Hi, I set up my home surface on Win 11 with an admin email account that was a gmail account. However I have subsequently migrated this gmail email account to a MS small business office 365 account. The result is when I try to access the admin account on my home Win 11 machine...
  6. No Admin access and cannot switch user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No Admin access and cannot switch user account: I need help please! My laptop has 2 very big problems first I can't switch users and second I don't have Admin rights even though I have admin password. Anything that requires admin access can no longer do. what should I do? I am on Windows 10 Home and this started about 2...
  7. Hidden admin account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden admin account: I am just one Windows 10 pro computer and but I don't have admin account. Iam just the local admin. How can I delete folders when I don't have the hidden admin account? I did a complete Windows 10 pro install but now I am told I can't uninstall folder, need admin...
  8. Lost admin privileges on my account and cannot access built in admin account.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost admin privileges on my account and cannot access built in admin account.: Hello!! I have had this issues for a while now and its really starting to grate on me, I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing works. Basically, I somehow lost admin privileges on my account, every time I try and do something that needs an admin and the box comes up that says...
  9. Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin: I foolishly hid my only administrator account using the registry editor and I can't do anything with the secondary account that I have on the computer. I went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon Created a new key...
  10. No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account: Hello All, I'm delighted to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please!*cry I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help*Smile Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which...