Windows 10: Cannot access media player over network - solved for now

Discus and support Cannot access media player over network - solved for now in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; With windows 7 I could simply select my networked media player under Network & transfer files to/from it's HDD. Now I've upgraded to W10 it wants me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by smallal, Jan 24, 2016.

1. smallal Win User

Cannot access media player over network - solved for now

With windows 7 I could simply select my networked media player under Network & transfer files to/from it's HDD.
    Now I've upgraded to W10 it wants me to ENTER NETWORK CREDENTIALS - no idea why!
    Anyhow, read various posts about enabling/disabling various things & turning off password protected sharing, but nothing works. Trouble is I have no idea what to enter as username and password, the web explains what to enter if trying to access another pc but my media player doesn't have a username or password. I just want rid of this box, is there a fix for this?
    Partial solution - It would seem this is down to an incompatibility between the version of SAMBA software my media player uses and Windows 10, I found the following fix on another media players website but it worked for me too. With some SAMBA devices Windows 10 is assuming security is enabled, even when it isn't. The only solution at this time is to enable security and enter a username and password which can then be used as the network credentials. I can only hope that a new firmware release incorporating a SAMBA fix will come along in due course.

:)

smallal, Jan 24, 2016
  2. Sam___ Win User

Issues with watching videos through laptop and tv. Was fine until windows 10

Hi Nicole,

Sounds like you are accessing the data on your laptop over the network and are using the media player built into your TV to actually play back the media? Is this the case?

-Sam

Sam___, Jan 24, 2016
  3. Network computers stopped appearing on file explorer network tab

I'm having the same problem, and I've been working to fix it all day without success. Up to yesterday, my external hard drive-- the same as the one, WDMyCLoud, as used above--- stopped appearing in folder explorer under 'network' (it is on a netgear router
    network).

I access WDMyCloud for the music library for media player and itunes, but now I cannot access it with those programs. I CAN get to WDMyCloud using the apps that Western Digital provides-- to get files off the hard drive--- but if I can't use the windows
    file explorer, I cannot access the music in media player libraries.

Help!

I also have been 'successfully' upgrading whenever a new update comes along-- my computer is always on, with updates scheduled to be made automatically. Did something come out yesterday that messes with WDMyCLoud or other network hard drives, appearing
    on networks?

ginnyj5110, Jan 24, 2016
Thema:

Cannot access media player over network - solved for now

1. Cannot access media player over network - solved for now - Similar Threads - Cannot access media

2. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  3. Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media player Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the...: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.What to do ?...
  4. Cannot access files over network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access files over network: Our small network has computers running windows 7 pro and one laptop running windows 10 home. Until recently there wasn't an issue, now the laptop cant see the files on the other machines. Everything is visible until I try to access the files themselves. Meaning drives,...
  5. Windows 10, Media Player, Media sharing over private network.

Windows 10, Media Player, Media sharing over private network.: Video files and all other Media Player library contents are all available through "folder" search but none of the PLAYLISTS created in Media Player are visible to connected devices Smart TV's and Android devices. These have been visible in the past and i don't know of any...
  6. cant access windows media player

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant access windows media player: I cant find windows media access anymore - nor can I find the search box near start to help look for it - nor a 'Topic' below that fits that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-windows-media-player/0132ff15-b285-4525-96ee-4f0cb84ad374
  7. Windows Media Player. How do I cancel Media Player. Selected by mistake and now I cannot...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player. How do I cancel Media Player. Selected by mistake and now I cannot...: I selected Windows Media Player by mistake to download a file from my Bank. Now it says something happened and could not download. How to I get rid of this on the website. How do I cancel the request to download....
  8. media player streaming on network

media player streaming on network: playing content from media player on home network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-player-streaming-on-network/397644e7-cd42-411a-9106-28a7d8e51971
  9. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  10. (Solved) Windows Media Player Prevents Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    (Solved) Windows Media Player Prevents Sleep: My new digital camera can use Wi-Fi for moving photos from it to a computer; to do this, Windows Media Player must be installed. After some cogitation, I was able to go to Settings and install WMP 12, finish setting up Wi-Fi connection and transferred one photo. This...