Windows 10: Cannot access my files after hard disk failure.

Discus and support Cannot access my files after hard disk failure. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My pc has a primary OS and secondary Storage drive setup. Last week my primary hard disk failed. Not a big problem. I replaced the hard disk and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JamesNoland1, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Cannot access my files after hard disk failure.

My pc has a primary OS and secondary Storage drive setup. Last week my primary hard disk failed. Not a big problem. I replaced the hard disk and re-installed windows 10. My issue is that now I cannot access ANY files on my storage drive. There is a tiny yellow lock on everything. I get one of two error messages depending on what I attempt to do. If I attempt to open my files, It says: "You do not have the appropriate permissions to access this item". If I attempt to copy or move any files, It says: "You need administrator permission to copy this file." How do I not have permission to access MY files on MY OWN laptop?? I bought a computer with an extra drive to prevent losing my files and now I cant even access them. At this point I feel like I might as well have lost them. Is there any way to recover or "give permission" to myself?

:)

JamesNoland1, Nov 22, 2020
  2. Apharas Win User

hard disk utility

Are you looking to test the drive for bad sectors or for an actual active file system? And is the file system that is on the existing drive NTFS or HFS+ or something else.

If you have access to any x86 hardware I would suggest getting a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk and using HDAT2 if it's a bad sector scan you're looking for.

Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info

--
    A

Apharas, Nov 22, 2020
  3. cdawall Win User
    Which is the Fastest and reliable 10TB hard disk?

Step one, don't keep all your data in one place.

Step two, all high density platters are a bitch to recover on failure, so see step one.

Step three, all hard drive manufactures are under 2% to profit for RMA's so brand doesn't really matter.

cdawall, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Cannot access my files after hard disk failure.

Hard Disk Failure : Event ID 13150

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type "Troubleshooting" in the Search box from the desktop and click "Troubleshooting".
    • Click on "View all" from the left pane and select "Hardware and Devices".
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).

2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be
    lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check if the issue resolved.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank You

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Cannot access my files after hard disk failure.

1. Cannot access my files after hard disk failure. - Similar Threads - Cannot access files

2. hard disk failure is imminent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard disk failure is imminent: I know there is another post about this but mine is a bit different I had the hard disk error and I took a bit too long to understand what was happening but I finally did and changed the hard drive but I forgot to backup my data so I reinstalled windows and when I do it says...
  3. Windows installation after hard disk failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation after hard disk failure: hi,My hard disk crashed last week and i had replaced the same. Now after installation of windows i dont have my key any where. Can i recover it through my email, or is there any procedure....
  4. Windows installation after hard disk failure

Windows installation after hard disk failure: hi,My hard disk crashed last week and i had replaced the same. Now after installation of windows i dont have my key any where. Can i recover it through my email, or is there any procedure....
  5. Windows installation after hard disk failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Hard Disk Failure Imminent

Hard Disk Failure Imminent: The last two times I've booted my laptop it has stopped loading and displayed a message along the lines of "Hard disk failure imminent to avoid not data loss yes it words it like that please back up your drive and preform disk repair from system diagnostic window - press...
  7. Hard drive disk failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive disk failure: I am getting "Hard drive disk failure" when I turn on my computer. Is that something that can be repaired by reinstalling windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-disk-failure/a739eae0-7a6b-4ef3-9a54-d51ddeb632fb
  8. Cannot access files in 2-disk storage pool after 1 hard disk failed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access files in 2-disk storage pool after 1 hard disk failed: I previously setup a two-way mirror with 2 hard disks. 1 of them just failed and now I cannot access any files in the storage pool. When I click on D drive, it says "D: is not accessible. The specified data could not be read from any of the copies". Is there any way to fix...
  9. Cannot Load Windows 10 or Access the files on a Hard disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot Load Windows 10 or Access the files on a Hard disk: My computer does not load windows .. when i connect the disk it shows it locked by bitlocker.. i got the password to unlock but still i cannot access files. is there a way i can troubleshoot this disk and get files?? help...
  10. Hard disk failure is imminent.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk failure is imminent.: When starting my computer I sometimes get a message that Hard Disk Failure Imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced. Press F10 for Setup. F2 to continue. The first time I got this screen it clicked on F2 and Windows opened and all seemed fine. Now I...