Windows 10: Cannot access my hard drive after upgrade

Discus and support Cannot access my hard drive after upgrade in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, i upgraded my dell XPS8700 from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and it was working fine till i switch the computer off and after i turned it back on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RaymondMennie, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Cannot access my hard drive after upgrade

Hi, i upgraded my dell XPS8700 from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and it was working fine till i switch the computer off and after i turned it back on the next day i could not access the hard drive through any means, the hard drive is not showing. ive ran the hardware diagnostics that says all is well but i cannot access the drive through any way in command prompt. My drive is not there. When i start the computer i get the error message that youre device ran into a problem and needs to restart. The stop code is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE I have tried a lot of fixes off the help pages but nothing seems to work. When i open command prompt the heading at the top is Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and then what ever command i put in. Ive tried a recovery usb. no joy. My computer is 6yrs old with no problems until now. every thing is backed up to external hard drive so no worries about losing data.

Please help'

Raymond Mennie

:)

RaymondMennie, Jul 27, 2020
  2. KBD
    KBD Win User

Cannot access my second hard drive in XP

I just noticed that my second hard drive dissapeared from my computer, i decided to restart the pc hoping it would reappear, it did, however i still can't access it when i try to open it i get the following message: H:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadeable. BIOS still sees it, when i restart the PC, it lists both of my hard drives and both optical drives, but i can't open it in Windows.

This was preceeded by somewhat strange behavior this morning, my PC would not boot into XP and would freeze after the Windows is loading message, i had to restart several times by pushing the restart button to log on. It was somewhat slow at first but after the next restart was back to normal, and then i noticed the missing second HD. I don't even know if its a hardware or a software issue. Can someone help me with this?

3. Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Cannot access my hard drive after upgrade

Unable to access external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Justin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• How are you trying to access the hard drive and how have connected it to your computer?
    • Have you connected the drive to your computer and check if it is detected in Device Manager?

Step 1: If you have connected the drive via USB and is being detected in Device Manager try the below to update the drivers.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and X together and select Device Manager.
      • Locate the Universal Serial Bus Controller and expand the driver icon
      • Right click on all the USB driver icon and select Update driver software.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Cannot access my hard drive after upgrade

1. Cannot access my hard drive after upgrade - Similar Threads - Cannot access hard

2. Window file explorer cannot access to hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window file explorer cannot access to hard drive: I download iCloud from window store to access the data in iCloud, but when I change the setting of iCloud, the software at task-bar become ‘white paper’ and window said that the software is moved, name changed or deleted when I click it. There are also some problem of the...
  3. Cannot access the 4 Toshiba hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot access the 4 Toshiba hard drive: HiI recently bought a new pc. Mainboard with latest bios msi pro z690-a ddr4And now I have what I think is a permission problem on 4 of my hard drives files and folders after PC wakes up from sleep. A full reboot fixes the issue.My pc has 6 drives. 2 m2 SSD drives Samsung 980...
  4. Cannot access hard drive properties in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access hard drive properties in windows 10: I Cannot access hard drive properties in windows 10 its all bringing up errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-hard-drive-properties-in-windows-10/49dfc372-855b-4024-b0c9-8570991cc60d
  5. Cannot access my files after hard disk failure.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot access my files after hard disk failure.: My pc has a primary OS and secondary Storage drive setup. Last week my primary hard disk failed. Not a big problem. I replaced the hard disk and re-installed windows 10. My issue is that now I cannot access ANY files on my storage drive. There is a tiny yellow lock on...
  6. No access to hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No access to hard drive: I have a windows 10 and a hard drive that I can not access. It shows on the computer, when I click on it, either it freezes or nothing happens. Ive tried update drive and unistall but nothing seems to work. I have even tried switching usp ports, nothing seem to fix the...
  7. Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10

Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10: Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on Lenovo. Have been using SanDisk UltraFit USB drive without any issues. After upgrade was moving files from SSD hard drive to USB drive and transfer process stopped and froze laptop. Rebooted laptop and from then onward the USB drive is not...
  8. External Hard drive cannot access

External Hard drive cannot access: Hello, I have stored videos and photo on a maxtor back when I used a mac, before i got it stolen. I recently got a Dell laptop and I haven't been able to access any of the data on the hard drive. I tried going through Computer management > disk management but still can't...
  9. Hard drives cannot be accessed after switch from Win7 to Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drives cannot be accessed after switch from Win7 to Win10: Hello. I am a victim of an apparently rare bug. I wanted to try out Win10 as a partition for a dual boot option (Since some games run better on Win10 than Win7). I heard rumors of Win10 being incredibly agressive but I had no idea how much. Win10 tried to eat and destroy...
  10. Hard drive healthy but cannot be accessed by Windows 10

Hard drive healthy but cannot be accessed by Windows 10: I have been having on start up my F drive being "repaired" but it cannot be accessed by Windows. Computer Management lists the disk as F: and as healthy! But the file system as RAW. There is also in addition the F: and C: an unidentified Volume with no file system which has a...