Windows 10: Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update

Discus and support Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently bought a laptop, and now it cannot access my Synology DSM213 in File Explorer. The NAS showed up on the network on my laptop, but not in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by philosopher, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update

I recently bought a laptop, and now it cannot access my Synology DSM213 in File Explorer. The NAS showed up on the network on my laptop, but not in File Explorer, and when trying to open it, it would have me access it through a web browser. I want it treated like a drive/folder.

I can access the NAS just fine on my other Win10-pc's which I've blocked updates for a long time, but this laptop I bought came pre-installed with the 1709-version and I've read that SMB has been turned off since 1709 and is THE cause for other people's trouble not being able to access network drives.

I already tried re-enabling SMB in Windows Features, but the SMB is not even on the list! I have no way of enabling SMB.

I've read that Microsoft turned off SMB in all new versions of Win10, because it is "unsafe", but how am I then supposed to access my NAS-shared folder?

I cannot even access it by IP in File Explorer (ie. \\192.168.1.X etc.)

Then I tried un-installing the pre-installed McAfee-antivirus/firewall, to see if this fixed the issue. It didn't.
    I removed it through Add/Remove programs the official way, and since then I cannot even enable Network Discovery. When I go to the network settings, enable Network Discovery and save the settings, it immediately rewinds to network file sharing being disabled.

How do I fix both issues?

:)

philosopher, Nov 2, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update

Hi there
    can anybody suggest what needs to be done to access windows files FROM Nas servers (running SAMBA). The latest version of windows seems to have broken connections -- now just get message timeout on server when trying to access Windows shares FROM a NAS server.

No problem with windows accessing the NAS server shares (i.e FROM windows TO Nas problem is NAS TO WINDOWS). Computer name is seen in the network map and ping is OK.

people have suggested it's because Windows has depreciated the way it handles SMB connected files (or CIF).

Is there ANYWAY to make this working again.

The crazy thing is that ANDROID devices seem to have no problem -- for example I have some music files on Windows which I access from a Samsung S8 phone via a program called SambaPlayer (VLC for android also works) and play via blue tooth to a small Bose mini 10 speaker.

I need the server to be able to handle Windows files as I run the backups from the server . Even if I run the backups locally on Windows via macrium I'd like the server to automatically upload these files to the server.
    Before the last update Windows had no problems -- seems every update or so breaks windows networking.

I don't use logon domains, profiles etc etc --simple HOME network with a few Windows laptops etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 2, 2018
  3. cereberus Win User
    Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update

Have you tried enabling this? The text says "allow insecure ie non Windows" connections is on by default but I have seen claims the default is now off ie text is out of date

Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update [​IMG]

cereberus, Nov 2, 2018
  4. bradp1979 Win User

Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update

NAS server not visible

We have a NAS server on the network. One of our laptops recently got destroyed by water damage and had to be replaced. The new laptop is Win 10, and the NAS server is not visible on the network. On the old, now water-damaged laptop (Win 7), the NAS server had a desktop shortcut, so even if it wasn't visible on the network, the files could still be accessed.

How can I either force the computer to recognize the NAS server, or create a desktop icon that is linked to it without it being visible in the network listing?

Thanks.

bradp1979, Nov 2, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update

1. Cannot Access NAS-server after Win10 update - Similar Threads - Cannot Access NAS

2. cannot access Lacie NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot access Lacie NAS: i have a Lacie NAS and cant remember my login details to access it via the web portal is there a way I can acccess it locally via ethernet so I can access the files I cant reset the device as I have photos which I want to keep on it If I took the device out of the nas...
  3. Cannot access NAS after resetting windows 10

Cannot access NAS after resetting windows 10: Ok. Driving me mad. Linkstation attached via ethernet to network. Static IP 192.168.0.2 Can access via other devices on network. NAS software can 'see' the device and confirms the IP address. I can access 192.168.0.2 through browser. Windows saw the device fine until I...
  4. Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access"

Connecting to NAS - "Windows cannot access": I tried to connect to my NAS by entering \\Wintermute into my File Explorer address bar and was prompted to enter my credentials. I then got this error. I get this error every time I try to connect to \\Wintermute, without being asked for my credentials. Can anyone advise...
  5. Cannot access files on Nas

Cannot access files on Nas: On 1803 (latest update) & 1809 I cannot access files on my nas or connect to my Nas web gui with jumbo frames enabled. This is happening on Intel & Realtek nic's. This had been working on all machines until the latest update Win10 Pro and Home. Disabling jumbo frames...
  6. After Win10 update to Ver 1607 x64, can no longer access NAS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After Win10 update to Ver 1607 x64, can no longer access NAS: Windows 10 updated to Version 1607 and I can no longer access my Synology NAS. I have attempted every potential solution I have found on the net to no avail. I have another machine running WIN10 that I disabled windows update on and it's at version 1511 and the NAS is...
  7. Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update

Can see NAS but cannot access it or mapped shares after recent update: My laptop ran a monster update for windows 10 a few days ago and since then I have not been able to connect to my Buffalo Linkstation on my wireless network. I connected to it just fine before and could connect on another laptop the other day that had not yet run the update....
  8. How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?: I have need to get access to 2 shares on a NAS server using different credentials - one set of credentials for occasional access to a secured share; another for continuous access to a public share. I just found out that Windows does not allow this without some game-playing....
  9. Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update

Accessing Windows FROM NAS servers -- Windows latest update: Hi there can anybody suggest what needs to be done to access windows files FROM Nas servers (running SAMBA). The latest version of windows seems to have broken connections -- now just get message timeout on server when trying to access Windows shares FROM a NAS server. No...
  10. Cannot access a secured share on a NAS

Cannot access a secured share on a NAS: I have a NAS drive with both several unprotected folders and one protected folder. I have no trouble accessing the unprotected folders from Win10, but I cannot get access to the protected one. If I click on the secure folder from File Explorer I get the popup [img] I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot access the server nas

2. windows 10 smb file access stutters

3. win10 no access to cif drives

4. win10 1809 nas access,
  5. win10 1809 no access to nas,
  6. after windows 10 1809 upgdate cannot access nas