Windows 10: Cannot access network share

Discus and support Cannot access network share in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; From my Windows 10 machine Machine 1, I cannot access folders that are shared on a Windows XP machine Machine 2. I don't think it is an OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by giiancarlo, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Cannot access network share

From my Windows 10 machine Machine 1, I cannot access folders that are shared on a Windows XP machine Machine 2. I don't think it is an OS incompatibility issue. For years, it worked. And, accessing shared folders on a second Windows XP machine Machine 3 is working, as it also has for years. I have checked the network connection of the problematic Machine 2 and it is fine; it has an internet connection. What might be the problem?

:)

giiancarlo, Mar 5, 2021
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Mar 5, 2021
  3. Home Network and shared printer access problems

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are having issue with accessing the files and printer within the network and in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the error message you get, while accessing the file or the Printer using Windows 7 PC?
    • Are you aware of any recent changes on the PC, prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform all the steps in all the PC that are connected in the network as suggested by Roohi Taj on January 8th, 2019
    in this

As an additional information please refer the below articles:

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Share files in File Explorer

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Cannot access network share

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Cannot access network share

1. Cannot access network share - Similar Threads - Cannot access network

2. CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied: Hi,Despite a few folders are identified as Shared on my network, none of the PCs can access them. That was working before Windows updates. Before, in a folder properties I could add "Everyone" in the security tab, now that option in missing in Windows 11.Is there a utility...
  3. CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CANNOT access shared folder on Home Network - Access Denied: Hi,Despite a few folders are identified as Shared on my network, none of the PCs can access them. That was working before Windows updates. Before, in a folder properties I could add "Everyone" in the security tab, now that option in missing in Windows 11.Is there a utility...
  4. Cannot access any network shares

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access any network shares: For some reason, and for some time now, my Windows 10 system cannot access any network share. This includes a WD MyCloud and a new Synology NAS. Other computers in my household can connect fine kids gaming PC, laptop and are prompted to sign in with a username and password,...
  5. Network Access-Your Folder Cannot be shared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Network Access-Your Folder Cannot be shared: I am working on the server that contains these network files. They are old, some very old backup files that need to be removed. Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-access-your-folder-cannot-be-shared/c43de3d0-03c2-4eae-8428-cbc12aa5361d
  6. network sharing / access

network sharing / access: [ATTACH] I've clicked and searched folders, explorer, sharing, users, advanced etc. and all I know to look at for hours. I can't access Jason at all, see this message. I can see the third computer and can access the \\users\public folder - on it. His computer name is -2019...
  7. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  8. Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures)

Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures): Hi all.. Background I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The upgrade was done OTA. While I was using Windows 7 I had no network problems. Network Issue After the upgrade I am no longer able to access my shared folders or even the other shared computers...
  9. Cannot access shared network drive

Cannot access shared network drive: On my desktop (AKA S4, currently running Win8.1 x64 pro) I have shared out four of the hard drives with full permissions. I have 5 PCs in my network and all can access the four drives. My sister is visiting and currently accessing my network via cat5 wire. On her PC (running...
  10. Cannot Access Windows Network Shares

Cannot Access Windows Network Shares: Three machines: Surface Pro 4 - fully updated Surface Pro 3 - Windows 10, fully updated Lenovo X220T - Windows 8.1 Fully updated All three machines can see all available network devices, including each other. All three machines can successfully access and interact...