Windows 10: Cannot access old user profile

Discus and support Cannot access old user profile in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have switched user profiles on my laptop a couple of years ago when I domain joined the device but need access to my old profile (which used the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheKiredor, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Cannot access old user profile

I have switched user profiles on my laptop a couple of years ago when I domain joined the device but need access to my old profile (which used the same username but wasn’t domain joined). I can still see it in c:\users\ but I do not see it in PC Management or when I use ‘net user’ so it appears there is no account on the laptop that goes with it.

It’s not just a case of grabbing some files from the folder. This is still possible of course. I need to access it because there are some old encrypted files that can only be opened from that user account but right now it looks like it’s a profile without an account linked to it.

Any ideas how to log in to this? Much appreciated!

submitted by /u/TheKiredor
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TheKiredor, Feb 19, 2021
  2. v444 Win User

script to delete users profile

A1- i guess local. (please check the attachment,i'm following those steps to do it, if it helps you to figure out if it's on PC or local)
    A2- no i don't need logs.

Full user delete.docx

3. The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hello,

When attempting to login to my computer, I get the following message:

"The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded."

I referred to this Help article,You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error
    message,

but the only difference is I only have one user profile on this computer. So, I can't login with another user to go through the steps listed in this post.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gerald Matthews, Feb 19, 2021
  4. Cannot access old user profile

User profile cannot be loaded.

Hi Annie,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with the user accounts on Windows 10.

Method 1: I suggest you enter into safe mode and enable built-in administrator and check with the status of User profile service.

Step 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.

• Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
        Command Prompt.

• Type the following command and hit Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    d. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Method 2: Try to create a new user account (Microsoft account) and check if you are able to access the content from your computer

Create a user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: Create a Microsoft account

Method 3: Check the status of User profile services.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command, type
      Services.msc and press Enter.
    • Search for User Profile Service, right click on it and
      start the service.
    • Also, set the Startup type to
      Automatic
    • Now check if you are able to log-in.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Cannot access old user profile

1. Cannot access old user profile - Similar Threads - Cannot access old

2. Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD: I recently took out my old SSD out of my laptop, and I am trying to transfer the files in my User profile folder to my new SSD. As I am accessing my profile folder, it provides a prompt that I need admin access in order to go into the folder. As I proceed onto the...
  3. Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing a User Profile Folder on old SSD: I recently took out my old SSD out of my laptop, and I am trying to transfer the files in my User profile folder to my new SSD. As I am accessing my profile folder, it provides a prompt that I need admin access in order to go into the folder. As I proceed onto the...
  4. User Profile Access

User Profile Access: Hello all,Recently my computer entered into a BSOD loop that has progressed to the point where I believe my only option is to wipe my SSD and reinstall Windows. In attempt to to save my files, I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to copy the contents of the original drive onto an...
  5. User Profile Access

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Profile Access: Hello all,Recently my computer entered into a BSOD loop that has progressed to the point where I believe my only option is to wipe my SSD and reinstall Windows. In attempt to to save my files, I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to copy the contents of the original drive onto an...
  6. Cannot access user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access user profile: Woke up this morning and went to start my computer...and wow, something happened where I can no longer access my user profile.Even better...if I restart my computer, any changes made to the new profile my computer set-up are reset to what they are originally!Windows...
  7. Cannot access user profile

Cannot access user profile: Woke up this morning and went to start my computer...and wow, something happened where I can no longer access my user profile.Even better...if I restart my computer, any changes made to the new profile my computer set-up are reset to what they are originally!Windows...
  8. Cannot access user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. User Profiles & Access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Profiles & Access: I set up a user profile for myself and my wife on a new PC. I was working fine on mine and switched to my wife’s to let her set up her emails etc. However, when i tried to gt in, I received an error message “User Profile Service service failed in sign-in, User profile...
  10. Cannot access User Profile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access User Profile in Windows 10: I have been suffering from a problem for like eons and unfortunately, the microsoft team was not able to help at all. Ever since the upgrade of windows 10 to build 1803, there has been a problem where I cannot access my User Profile folder. Normally you don't notice it...