Windows 10: Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive

Discus and support Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to retrieve some very important files from a hard drive that has not been in use for more than a year after I needed the ram from that PC for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ornithophilia, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive

I need to retrieve some very important files from a hard drive that has not been in use for more than a year after I needed the ram from that PC for something else because my current Windows 10 PC decided to purge these files without my consent and I am UNABLE to access these important files on the old hard drive.

When I hook the hard drive up using an SATA to USB bridge, when I click on the user folder, it tells me that I do not have permission to access those files. It tells me to click to permanently gain access to the files except it never grants me access. I waited 20 minutes and clicked the user folder again and it still says that I do not have permission to view these files. Clicking back and then forward does not help. Same error. Eventually it tells me that I was denied access to the folder leaving me without these important documents.

This repeats indefinitely every time I try to gain access to my old files.

Does anybody know what the problem could be and why it is denying me access to my files off the other hard drive? How can I gain access to these important documents if Windows will not let me get past the user folder?

:)

Ornithophilia, Nov 15, 2020
  2. Aceman.au Win User

Accessing personal files from old hard drive.

Hey guys, I updated my PC hardware recently and replaced my hard drive with a new one, I didn't format my old drive so I could recover old data. I've plugged it in and I can open up almost everything expect my personal files like documents, music and video. It says it needs permission to continue. I click continue and nothing happens. Are there other methods I can use to get into these files?

Edit: Nevermind after 5 minutes of waiting, it opened up for me. Please close the thread.

Aceman.au, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Cannot Access Files from old windows Hard Drive

Maybe the old PC refused to boot up because its hard disk had failed, as suggested by the Canadian Tech. Try connecting it to a different PC. If it fails there too then you need to restore your files from your backup medium.

Frederik Long, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Drone Win User

Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive

Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive

1. Cannot access personal files off of old W10 hard drive - Similar Threads - Cannot access personal

2. Window file explorer cannot access to hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window file explorer cannot access to hard drive: I download iCloud from window store to access the data in iCloud, but when I change the setting of iCloud, the software at task-bar become ‘white paper’ and window said that the software is moved, name changed or deleted when I click it. There are also some problem of the...
  3. Window file explorer cannot access to hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window file explorer cannot access to hard drive: I download iCloud from window store to access the data in iCloud, but when I change the setting of iCloud, the software at task-bar become ‘white paper’ and window said that the software is moved, name changed or deleted when I click it. There are also some problem of the...
  4. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  5. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive: I recently upgraded my pc, in which I got an SSD that I installed windows on. On my hard drive that previously had windows on it, I cannot access the recycle bin. I got to $RECYCLE.BIN but opening the recycle bin leads me to the recycle bin on my SSD. Is there any way I could...
  6. Access recycle bin on old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot copy files from Personal ONEDRIVE account to personal hard drive.

Cannot copy files from Personal ONEDRIVE account to personal hard drive.: Cannot copy files from Personal ONEDRIVE account to personal hard drive. Please can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-copy-files-from-personal-onedrive-account/d11ee721-b971-44d9-a81e-e7b3f520af55
  8. trying to access old hard drive

trying to access old hard drive: Good morning all. I recently purchased a new computer, and I'm using old hard drives to move files off other computers, and the hard drives off computers which died, and I kept the drives from. I'm on my last two drives, and I'm not able to access either. I plug them in--...
  9. Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Accessing an old hard drive with an old version of Windows on it.: I am running Windows 10 964 BIT) I want to access the data on an old hard drive that still has an old version of windows on it. (I have a docking facility.) How do I do that without the two operating systems conflicting?...
  10. File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access

in Windows 10 Support
    File in old hard drive locked, cannot gain access: Hi all! I've searched across the web for help with this and nothing has seemed to work so far. I pulled a hard drive out of my old Windows 7 (I think) PC and I was trying to salvage some old family photos. I found a file with a lock icon on it. It allows me inside, but all...