Windows 10: Cannot access registry

Discus and support Cannot access registry in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am not able to run cmd as administrator, a pop up titled 'Network Error' shows up with the following statement : 'Windows cannot access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mike#43, May 11, 2020.

1. mike#43 Win User

Cannot access registry

I am not able to run cmd as administrator, a pop up titled 'Network Error' shows up with the following statement :

'Windows cannot access C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe'

'Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problem, click Diagnose'

After I click diagnose

This comes up

'An error occurred while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the trouble shooter from starting'

This also happens when I try to run as administrator, so I cant get permission to make any changes to my laptop.

Running windows 10 Home version 1909

Thanks

Mike

:)

mike#43, May 11, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Registry editing

Hello,

This issue may have occurred after one of the following situations:

• You upgrade the Windows operating system.
    • You install or uninstall CD or DVD recording programs.
    • You uninstall Microsoft Digital Image.

Given that, we suggest performing the methods in this article:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    The resolutions that are listed in that article may help solve some instances but not all instances of this problem.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, May 11, 2020
  4. Cannot access registry

Issues while accessing Task Manager and Registry Error: Disabled by Administrator

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while accessing Task Manager and Registry on your PC. For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?
    2. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. Are you connected to Domain/organization network?
    4. What is the exact error message that you receive?

Refer the article Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to try enabling built-in administrator account and see if you are able to access Task Manager and Registry. Kindly follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Now press Windows +
      S key together to open Search.
    2. Now type CMD and select Run as administrator.
    3. Accept the UAC prompts.
    4. Type in the following command and hit Enter:

net user administrator /active:yes

If you are able to access Task Manager and Registry in built-in administrator, then create a new user account using built-in administrator and check if you are still able to access Task Manager and Registry. Refer the article
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 11, 2020
Thema:

Cannot access registry

1. Cannot access registry - Similar Threads - Cannot access registry

2. Problem with registry access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with registry access: Hello guys!Maybe because I used some dumb tool to transfer my windows to new drive appeared some issues with windows. Last major update fails to install and hyper-v cant create virtual switch. Also When I place PC in sleep sometimes ir not power off and hangs, so from main...
  3. Error accessing registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error accessing registry: I have a script I run which installs all my programs and games and basically compresses about 8 hours of work into 40 minutes. It makes lots of tweaks to the registry, services, tasks and so on. But I've been plagued for some time with problems importing registry files. I...
  4. Cannot write to Registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot write to Registry: I have a program that needs to make entries in HKCU Software VB and VBA Program Settings. It is unable to. I am the Administrator. How can I get access to the Registry? Thanks, Murray...
  5. Message: Error accessing registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Message: Error accessing registry: I tried to install some older software on WIN 10 which, according to the 'net, others have done successfully. When I try to run the set-up program, I get the above-referenced message. Research suggests this is usually due to "dead" entries in the registry left over from...
  6. Accessing the DLL and Registry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Accessing the DLL and Registry: Good afternoon, How can I access the DLL and the registry? I am a beginner and just want to poke around, not change anything. I am using WIN10 Pro. 122436
  7. Administrator Access for Registry Edit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Administrator Access for Registry Edit: I need to make two registry edits to change my 3G/4G connection to non-metered (since I get unlimited data and hate the Outlook 2016 metered connection warning). When I tried to make the registry edit, it said I needed administrative privileges. My account is an...
  8. Cannot import error accessing the registry

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot import error accessing the registry: Yes i'll do backup asap and Big thanks for your help *Smile You're welcome! *Smile
  9. Cannot edit registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot edit registry: Hello. I can't edit anything in the registry. I searched on a solution and all I could find was people saying to change the permissions, which I have done, but it still won't let me edit anything, the same error message pops up as before. Can anyone help please? 103715
  10. Cannot make changes in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot make changes in Registry: I've logged in as administrator. I run regedit as an administrator, but when I go to make changes, it just says access denied. I'm trying to fix event id 10016 errors. I've been able to take ownership, but can't attain full access. Any suggestions? Later....... I...