Windows 10: Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials...

Discus and support Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials with correct user and password... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by สรพัฒน์บุญเถิง, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials...

Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials with correct user and password

:)

สรพัฒน์บุญเถิง, Aug 14, 2021
  2. slw3k Win User

Network credentials?

I have 3 existing Windows 10 PCs. All signing in with the same Microsoft account (user name is hotmail email address). All PCs has following in Advanced sharing settings:

• HomeGroup connections

• Use user accounts and password to connect to other computers

• Password protected sharing

• Turn on password protected sharing
    Shared folder on these computers with permission set to Everyone. All of them can access each other just fine.

Bought a new Windows 10 PC, set up with the same MIcrosoft account.

Then I added a shared folder on the new PC. Any one of the existing PC can access this new PC’s shared folder, but problem is that the new PC cannot access shared folder on any one of the old PC. Windows keeps showing “Enter network credentials” and
    “the username or password is incorrect” dialog box.

Researched on Internet and played with different setting, none of them helps.

Then I tried the following and it worked:

• Change all PCs to “Sign in with a local account” and use the same username/password. After that the new PC can access old PC”s shared folder.

• Now change all PCs back to “Sign in with Microsoft account”. Interestingly, now the new PC can access shared folder on other PCs.
    So it looks like new PC has to share with other PCs with *local account* first before sharing with Microsoft account is allowed.

slw3k, Aug 14, 2021
  3. geobrick Win User
    Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented with this 'Network Credentials' prompt:

Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials... [​IMG]

Note that it already says in red, "The user name or password is incorrect" when I haven't attempted anything yet.

Here's the really interesting thing. I can enter anything into the "user name" field without any password and I'll get access to the shared public folder. I can enter my name, I can enter an 'x', I can enter anything and it will work but it has to be at least one character long. If I hit enter without any character in the username field, it won't work. Once I get access, I won't be prompted again until the next time I boot up the pc accessing the PC named WiRNS.

I have 5 PCs on the network.
    All have local accounts (not using microsoft accounts for login)
    All PCs running Windows 10 Pro (2004 but the problem predates this version).
    All PCs on the same workgroup (they are not on a domain)
    All PCs on the same local network
    No PCs have any stored Windows Credentials in the Credential Manager.
    All PCs properly set up for public folder sharing for anyone on a private network with password protected sharing turned off (so anyone on the network can access the shared folders).
    All PCs see all the other PCs and can access the public folders on the other PCs. Sharing all works except for the annoying prompt to enter (fake) Network Credentials when accessing the shared folder of the PC named WiRNS.
    All the public folder share settings on WiRNS match the other PCs

Anyone out there have any thought on what could be causing this?

geobrick, Aug 14, 2021
  4. slw3k Win User

Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials...

Windows 10: Enter Network Credentials Username and Password for a computer that already has "no password required sharing is enabled"

I have 3 existing Windows 10 PCs. All signing in with the same Microsoft account (user name is hotmail email address). All PCs has following in Advanced sharing settings:

• HomeGroup connections

• Use user accounts and password to connect to other computers

• Password protected sharing

• Turn on password protected sharing
    Shared folder on these computers with permission set to Everyone. All of them can access each other just fine.

Bought a new Windows 10 PC, set up with the same MIcrosoft account.

Then I added a shared folder on the new PC. Any one of the existing PC can access this new PC’s shared folder, but problem is that the new PC cannot access shared folder on any one of the old PC. Windows keeps showing “Enter network credentials” and
    “the username or password is incorrect” dialog box.

Researched on Internet and played with different setting, none of them helps.

Then I tried the following and it worked:

• Change all PCs to “Sign in with a local account” and use the same username/password. After that the new PC can access old PC”s shared folder.

• Now change all PCs back to “Sign in with Microsoft account”. Interestingly, now the new PC can access shared folder on other PCs.
    So it looks like new PC has to share with other PCs with *local account* first before sharing with Microsoft account is allowed.

slw3k, Aug 14, 2021
Thema:

Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials...

1. Cannot access shared folder after sign in with Microsoft account. Enter network credentials... - Similar Threads - Cannot access shared

2. Enter Network Credentials - sharing files on a home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter Network Credentials - sharing files on a home network: I have two PC, one running windows 11, the other w10.I am signed into both machinesI have all the network sharing options turned on in bothIn the W10 I can see in file explorer the w11 machineIn the W11 I can see in file explorer the w10 machineWhen i click to connect it asks...
  3. Enter Network Credentials - sharing files on a home network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter Network Credentials - sharing files on a home network: I have two PC, one running windows 11, the other w10.I am signed into both machinesI have all the network sharing options turned on in bothIn the W10 I can see in file explorer the w11 machineIn the W11 I can see in file explorer the w10 machineWhen i click to connect it asks...
  4. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  5. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  6. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Enter Network Credentials - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enter Network Credentials - Access Denied: Hello Community!I am trying to access a hard drive on my PC Desktop from my laptop. Quick summary:Both connected to home wi-fi set as private networkPC in question has sharing enabled for the driveBoth computers can see each other on the networkPassword Protect Sharing is...
  8. Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials

Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials: Hi, I'm having an issue with one laptop on my home network, I have 3 Win10 devices, they are all logged into using the same Microsoft account. I'm able to share folders between two of them but this one laptop always requests 'Enter Network Credentials' and it's not clear...
  9. Printer Sharing and Network credential access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Printer Sharing and Network credential access: Hello: I have two desktops running Windows 10. One is a new one and I would like to be able to print from the USB connected printer on the other desktop. Problem is when I go to access my other computer which I can see, it pops up asking for security credentials. I really...
  10. Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures)

Cannot Access Shared Folders On Network (With Pictures): Hi all.. Background I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The upgrade was done OTA. While I was using Windows 7 I had no network problems. Network Issue After the upgrade I am no longer able to access my shared folders or even the other shared computers...