Windows 10: Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Discus and support Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain. I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by scott1029, Sep 23, 2017.

1. scott1029 Win User

Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Hi,

I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain.
    I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my router using a local IP address.

I can't however access any of my mapped drives.
    I've tried allowing all SMB rules in windows firewall

Help appreciated

Thanks

:)

scott1029, Sep 23, 2017
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Access server smb shares remotely via pptp vpn

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Forum.

I would suggest you to post your question in TechNet forums.

TechNet Forum: Windows 10 IT Pro

TechNet is looked at by other IT professionals who would more than likely be able to assist you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks& Regards,

Isha Soni, Sep 23, 2017
  3. zemmo Win User
    Access server smb shares remotely via pptp vpn

Hi. I have successfully created a vpn "Incoming Connection" by adding a "New Incoming Connection" under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. After lots of trouble shooting and forum research, I can successfully access the vpn from the
    internet (with standard W10 settings - ie no other apps etc).

(One thing: the only way I can make this work is to specify IP addresses in the TPC/IPV4 settings for the incoming connection. During a vpn connection, my router shows a new device with the same name as my server and the "specified" ip address while the
    server seems to remain connected via its own router-fixed IP address).

When I connect from the internet (via Android vpn), I can successfully read/write to any smb share on my home LAN that is NOT shared from the vpn server (Windows 10 Professional PC). These shares are on W10, Android and Rpi2 devices connected to the router
    variously by Ethernet/wireless. Fantastic start.

I can NOT access shares on the "server" machine (ie the W10 pc through which the vpn connect is established) from the internet.
    And these are the ones I really want.

NB these shares work perfectly when accessed from my home LAN. I have run through all the permissions in grim detail and they are identical to those on the other W10 shares.

I suspect the problem might be either:

a) a user account problem (perhaps my user account can't see shares from its "own" machine when connected remotely? I have created a new account to test this theory with no success).

b) some sort of ip address conflict.

I will keep investigating but I would appreciate any clues! Happy to provide further configs if it can help.

Thanks so much!

Z

zemmo, Sep 23, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

What are you using to do the VPN handling? You should not need to share files, if you are directly accessing the machine. If you want to use FTP to access those folders only for FTP, you have to set them up that way.

bro67, Sep 24, 2017
  5. PiKo Win User
    Same for me with Android device and Raspberry Pi. Without vpn no problem with SMB, with vpn no access to Pi.
    Curious whether a solution exists.

6. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN - Similar Threads - Cannot access SMB

2. SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can: hello and thanks in advance for your supportI have setup an SMB share in TrueNas Scale. I have enabled all the recommended settings, created a user with permission to access the folder and when connecting via every other device, connecting to \\192.168.1.17\NASMAIN with my...
  3. SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMB - Windows cannot access shared folder, every other device can: hello and thanks in advance for your supportI have setup an SMB share in TrueNas Scale. I have enabled all the recommended settings, created a user with permission to access the folder and when connecting via every other device, connecting to \\192.168.1.17\NASMAIN with my...
  4. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  5. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  6. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. SMB shares accessible via IP but not by hostname works at reboot but shortly after it does not

SMB shares accessible via IP but not by hostname works at reboot but shortly after it does not: I'm assuming one of the recent updates broke this but for some reason... SMB shares are only accessible via internal network IP...eg... \\192.168.1.50\<share name> when it should be... \\<server hostname>\<share name> I do not have this issue outside of this...
  8. Access shared folder on remote comp.with "net share" via VPN and IPv6?

Access shared folder on remote comp.with "net share" via VPN and IPv6?: In the past I mount a remote shared folder as drive W: in my local Windows Explorer with a command similar to: net use w: \\192.168.0.21\myshare /persistent:no This works successfully on a IPv4 connection. At first: Which remote port does the "net share" command...
  9. Cannot access VPN

Cannot access VPN: I am unable to remote into my work computer using VPN. The error message I get is "Internal authentication error". I called the IT company the organization uses and they told me there was a problem on my end that I needed to figure out. I have followed several...
  10. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problemi con share smb con vpn

2. cannot access server shares via smib

3. smb via openvpn windows

4. smb windows accès vpn,
  5. smb shres not avialbe through microsoft vpn,
  6. cant access shares via vpn