Windows 10: Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on Lenovo. Have been using SanDisk UltraFit USB drive without any issues. After upgrade was moving files from SSD hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wind10user, May 13, 2020.

1. Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10

Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on Lenovo.

Have been using SanDisk UltraFit USB drive without any issues.

After upgrade was moving files from SSD hard drive to USB drive and transfer process stopped and froze laptop. Rebooted laptop and from then onward the USB drive is not fully accessible in this laptop or on other Win10 and Win8.1 machines. USB drive is partially recognized in File Explorer and Disk Management and Device Management. See images below. The name of the USB drive SanDisk Ultra Fit is detected on Drive D: and there were events logged just at the time of the transfer process that froze up. See notes below.

Have tried CMD and it did not work either. Tried several commercial recovery programs but the drive D: does not show up on their scan. Please help get this drive working again. Most of files are backed up but latest 60-90 days are not backed up. It seems like this is still fixable and that the drive is not totally non functional. It is being detected partially at least. Not sure what the event logs are saying happened.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 ec3ce2ad-60e9-444e-b46d-a5a78644aa7b?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 a7f4b0c1-7743-4e1c-8618-68a14418c879?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 d4f188ee-907a-4622-bd1b-09a5949629f5?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 6428237e-74ed-444c-be57-f296be3529ae?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 b43bbc89-3629-443d-aef9-6bebfae1fd58?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 e485c5c2-a71e-456f-bfc5-5caececa0781?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 a802bf3b-29d3-40ba-b7a1-8a65cedc289e?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 d98a5b6f-8055-45b6-a535-1745614b353c?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 c7aef45c-880c-4b25-a90e-34659832aab6?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 1a92fbb7-cc98-450a-a95b-fa8698c8481d?upload=true.png Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 2d6c3de0-6a56-4ceb-ad51-8b81cf1f873b?upload=true.png

:)

Wind10user, May 13, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 13, 2020
  3. 7.62 Win User
    Installing Windows 7 via USB flash drive!

USB drive doesnt show up, even after a format through windows (XP)

Any suggestions?

4. Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10

1. Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot access USB

2. Cannot eject USB Flash Drive after accessing Excel files or PDF's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot eject USB Flash Drive after accessing Excel files or PDF's: I have had a repeated experience in the recent past after accessing a Flash drive plugged into a USB port on my Windows 10 HP computer. After using Excel and saving it back to the Drive or after reading a PDF via Adobe Reader DC and closing it, I cannot eject the flash drive....
  3. Cannot eject USB Flash Drive after accessing Excel files or PDF's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot eject USB Flash Drive after accessing Excel files or PDF's: I have had a repeated experience in the recent past after accessing a Flash drive plugged into a USB port on my Windows 10 HP computer. After using Excel and saving it back to the Drive or after reading a PDF via Adobe Reader DC and closing it, I cannot eject the flash drive....
  4. Cannot eject USB Flash Drive after accessing Excel files or PDF's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10

Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10: We upgraded from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Since the all USB Flash drives are failing with permissions denied. I've tried several things. - I tried updating the Driver using Device Manager for all of the USB Root entries. I even removed all of the USB Root...
  6. Cannot access USB Drive after upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro

Cannot access USB Drive after upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: Getting "Access Denied" when trying to use USB drive after recent update from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro: All Administrator permissions seem OK I've deleted and reinstalled all USB drivers Cleaned/Error checked/Defragged C Drive. I've read that HP Client Security...
  7. Cannot access USB drive

Cannot access USB drive: Hi Microsoft Community, I have a USB and I used it to store some important data there. After a few days, it was inaccessible and showed the following below regardless of what computer I used (including different OSses)[ATTACH][ATTACH] PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ANSWERING....
  8. access denied for a usb flash drive.

access denied for a usb flash drive.: I have a new hp laptop and I cannot access any usb flash drives. I am not a computer person and I have tried all the internet solutions. Can you help me?...
  9. No access on HDD's and USB flash drives

No access on HDD's and USB flash drives: Hello. Because i do not know if there is a specific term for the problem i'm facing with access, to look for possible solutions, i open this thread and forgive me if there is already a thread with the same problem. I do not have access to any of the extra hard disks and...
  10. No access on HDD's and USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Support
    No access on HDD's and USB flash drives: Hello. Because i do not know if there is a specific term for the problem i'm facing with access, to look for possible solutions, i open this thread and forgive me if there is already a thread with the same problem. I do not have access to any of the extra hard disks and...