Windows 10: Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router

Discus and support Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a router, serving as an access point. It is an ASUS RT-AC87U. Connected to it via USB 3.0 is a 5TB portable drive. My initial setup with this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JOSHSKORN, Oct 16, 2020.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router

I have a router, serving as an access point. It is an ASUS RT-AC87U. Connected to it via USB 3.0 is a 5TB portable drive. My initial setup with this allowing anonymous logins worked just fine. I've so far disabled Anonymous Logins for both FTP and Media Share. The FTP side of things worked "OK" using FileZilla (by "OK" meaning it doesn't filter out other user's folder names, it just doesn't give you access to them). However, when attempting to map a network drive through Windows Explorer, when I get to the credentials screen, it will correctly detect a bad password, however if the password is good, it won't actually let me log in. Instead, the prompt will repeat.

Steps to re-create problem:

1. Open Windows Explorer:
    2. Right-Click on This PC, select Map network drive...
    3. Select:
      • Drive Letter: Y
      • Folder: \\192.168.1.2\MainBU
    4. Check both: Reconnect at sign-in and Connect using different credentials.
    5. Click Finish
    6. Enter Password (username is already shown) or select More Choices to login with a different username). and Click OK.
    One of two things happen:
    1. Bad Password: Login prompt will repeat with red text: The specified network password is not correct. I could get the password wrong several times and it won't stop looping.
    2. Good Password: Login prompt will just repeat. Eventually, it will give me an Error Code: 0x80070043, and the diagnostic will claim that it cannot find the drive.
    Other related information: I installed Asus-Merlin onto my router. The stock firmware does not support SMB2, ASUSMerlin does, and I tried putting it into both SMB1/SMB2 mode and then just SMB2 mode. I've also enabled SMB1 in Windows 10 (through the adding/removing features option) and I also verified that SMB2 is enabled via PowerShell.

With that all said, any hints on how I can get this thing working? I really don't want to just allow anonymous logins and call it a day, for obvious security reasons.

EDIT: I wanted to add that when setting up this drive, I plugged it into my Windows 10 Machine, Converted it to GPT, set the Drive Letter to (ICannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router :), performed a Quick Format and named the volume "MainBU". Not sure if that helps or not. I tried formatting the drive using the Format option of the router but it kept screwing up the partitions and converting it to MBR, which cannot read a 5TB partition.

:)

JOSHSKORN, Oct 16, 2020

2. Can't access network drive plugged into the router USB port.

Hi Lionel,

It seems that your USB drive is not mapped on your other laptop that's why it can't see it. For me to properly assist you with this concern, please provide me the following information:

• Is this the first time you're trying to access the USB drive from the second laptop?
    • Have you tried adding or mapping the USB drive as a network drive?
    • Do you know the IP address of your router?

If the USB drive is already shared, then you can start mapping it on the second laptop. Please check out the link Map a network
    drive
    and follow the steps for Windows 10.

In case the above steps won't work, then you may have to access the USB drive using the router's IP address. If you don't know the router's IP, then you can check it from the
    Command Prompt. Just type in cmd in the Cortana search, then press Enter. Once the command prompt window opens, type in
    ipconfig, and press Enter. Whatever Default Gateway appears on the result is your
    router's IP address.

Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router 2adff3da-ebdb-4f0d-adc3-4a4dda5e9154?upload=true.png

To access the USB drive using the router's IP, follow these steps:

1. Open the File Explorer.
    2. Click the Network Folder, then clear the path in File Explorer, and replace it with
      \\192.168.2.1 (or whatever router IP you have), then press
      Enter.

Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router 689e83b8-12c2-4ed2-a7f0-f834044f8cdf?upload=true.png

3. The USB drive should now show as a shared folder. At this point, you can either
    pin the shared folder to Start, create a shortcut to the desktop, or
    map it as a network drive. You may follow the same steps from the link I provided above.

Please let me know how it goes so I can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 16, 2020
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Oct 16, 2020
  4. Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router

Can't access network drive plugged into the router USB port.

Have you tried accessing the USB drive using the router's IP in your second laptop? If you haven't yet, then please get the correct router IP (Default Gateway) and try to access it on the second laptop. Kindly follow the steps in
    accessing the USB drive using the router IP which I provided in my previous reply.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router

1. Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router - Similar Threads - Cannot Access USB

2. Setting up a usb drive on asus router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up a usb drive on asus router: I have setup a usb drive on an asus router rt-ax86uI can get to the usb drive "Network> RT-AX86U-9E08> Staging" from explorer screen capture attachedAccessing "Staging" Win asks for network credentialsI've entered every possible correct credentialsWin gives error every timeIn...
  3. Setting up a usb drive on asus router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up a usb drive on asus router: I have setup a usb drive on an asus router rt-ax86uI can get to the usb drive "Network> RT-AX86U-9E08> Staging" from explorer screen capture attachedAccessing "Staging" Win asks for network credentialsI've entered every possible correct credentialsWin gives error every timeIn...
  4. Cannot access my router dashboard

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access my router dashboard: Hi all I can’t seem to connect to my sky router dashboard on my PC. When I input the IP address in the address bar I get a “hmmmm.... can’t reach this page Err_connection refused” message. I’m running windows 10 pro. Version 20H2 Build 19042.804 I also run hyperV on this...
  5. Cannot access Router IP or NAS IP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access Router IP or NAS IP: I am running Windows 10 64 bit professional and using Firefox as my web browser. Whenever I put in the IP address of either my BT Hub 2 router or my QNAP NAS all I keep getting is 'server not found' even though when I do the same on my mobile phone I can access them with no...
  6. Access USB Plugged into Router

Access USB Plugged into Router: Hey Guys I am trying to access my router using file explorer [ATTACH] I then used the default gateway address and tried pasting it into file explorer as shown [ATTACH] But then receive the following error [ATTACH]...
  7. cannot access the USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot access the USB: I receive the message -you don’t currently have permission to access this folder- when I try to access the USB. I was recommended to open the security tab on this USB but I cannot find any security tab there....
  8. Cannot access Storage Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot access Storage Space: I've created a problem with Storage Spaces by changing the drive letter in Windows 10. This has caused a Storage Spaces error, and I can no longer see the Storage space in File Explorer. Disk Management shows the drive as unallocated. I now have the following situation. The...
  9. Spartan browser cannot access my Router

in Browsers and Email
    Spartan browser cannot access my Router: Try to use Spartan browser on Win10 build 10056 to access my home Router but unfortunately it canot pop up the login page.so I cannot do any configuration with my router when use Spartan browser. does anyone meet the same problem? thanks. 5586
  10. Asus router not loading

Asus router not loading: Ok so I am trying to port forward my Asus RT-N10+ and whenever I create a new virtual server and click Apply it loads and then gets stuck on "Complete!". Please help, I have no idea what's wrong! 53286