Windows 10: Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Discus and support Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dmcmillen, Oct 23, 2018.

1. dmcmillen Win User

Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop

Win 7 desktop is hardwired to Linksys ea8300 router and Win 10 laptop is connected via wifi. The Win 10 laptop can see the Win 7 desktop and its shares and connect to them. The win 7 desktop can see the win 10 tablet in the network but any attempt to access the laptop (dell-tablet) generates a permissions error (see below). This was working and I don't know what changed.

Win 10 tablet does not require any logon. Shares grant full permissions to everyone at the share and the security level. Win 7 desktop is a member of a homegroup and network discovery and file sharing are turned on for the home network. Of course, homegroup is no longer part of Win 10. Tablet is a private network and network discovery and file sharing is turned on for the private network. Both pcs are in a workgroup called Home. Function Discovery Provider Host & Function Discovery Resource Publication are both running on the win 10 tablet.

Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop [​IMG]

After getting the access problem, I cannot find any logged events on the tablet rejecting the access. I am at a loss especially since this was working.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Thanks, David

:)

dmcmillen, Oct 23, 2018
  2. mbc320 Win User

Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC.

I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way.

Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Laptop is OK.

Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Desktop is OK.

Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 Laptop is NO GO.

I do not know whether it is a Win 10 Laptop or a Win 7 Desktop problem. All use the same Homegroup. I am the only user; there are no other accounts on any of the machines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

mbc320, Oct 23, 2018
  3. mb300e Win User
    Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

I am assuming that this is a Win 10 problem.

I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC.
    I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way.

Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK.
    Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Laptop is OK.
    Win 10 Laptop to Win 7 Desktop is OK.
    Win 7 Desktop to Win 10 Laptop is NO GO.

I do not know whether it is a Win 10 Laptop or a Win 7 Desktop problem. All use the same Homegroup. I am the only user; there are no other accounts on any of the machines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mb300e, Oct 23, 2018
  4. mb300e Win User

Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members.

I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has two 500 GB drives installed. Drive 0 is for op sys, and drive 1 is for data files.

The Win 10 Laptop drive 1 was mapped from both the Win 7 Laptop and the Win 7 Desktop PC. I could access all of the folders and files on the mapped drive from the Win 7 Laptop but not from the Win 7 Desktop PC. I can see the Drive and open it but when I double click on my “User Name” folder I get an error message saying Z:\”User Name” is not accessible. Access is denied.

I can open all other folders and files and can create and delete folders and files on the mapped drive from both the Win 7 Desktop PC and the Win 7 Laptop.

I checked the “Share” status of the Win 10 Laptop Drive 1 and it shows “Shared.” I have also checked the permissions and the two users listed have Full Control, Change and Read checked.

On the Win 10 Laptop, I opened the Drive 1 folder, Right Clicked on my “User Name” folder and selected “Share With” which opened a window listing “Stop Sharing”, “Homegroup (view)”, “Homegroup (view & edit)” and “Specific Users.” Double clicking on “Homegroup (view & edit)” solved my share problem.*Biggrin

This share problem cropped up recently, cause unknown. I have never had reason in the past to get involved with “Homegroup” either. *Rolleyes

Peter B.

mb300e, Oct 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot Access Win 10 Laptop from Win 7 Desktop - Similar Threads - Cannot Access Laptop

2. Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...: Trying to access files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7 on a desktop computer Win 10. All system files and program files are viewable, but not the contents of the Desktop Folders. The directory for the hard drive appears to include all of the data on the drive. But when I go to...
  3. Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...: Trying to access files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7 on a desktop computer Win 10. All system files and program files are viewable, but not the contents of the Desktop Folders. The directory for the hard drive appears to include all of the data on the drive. But when I go to...
  4. Trying to access Desktop files from a SATA laptop drive Win 7, on a desktop computer Win...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 computer cannot access Win 7 computer

Win 10 computer cannot access Win 7 computer: This was working for a while, but no longer is (as typical). I did have to reinstall the OS on the Win 10 computer, nothing changed on the Win 7 computer. The Win 7 computer shows up on the network, but if I click on it says "unable to access". Discovery in the options is...
  6. Lost desktop/user upgrading from win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost desktop/user upgrading from win 7 to win 10: Upgraded from win 7 to win 10 from a mem stick. That installation could not download win updates. At this point both main and secondary desktops/users were present to log into. Then re-installed win 10 using media creation tool on microsoft website. Now the second one is not...
  7. No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop

No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop: About 4 weeks ago I found I could no longer access any Win 10 folders from my Win 7 PC or Win 7 laptop. I have done the following to try to resolve this. 1) On Win 7 machines. deleted mapped drives and tried to re-map them – Failed, could not even see the Win 10 Laptop when...
  8. Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop

Cannot connect from a Networked Win 7 PC to a Win 10 Laptop: I am assuming that this is a Win 10 problem. I have 2 networked Laptops, one is a Win 10, one a Win 7, and a networked Win 7 PC. I am unable to connect from Win 7 Desktop to a Windows 10 Laptop but I can go the other way. Status: Win 7 Laptop to Win 10 Laptop is OK....
  9. Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.: I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members. I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has...
  10. Cannot upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - "unknown error"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - "unknown error": I am trying to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. Before proceeding I installed all the required Win 7 updates, then attempted to install Win 10. However every time I try I get: "Code 80070780 Windows Update encountered an unknown error." See attached screen captures. "Get...