Windows 10: Cannot access Win10 machine via local network

Discus and support Cannot access Win10 machine via local network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am 'birthing' my first Win10 machine, OS V1809, and must have goofed something up... All machines in my home belong to the same Workgroup and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by groston, Oct 29, 2019.

1. groston Win User

Cannot access Win10 machine via local network

I am 'birthing' my first Win10 machine, OS V1809, and must have goofed something up...

All machines in my home belong to the same Workgroup and the users/passwords are consistent across all machines. From my Win7 desktop, I:
    • Can access my Win10 machine, via Explorer, using its IP address
    • Can ping the Win10 machine using both its name and IP address
    • Cannot access the Win10 machine, via Explorer, using its name

From the Win10 machine, I can see all other computers on the network and access all of them.

I do not believe that this is a firewall issue as the issue persists when the firewall is disabled. I do believe that network and file sharing is enabled (but, I could be wrong). The issue exists with both the Ethernet and WiFi connections, so it is probably not interface-specific.

Please suggest what I can do to resolve this issue. Thx.

:)

groston, Oct 29, 2019

2. Local network SNAFU

The XP machines still do not show, and I cannot access the Win10 machine from them. Although the Win10 m/c shows in the network list I get a similar 'you do not have access permissions to this computer' message

Benhoughton, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Cannot access 32 bit machines in Network

I recently upgraded to Win10 on 2 of my 32 bit machines and I cannot access them via the network.

My 64 bit machine is ok after the upgrade.

Therefore when will Microsoft issue an update to enable 32 bit machines to access the local network.

I would add that my Win7 and Win8.1 machines 32 bit all work ok on my network.

Deric

Deric Stain, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Hale_ru Win User

Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol

A week or two ago (around NewYear 2019) my Win10 based laptop stopped seeing local network machines using SMB2 protocol. Accessing shares by explicit machine names works fine.

Before that I had no problems with listing active machine names. Nothing was changed from my side; but windows 10 updates itself without prompting, or telling what it plans to update... so probably it was damaged from Microsoft side.

SMB1 was disabled long ago.

There is a forced master browser NAS/Router with SAMBA working 24x7. SMB2 protocol is forced for shares. Higher SMB versions are not supported there. Domain controller features are not used - only master browser and WINS(nmbd). Access is based on user name/password
    in all the network. DNS (dnsmasq) is also configured for local network domain suffix. i.e. Both WINS and DNS fulfill dynamic LAN name resolution with no problems.

In windows 10 SMB2 seems enabled, but unable to get network resource listing from SAMBA master browser.

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol

EnableSMB2Protocol

------------------

True

All the firewalls are configured for private LAN with file sharing and I also tried disabling(opening) the firewalls inside the LAN.

When installing SMB1 client on WIn10, and allowing SMB1 in SAMBA, the network machine listing revives. But still, it is not correct, since SMB1 is deprecated and not supported by default in Windows anymore.

Is there a way to bring SMB2 LAN machine listing back to life on Windows 10?

***Modified title from: Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol.***

Hale_ru, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot access Win10 machine via local network - Similar Threads - Cannot access Win10

2. Windows 11 Pro cannot access via network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro cannot access via network drive: Hi,I am trying to access files via my another PC Windows 10 Pro but it always giving the following error:I have been using this network from the same PC few days ago but today this problem started. I have tried all the methods shown here but still the issue persists.How to...
  3. How to get our Win10 machines visible on local network??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get our Win10 machines visible on local network??: This is really annoying!! When our machines were Win7, it was trivial to make the machines visible on our local network, and then share folders. Now that we both have Win10 machines, though, it seems to be almost impossible!! I've followed all the varying instructions that...
  4. troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10

troubleshooting local network file access between win7 and win10: I think I have the discovery, encription, pwd off, c file system share settings on both, but the win10 system cannot see the win7 one, and the win7 one can see the win10 one, but says the access is not allowed. What can I check now? I will recheck the win10 c drive...
  5. Three Win10 Machines connected via switch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Three Win10 Machines connected via switch: I have one server, two pcs, a laptop and two xbox's all connected using the following network scheme: Modem > All-in-One Router > 8-port switch > everything else (server/pc from switch, phones/laptops via wireless) My question is: Why does my Network Explorer window not...
  6. Which protocol for accessing NAS in local network - Win10 HOME

Which protocol for accessing NAS in local network - Win10 HOME: Hello, i have after each WIN update problems with accessing my NAS - configured SMB it seems Microsoft is trying to disable SMB1 feature we have 4 PCs & NB's with MS WIN 10 HOME, with MS Office, etc... and is anoying each time looking for solution to make it work again...
  7. Cannot access local device via any browser

Cannot access local device via any browser: I have multiple computers on my local home business workgroup. One machine is blocked from accessing any local devices like my NAS, router or printers via name or ip address. I have tried many solution including the latest of reinstalling windows. I can successfully ping or...
  8. Cannot access other computers in my local network

Cannot access other computers in my local network: Our home network computers have windows 10. Problem is I cannot access to the network computer. Error code: 0x80070035 This error has happened since two days ago. I can access the network computer thru IP address. But I cannot access thru the computer name in the file...
  9. Updates via Local Network

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates via Local Network: Hello I have (4) computers, I want to update only (01) PC via internet and the other via Local network with the option of Windows update . But it seems don't work with me ! I think I didn't build a well local network , The (3) PCs are connected to the router that's all,...
  10. couldn't access shared folders via local network

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    couldn't access shared folders via local network: After a clean install of Windows 10 (1709 RS3) Fall Creators Update 16299.15 i couldn't access shared folders via local network. 95870