Windows 10: Cannot access Windows 95 shared folder from Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot access Windows 95 shared folder from Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks! I am experiencing a weird problem with an old PC, controlling an instrument in the lab, which runs Windows 95. I set up a shared folder to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Luca Andena, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Cannot access Windows 95 shared folder from Windows 10

Hi folks!

I am experiencing a weird problem with an old PC, controlling an instrument in the lab, which runs Windows 95.

I set up a shared folder to collect data from the instruments (without relying on floppy disks for that).

Curiously, my PC (running Windows 10) cannot access the shared folder (no credentials asked, I get error 0x80004005) BUT another PC also with Windows 10 can. I don't see the PC listed in the network but I can access it by looking for \\PC-name and the shared folder shows up.

This brings me to think that the Win 95 share is setup correctly.

I was wondering why I can access it from one PC and not from another one in the same network.

Is there any specific Windows 10 setting that may prevent access to that shared folder?

:)

Luca Andena, Nov 20, 2018
  2. Kreij Win User

Map Windows 7 Shared Folder to Win 95

I am able to map the folder shared by the Windows 7 machine on my XP Pro machine without problem.
    I cannot get the Windows 95 machine to map the folder shared by the Windows 7 machine.
    The Windows 95 machine will map a drive shared by an XP machine just fine.

Kreij, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Kreij Win User
    Map Windows 7 Shared Folder to Win 95

Okay .. I figured it all out.

Configuring Windows 95 so it can map Windows 7 shared folders.

You need to update Windows 95 so that it can utilitze NTLMv2 network protocols (and use 128 bit encryption for authentification).
    Nothing needs to be done on the Windows 7 machine other than sharing a drive or folder.

On the Windows 95 Machine you will need a local account with the same name and password as on the Win7 machine or in the domain.
    The Windows 95 computer does not have to be a member computer in the domain (ie. does not need domain authentification)

1) Install the Distributed File System client for Windows 95 (dfs41w95.exe)
    2) Install WinSock 2.0 (w95ws2setup.exe)
    3) Install Microsoft Dial-Up Network 1.3 (MSDUN13.exe)
    (I wasn't sure what msdun13 does to the TCP/IP stack so I reinstalled winsock2.0 again)
    4) Install Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 / 32 bit (ie40sp2.exe ... you need this or step #6 will termintate without installing)
    5) Install Microsoft Installer 2.0 (InstMsiA.exe .. you need this so Windows 95 knows what to do with the .msi file in the next step)
    6) Install Distributed Services Client for Windows 9x (dsclient9x.msi)
    7) Go into the registry editor (regedit) and go to ...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control
    Create a Key named Lsa
    Create a DWORD in Lsa named LMCompatilbility with a hex value of "3".
    8) Reboot once more.

Mapping a network drive on a Windows 7 machine should now work.

Kreij, Nov 20, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Cannot access Windows 95 shared folder from Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

Cannot access Windows 95 shared folder from Windows 10

1. Cannot access Windows 95 shared folder from Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot access shared

2. Cannot access QNAP shares from windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access QNAP shares from windows 10: I have a QNAP NAS connected in my LAN having a name (nas-name) and an IP (nas-ip). After a brand new W10 PC entered my network I got the 'Windows Cannot access \\nas-ip" error when typing \\nas-ip in explorer. All other PCs can access the NAS folder tree in explorer though. I...
  3. Windows cannot access Shared Folder or Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows cannot access Shared Folder or Drive in Windows 10: You may experience a Windows cannot access \\ Computer’s Name, Shared folder, or Network Drive letter error while trying to access a shared file. In this article, we are going to find reasons and fixes for this problem. Why can’t I access Shared Folder or Drive This error...
  4. Latest windows 10 pro cannot accessing network shared folder

Latest windows 10 pro cannot accessing network shared folder: Hi, is anyone facing the same problem like me? I was setting up 2 new HP prodesk with windows 10 pro, each of them shared a folder and alllowed for everyone and same as security tab. But i got an error of can't accessing or find the specified computer etc, eventually windows7...
  5. cannot access a shared file/folder

cannot access a shared file/folder: I am having a problem on my new laptop computer trying to access a shared folder on my desktop computer. Both computers are on a private network along with two other laptop computers. When I start Internet Explorer on the new laptop computer and try to search the network for...
  6. Shared Folders not accessible on Windows 10 Desktop

Shared Folders not accessible on Windows 10 Desktop: Hello Everyone. First of all, how my ethernet is configured. 1 router connected to the internet. 1 desktop pc (W10 pro, x64) connected through LAN to the router. 2 android devices connected through wifi, 1 of them a tablet, over 5ghz band and the other a smartphone, over...
  7. Cannot access any network shares from Windows 10.

Cannot access any network shares from Windows 10.: I host some network shares via samba on an Ubuntu server, for my local network, and I'm not able to access it. Originally I assumed it was a problem with the samba server, but after trying many things, and searches all leading to dead ends, I eventually tried using a...
  8. cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop

cannot access shared folder on windows 8 laptop: Hello all, I am trying to share some files and folders on a windows 8.1 laptop with a windows 10 desktop. I have enabled all share options and authorizations on both computers and on the source files as well. However, on the windows 8.1 laptop the other pc is not visible...
  9. Windows 10 cannot access shared folder on Windows 7

Windows 10 cannot access shared folder on Windows 7: We recently had 2 new computers built in house, both with Windows 10 OS. Our main computer that we use for shared files runs on Windows 7. After connecting both new Win 10 computers to network, one had immediate access to shared files and hasn't missed a beat, however the...
  10. Cannot access Windows 10 Share

Cannot access Windows 10 Share: Hello I am having trouble networking 2 Windows 10 computers together on my network. This is kind of odd, I have a Windows 7 PC that can hit the file share with no issues. And on the troubled computer I can access the shares on the Windows 7 PC. But the Windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 95 file access to windows 2016

2. acces windows 95 file share from windows 10

3. windows 95 file sharing

4. win95 Access network share ,
  5. share win 20 and win95,
  6. windows 10 windows 95 share,
  7. path not found sharing windows 95 share,
  8. dfs41w95.exe,
  9. log in win95 to share folders,
  10. how to access win95 from win 10,
  11. distributed file system client win95,