Windows 10: Cannot access windows as laptop is asking for a password I never set

Discus and support Cannot access windows as laptop is asking for a password I never set in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have an ASUS laptop that my son restarted in diagnostic mode. It now doesn't recognise my fingerprint, says there is a problem with my pin but won't... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by elmoh_d, May 15, 2021.

1. elmoh_d Win User

Cannot access windows as laptop is asking for a password I never set

I have an ASUS laptop that my son restarted in diagnostic mode. It now doesn't recognise my fingerprint, says there is a problem with my pin but won't let me reset it and is asking for a password but I have never set a password on my laptop and my windows password doesn't work. Is there anything I can do?

:)

elmoh_d, May 15, 2021
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

How can I find the password for my Windows 10 laptop?

I found a solution to my problem. What I did was:
    1. Open Network & Sharing Center on the laptop.
    2. Click "Change advanced sharing settings"
    3. Expand the "All Networks" item.
    4. Change "Password protected sharing" from On to Off.

Now when I click my laptop name in File Explorer > Networks, it just shows my shared folder without asking for a network credentials password. This is how it used to work before.

Hope this helps others,

3. Bruce SX Win User
    FORGOTTEN PASSWORD To gain access to Laptop

To tell the truth, I must profess ignorance

When all this started I went through the following steps:.
    1) Turn on the laptop picture of a fjord appears.
    2) A left click on the screen causes the user name to appears with the password box under it.
    3) Anything(or nothing) typed into the password box, with a tap to the enter key then brings the command to try again.

See, I can't seem to get anywhere except I somehow(during my efforts to try variations of the password hint) ended up getting a screen that was related(I think) to BIOS.
    That allowed me to go through some settings(administrative?) and choose a password. I chose to do that.
    Aha I thought.
    All that did was give me a log in command box(for which I created a password) .
    So now, instead of the 3 steps above I have to log in to get to the 3 steps above. A step I didn't have to do before.

What I'm trying to say is this(after all my fumbling about): that I still do not know the difference between a local user account or an MS account-linked user account.

All i know, at this point, is that I am stuck at step 3 and really am not sure what to do except maybe have my fiend reach out to ASUS.

I made a mistake in my first post. I do not have the OS disc. I have the ASUS DVD suite. I mistakenly assumed it was an OS disc. I talked to my friend and was told that her laptop came preloaded with Win10.

DVD suite listings
    -Power 2go8
    -E-Green
    -ASUS Firmware Update
    -Quick Install Guide

Thanks for your reply sir. I do appreciate it.

Regards,
    Bruce

Bruce SX, May 15, 2021
  4. Saja67 Win User

Bitlocker not asking for password set up

I have the same problem as David with bitlocker set-up not asking me for a password. Following the instructions in the article suggested by Jennifer does not help as it assumes that I will be prompted to enter a password - the set up skips that step going
    straight to the options for saving the recovery key. Once (supposedly) encrypted, I can restart my computer without having to enter anything apart from my microsoft password so I do not have any additional security at all.

Saja67, May 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Cannot access windows as laptop is asking for a password I never set - Similar Threads - Cannot access laptop

2. I cannot login to my laptop, it is asking me for a pin that I never setup. I use a password...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot login to my laptop, it is asking me for a pin that I never setup. I use a password...: I cannot login to my laptop, it is asking me for a pin that I never setup. I use a password instead. There is no option on the screen to use but the PIN.This happened after win 11 upgrade. I contacted Microsoft support online and they have no clue what to do. I wasted two...
  3. I cannot login to my laptop, it is asking me for a pin that I never setup. I use a password...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot login to my laptop, it is asking me for a pin that I never setup. I use a password...: I cannot login to my laptop, it is asking me for a pin that I never setup. I use a password instead. There is no option on the screen to use but the PIN.This happened after win 11 upgrade. I contacted Microsoft support online and they have no clue what to do. I wasted two...
  4. Windows 11 is asking me for a 5 digit password that I never set

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is asking me for a 5 digit password that I never set: My Windows 11 Home is asking me for a 5 digit password, meaning it stop taking input after I type 5 digits, but my actual password is 8 digits. Thus I can't log into my computer without restart, see belowThis happened when it woke up in the morning two days in a row, after...
  5. Windows 11 is asking me for a 5 digit password that I never set

Windows 11 is asking me for a 5 digit password that I never set: My Windows 11 Home is asking me for a 5 digit password, meaning it stop taking input after I type 5 digits, but my actual password is 8 digits. Thus I can't log into my computer without restart, see belowThis happened when it woke up in the morning two days in a row, after...
  6. Windows 11 PC asking for password when I never set one up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 PC asking for password when I never set one up?: Brand new out of the box PC, I set up via my work email. I never set a password. set everything up with my outlook account.I turned the PC off came intoday and it asked for a password. I put in my password for my email and it did not work.There is also another option for "...
  7. Windows 11 asking to reset password on a machine I never set up a password to begin with

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 asking to reset password on a machine I never set up a password to begin with: Hi,I never set up a password on this desktop and now it’s asking me to reset a password for something I never created in this desktop. Someone please help....
  8. Windows 11 asking to reset password on a machine I never set up a password to begin with

Windows 11 asking to reset password on a machine I never set up a password to begin with: Hi,I never set up a password on this desktop and now it’s asking me to reset a password for something I never created in this desktop. Someone please help....
  9. Cannot verify identity ask for pin that was never set.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot verify identity ask for pin that was never set.: A few years back I set up my mothering law laptop from new. WEcopied down and the user name and password. AND DID NOT SET A PIN. From time to time BT force her to change her email password,no issues change the password then update in windows. But this time we cannot...
  10. Suddenly windows 10 asks for password when sign in and I never set it

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Suddenly windows 10 asks for password when sign in and I never set it: I never put password for sign in and im the only user for this computer. Yesterday when i switch on it asks for pw to sign in. Asked for current and create new password. I managed to put one n logon. Went to settings and disabled sign in pw. But today when i switch on, its...