Windows 10: Cannot activate BitLocker or TPM in my computer running win 10 pro

Discus and support Cannot activate BitLocker or TPM in my computer running win 10 pro in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have tried everything I think, but obviously not. Cannot open TPM, pop up tells me I do not Have at least 1.2. Cannot open Bit locker until I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rdutton007, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Cannot activate BitLocker or TPM in my computer running win 10 pro

I have tried everything I think, but obviously not.
    Cannot open TPM, pop up tells me I do not Have at least 1.2. Cannot open Bit locker until I complete TPM wizard and assign myself as administrator??. then I can open Bit locker and proceed to encrypt my hard drive??
    Is there a download for 1.2++ or is it a hardware addition..
    Bob Dutton*Sad*Sad

:)

rdutton007, Jan 24, 2016

2. Unable to enable BitLocker on Windows 10.

Original title: Win 10 Clean Install Cannot enable Bitlocker

Hi

Trying to do a clean install of Win10 Pro on a new Lenovo M700 Tiny machine. Win 10 OS Build 10586.218, version 1511

Cannot activate Bitlocker. Run thru turning on Bitlocker, saving key backup to USB, encrypt entire drive, using new encryption, select test Bitlocker encryption, reboot, bitlocker fails: "Bitlocker could not be enabled. The Bitlocker Encryption
    key cannot be obtained from the Trusted Platform Module".

Have tried:

• Checked TPM.msc. TPM is recognized, activated, owned etc

• Deactivated TPM in BIOS, rebooted, logged in, verified off in TPM.msc, rebooted, reactivated in BIOS, TPM.msc sees functioning TPM, still fails same error

• Cleared and reactivated TPM using TPM.msc. Same error

• Formatted and reinstalled Win10 3 times. Recreated the Win10 USB install "disk" using the media creation tool for 1 attempt. Same issue each time.

• All Lenovo driver & BIOS updates installed using Thinkvantage Tools. All MS Win 10 updates installed

Any help appreciated

boatasiaus, Jan 24, 2016
  3. Pally023 Win User
    Bitlocker

I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 10Pro. Am trying to enable Bitlocker but it says that the TPM cannot be found and to verify that this computer has 1.2 or later an it is turned on in the BIOS. So, no idea what to do?? It also said "Allow Bitlocker without
    a Compatible TPM" option in the " Required additional authentication at Start-up".

Pally023, Jan 24, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Cannot activate BitLocker or TPM in my computer running win 10 pro

Does the specifications for the computer say it supports TPM?
    Windows Trusted Platform Module Management Step-by-Step Guide

Berton, Jan 24, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
  6. rdutton007, Jan 24, 2016
  7. Looks like I have some work cut out for me.. In the past I was always cut off at the pass by not being able to open Bit Locker --we will try all the options and see how it goes..
    I will get back to you.

rdutton007, Jan 24, 2016
  8. Cannot activate BitLocker or TPM in my computer running win 10 pro

If you have a TPM you probably need to turn it on in the BIOS. If not, there are work-arounds but not worth the hassle in my opinion. If no TPM and you need drive encryption, you might consider VeraCrypt.

wreckwriter, Jan 25, 2016
  9. Thank you for the tip..

rdutton007, Jan 25, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    I use bitlocker without TPM - it isn't a hassle at all I don't think. You just set group policy Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM and then say if you want a password or USB to unlock.

Nice tip about VeraCrpyt - I thought that TrueCrypt project was all dead. It appears though it doesn't work with UEFI yet so isn't any good for me unfortunately. One day hopefully *Smile

11. DavidY Win User
    +1 to that.

I have Bitlocker on my laptop which is too old to have TPM. It only takes a few minutes to change the TPM configuration (as in the Tutorial already linked to).

Once setup, I then have to enter a password every time I start up, but that's the same as it was with Truecrypt and I guess Veracrypt will be similar.

DavidY, Jan 25, 2016
  12. Interesting. i thought a flash drive was required?

wreckwriter, Jan 25, 2016
  13. DavidY Win User

Nope. You can use a flash drive if you want, but I prefer to type in a password.

DavidY, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot activate BitLocker or TPM in my computer running win 10 pro - Similar Threads - Cannot activate BitLocker

2. TPM vs Bitlocker. This device cannot use TPM. Is my TPM or isn't compatible with Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM vs Bitlocker. This device cannot use TPM. Is my TPM or isn't compatible with Windows...: A few details up front, my Windows 10 is able to inform me about TPM status:-TPM Present: True -TPM Version: 2.0 -TPM Manufacturer ID: INTC -TPM Manufacturer Full Name: Intel TpmPresent : True TpmReady : True TpmEnabled : True TpmActivated : True TpmOwned : True...
  3. TPM vs Bitlocker. This device cannot use TPM. Is my TPM or isn't compatible with Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM vs Bitlocker. This device cannot use TPM. Is my TPM or isn't compatible with Windows...: A few details up front, my Windows 10 is able to inform me about TPM status:-TPM Present: True -TPM Version: 2.0 -TPM Manufacturer ID: INTC -TPM Manufacturer Full Name: Intel TpmPresent : True TpmReady : True TpmEnabled : True TpmActivated : True TpmOwned : True...
  4. Can't encrypt system drive with bitlocker - Windows 10 pro and TPM activated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't encrypt system drive with bitlocker - Windows 10 pro and TPM activated: Hello Community,I have a problem I can't solve by myself. Since 2 days, I am trying to encrypt my system C: drive with BitLocker. To clarify, I have a Windows 10 Pro license and my TPM is activated I think. Still, I get an error when trying to encrypt my drive. Windows and...
  5. Cannot activate Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot activate Win 10 Pro: Product key was from Win 7. Used free upgrade to Win 10 years ago. I had problems with activation on my old PC same version of Windows and using a non-genuine product key solved this. A few months ago I changed everything in my PC except the harddrive with Windows on it. Last...
  6. Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro: I installed Windows 10 pro as a VMware Workstation 14 Player Virtual Machine. I tried to activate it using the product key from an OEM Win7 pro DVD I purchased for a pc I built years ago (and then disassembled months ago). That didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks for any...
  7. Need to reset computer that has bitlocker (TPM) activated

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to reset computer that has bitlocker (TPM) activated: We have a computer with Bitlocker (TPM) on it and I use Sophos to track the recovery key. Each time you use the recovery key it resets the key and tells Sophos the new key. We don't have the windows password to log on so we cannot change the boot pin and I need to do a...
  8. Bitlocker with TPM

Bitlocker with TPM: Hi , I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this . Anyway , My query is about encryption on win10 pro . Previously I had a laptop with no TPM so I had to us the group policy editor to allow encryption to work , fine ,all was working and I had to type a password...
  9. Bitlocker - Win 10 - TPM 2.0 - Legacy Mode

Bitlocker - Win 10 - TPM 2.0 - Legacy Mode: Hi all, we are planing the rollout of Windows 10 in our company via SCCM. This will be done to new notebooks from Dell which have TPM 2.0 onboard and we want to use Bitlocker on them. Unfortunately Bitlocker could not be actived on them. On my researches I found out, that we...
  10. Cannot See networked Computers Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot See networked Computers Win 10 Pro: For some reason, I cannot see my networked computers on the network after the Windows 10 anniversary update. I have 4 windows 10 Pro computers on my home network, all was working before the update. Home group network appears to be working. Network Discovery is enabled. Thanks...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. running tpm on my computer