Windows 10: Cannot Activate Win 10 after hardware change

Discus and support Cannot Activate Win 10 after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I change mobo+ram+processor and reinstalled windows from scratch. I logged in with my Microsoft account. I go to the Activation page and theres this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GabrielMuller1, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Cannot Activate Win 10 after hardware change

I change mobo+ram+processor and reinstalled windows from scratch.

I logged in with my Microsoft account.

I go to the Activation page and theres this error: "Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. error code: 0xC004F213

I click Troubleshoot > I changed hardware on this device recently.

After this, theres a screen showing the name of my user in the previous installation the one that was activated! yay, so I check the box "This is the device Im using right now" and click Activate.

After this, there is this error saying Unable to activate Windows. We cant reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

Any ideas? In my previous device it says "To be filled by O.E.M". Is this a problem?

Thanks

:)

GabrielMuller1, Jan 18, 2020
  2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Jan 18, 2020
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 18, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Cannot Activate Win 10 after hardware change

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Cannot Activate Win 10 after hardware change

1. Cannot Activate Win 10 after hardware change - Similar Threads - Cannot Activate hardware

2. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change: I switched my hard drive for one of those new shiny SSDs. Little did I know that MS needs to be informed before such a change. Now windows is no longer activated and won't reactivate through my account. I do I get windows activated again? Nothing I've seen on the web pages...
  3. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change: I switched my hard drive for one of those new shiny SSDs. Little did I know that MS needs to be informed before such a change. Now windows is no longer activated and won't reactivate through my account. I do I get windows activated again? Nothing I've seen on the web pages...
  4. Win 10 Activation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Win 10 activation after hardware change

Win 10 activation after hardware change: What i need to do afer changing motherboard and processor to get rid of error 0xC004F211?I used Troubleshoot tool, but the output was "We werent able to activate Windows on this device", then i pressed "I recently changed hardware on this device" and got that:"Unable to...
  6. Win 10 activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 activation after hardware change: What i need to do afer changing motherboard and processor to get rid of error 0xC004F211?I used Troubleshoot tool, but the output was "We werent able to activate Windows on this device", then i pressed "I recently changed hardware on this device" and got that:"Unable to...
  7. Win 10 activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. win 10 activation after hardware change

win 10 activation after hardware change: Hello, Upgraded my PC for Christmas, everything new, except SSD HD, created a USB repair stick from SSD to load a new larger HD, installed fine but will not activate, originally had win 7 family pack and did the free win 10 upgrade, tried changing the key using the...
  9. Win 10 activation after hardware changes.

Win 10 activation after hardware changes.: I have two Windows 10 Pro machines. One was an HP Pavilion Slimline S3714UK, 4GB RAM, E8400 CPU, Nvidia chipset. The other, an HP DC5800SFF, 8GB RAM, E8400, Intel Q33 chipset. Yesterday, I received an HP 600 Pro SFF machine to replace the DC5800 as main box. The 5800 then...
  10. Cannot activate after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot activate after hardware change: Hi, I've just changed hardware in my PC. I linked my digital license to my Microsoft account last year and verified this before making the hardware change. I also checked in settings and verified that it is linked to my Microsoft account. I've now swapped out my...