Windows 10: Cannot activate Win10 on new PC

Discus and support Cannot activate Win10 on new PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I had PC1 with a Retail version of Win7, that I upgraded to Win8 then to Win10 I recently changed the whole PC (let's call it PC2), and I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MultipleParadox, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Cannot activate Win10 on new PC

Hi

I had PC1 with a Retail version of Win7, that I upgraded to Win8 then to Win10

I recently changed the whole PC (let's call it PC2), and I am retiring/selling PC1 (I intend to completely format it and sell it without any Windows License)

PC1 License key was Linked to my Microsoft Account Prior to PC2 seeing the light of day

I am now trying to activate my Win10 license on PC2 but since the Product ID changed, it won't let me.

PC1 won't boot to windows anymore, for unknown reasons (freezes oat the Win10 Logo)

When I try to activate PC2, it tells me I "don't have a valid digital license or product key"

I am logged to my MS Account on PC2 as well.

When using the Activation TroubleShooter and I select "I recently made a significant hardware change", the PC it lists is not PC2 (I am guessing it shows PC1)

What can I do? I'd definitely would like to avoid having to buy a new License, considering the price... :/

Thanks

O.

:)

MultipleParadox, Oct 31, 2018
  2. JGLTX Win User

Activating Win10 in a new PC

My old PC died. I have built a new one. I installed Win10 with an ISO. I am unable to activate Win10 as the product code I had made a note of is obviously wrong.

Where can I find the old code so I can reactivate on my new PC?

John in Houston

JGLTX, Oct 31, 2018
  3. wishihad Win User
    Activation options for Win10 with instant clones

We have a secure (no internet access) lab environment setup to test and validate a VMWare VDI deployment of Win10 clients.

Our issue is activation of the Win10 clients as they require re-activation every time we logoff and back on because we are using instant clones.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to resolve this? Here are the options we are considering and issues as we understand them:

• Setup a KMS server
      • Requires a Volume license, which is doable
      • Documentation says we must have a minimum of 25 hosts, we don' have that in our lab
    • Use our MSDN account
      • No support for Win10 KMS license
      • No support for MKS activation
    • Manually activate each time
      • Gonna spend a lot of time on the phone Cannot activate Win10 on new PC :(
      • Win10 has no grace period so machines are crippled w/o activation
    Anyone have a thought or suggestions? I'm hoping I missed something.

Thanks

wishihad, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Tim B285 Win User

Cannot activate Win10 on new PC

Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Cannot activate Win10 on new PC

1. Cannot activate Win10 on new PC - Similar Threads - Cannot activate Win10

2. Struggling to Activate Win10 on new build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Struggling to Activate Win10 on new build: I have a purchased key for Win 10 Pro. I have installed win 10 pro on a new PC that I built. I have followed steps to remove my license from my old machine by typing slmgr.vbs -upk and that was successful. On my new PC whenever I use my Win10 Pro key it says it cannot...
  3. Cannot activate Windows 10 Home on new PC

Cannot activate Windows 10 Home on new PC: I recently built a new PC. I've tried activating Windows 10 Home on it to no avail. I purchased Windows 10 Home directly from the Microsoft store in 2018. Everything I've read has said I should be able to transfer the license to this new PC, but I cannot figure out how. I...
  4. Activation on a new PC

Activation on a new PC: Hey everyone, Currently waiting on parts to build a new PC. I have Windows 10 Pro Retail version currently installed on the current PC. My question is how to ensure the current PC's Windows key will be properly deactivated so I can install the same key on a new PC. Is all...
  5. Cannot install Win10 in my PC with a new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot install Win10 in my PC with a new SSD: Hi, I have installed an SSD drive in my PC and I was looking for install windows 10 on it but I find that I cannot run any other device as a boot device except mi older HDD. With the other devices only shows Windows Logo for 1-3 seconds an restarts again the PC. I have...
  6. Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows

Built a new PC, but cannot activate windows: I just built a new computer, and my old one had windows on it. I did not manage to get the product key because i thought it was the product ID which i now know are two separate things, and wiped my drives. My friend used a USB to put windows on this new computer, and it...
  7. Cannot activate Windows 10 on new PC

Cannot activate Windows 10 on new PC: I upgraded from WIndows 8/8.1 Pro as soon as Windows 10 became available. However the PC that I had been using since then recently expired. I have installed Windows 10 Pro on my new PC using install media I created on my old PC, but I cannot activate the software despite...
  8. Win10 activation doesn't see my new PC

Win10 activation doesn't see my new PC: Hi all, So yesterday i installed a windows to my new PC (laptop) and signed in with my microsoft account. My old laptop had win10 on it and licence was linked with microsoft account and i was told when i sign in on new pc it would recognize and i could choose which laptop...
  9. New install of Win10 - cannot Add New User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New install of Win10 - cannot Add New User: I had to give up on Upgrade and instead do a fresh installation. But I am STILL having problems. Cannot add a new user. When I click "Add another person to this PC" absolututely nothing happens. I assume this is not the intended behaviour. Seems to have happened a bit...
  10. BSOD on new PC (Win10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on new PC (Win10): Hello, i get my new PC three days ago and since yesterday i get a few BSOD. I have installed some mainboard drivers (direct downloaded from Asus for win10) and the latest driver by amd for my GPU. I installed the game GTA 5 and tryed to get my ps3-gamepads to work with...