Windows 10: Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change

Discus and support Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I've read extensively before making a thread here. My motherboard went kaput the other day. I re-installed windows on my hard drive after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ad1tyapathak, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change

Hello,

I've read extensively before making a thread here. My motherboard went kaput the other day. I re-installed windows on my hard drive after backup.

Unable to activate windows. I tried the "troubleshoot" from Settings menu. After clicking on "I recently changed my hardware" it show only one computer which is the old one. The new computer in which I've signed in using MS account does not show up in the above window.

However both computers old and new can be seen under "Devices" in MS Account.

Both devices shown in MS Account.

Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change e5c9cc4d-1d90-4684-8460-1eadb560a990?upload=true.jpg

The other computer not showing up in the re-activation window.

Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change 4c198dbc-b0ef-4212-8335-7749166adcb1?upload=true.jpg

Thank you.

:)

ad1tyapathak, Nov 13, 2018

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Nov 13, 2018
  4. Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change

1. Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change - Similar Threads - Cannot Activate Motherboard

2. Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard: In late 2018, I bought Windows license at Microsoft Store. This license was not bought with computer.Since that I've been doing sompe upgrades time to time. I bought new CPU, add some RAM. A few days ago I made an upgrade a new motherboard and now I can't activate my copy of...
  3. Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard: In late 2018, I bought Windows license at Microsoft Store. This license was not bought with computer.Since that I've been doing sompe upgrades time to time. I bought new CPU, add some RAM. A few days ago I made an upgrade a new motherboard and now I can't activate my copy of...
  4. Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional 0xC004F211 after motherboard change

Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional 0xC004F211 after motherboard change: Hello,I changed my motherboard in my PC last night, all other pieces of hardware remain the same, and am now getting the above error code in Windows Activation. I bought my license from the Microsoft Store, IE Digital license which is retail?, I do not have a license key I...
  6. Cannot activate Windows after motherboard change

Cannot activate Windows after motherboard change: Dear Community, The motherboard of my Lenovo laptop was just changed due to hardware failure. Now I am getting "Activate Windows" message on my desktop. I have an active Windows 10 Business subscription but I am not able to active Windows. Running the troubleshoot...
  7. Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard

Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard: So I changed motherboard and it says that I need to reactivate Windows, I log in to my Microsoft account (i got windows 10 free from a windows 7 upgrade a while ago) I let Windows diagnose the problem, they say that there has been a report of hardware change, I press the...
  8. Windows 10 Activation After Motherboard Change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Activation After Motherboard Change: I have installed a new motherboard on my PC and now Windows 10 says it is not activated. I got to settings>Update&Security>Activation I get error code 0xC004C060 I troubleshoot and get the message "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device" I click "Change...
  9. Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional after change of motherboard

Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional after change of motherboard: Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional after change of motherboard and hardware. Cannot find my existing device in 'Troubleshooting'. I have erroneously deleted my old machine which was linked to the Microsoft account. Could anyone please help?...
  10. Windows cannot activate after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot activate after motherboard change: Split from this thread. hi i am having the revers problem, i got my pc back from the shop with a new motherboard, and my windows wouldent activate, it was a didgital upgtade from win 8 years ago, but now it says its win 10 pro, i bought win home online from windows shop,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot activate windows 10 after change of motherboard

2. cannot activate windows after motherboard change

3. nu vot

4. cannot activate after change motherboard,
  5. cannot activate windows 10 after changing motherboard