Windows 10: Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine

Discus and support Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Swapped my motherboard and PSU after a power supply failure.Now I can't activate my copy of Windows. Never had an issue like this before. I've used my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Peacemillion, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine

Swapped my motherboard and PSU after a power supply failure.Now I can't activate my copy of Windows. Never had an issue like this before. I've used my digital license properly and it's worked fine.I've tried every solution I can find with the Activation troubleshooter and the "I changed hardware on this device recently" exception. Most solutions I've seen say to call customer support which is no longer possible.I do have the product key that I purchased directly from MS for Windows 8 which was then upgraded to Windows 10 for free.Anything else I can do at this point?

:)

Peacemillion, Jan 13, 2022
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 13, 2022
  3. qubit Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

This kinda sucks. However, if one is upgrading from a retail W7/8, then it should activate on different hardware, with possible phone activation required if it's been over 120 days or whatever the timeout period is now since the last activation. Remember to erase the copy on the old hardware, of course.

qubit, Jan 13, 2022
  4. Kari Win User

Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

Thema:

Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine

1. Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine - Similar Threads - Cannot Activate Rebuilt

2. OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine: I am running a virtual PC on my Mac Mini using Parallels. I purchased a WIndows 10 Pro OEM activation key which has worked perfectly for over a year. The virtual machine crashed and I needed to rebuild it. I now can’t active the same key that I have been using up to now. I...
  3. OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine: I am running a virtual PC on my Mac Mini using Parallels. I purchased a WIndows 10 Pro OEM activation key which has worked perfectly for over a year. The virtual machine crashed and I needed to rebuild it. I now can’t active the same key that I have been using up to now. I...
  4. OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine

Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine: Swapped my motherboard and PSU after a power supply failure.Now I can't activate my copy of Windows. Never had an issue like this before. I've used my digital license properly and it's worked fine.I've tried every solution I can find with the Activation troubleshooter and the...
  6. Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Activate Windows 10 on Rebuilt Machine: Swapped my motherboard and PSU after a power supply failure.Now I can't activate my copy of Windows. Never had an issue like this before. I've used my digital license properly and it's worked fine.I've tried every solution I can find with the Activation troubleshooter and the...
  7. Activate Windows 10 on virtual machine

Activate Windows 10 on virtual machine: I have recently installed windows 10 on VirtualBox on my genuine licensed windows 10 home edition, The virtual machine says that the windows 10 I have downloaded does not have a license key for the home edition, am I not understanding how to overcome this, and I don't want to...
  8. Windows 10 Activation in Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Activation in Virtual Machine: Hi, I have a windows 10 pro running on my desktop and would like to do some experiments on it in a virtual environment. Is it possible to use the same activation key for a second time in my virtual environment? It will be running on the same host machine as the already...
  9. Activate Windows.10 on new machine

Activate Windows.10 on new machine: My window machine totally not functioning. I get another machine and hoping to activate Windows using the faulty machine Windows product code which is Windows 8 pro upgraded to Windows 10. However, i can't get it activated on the new machine. I contacted mircosoft customer...
  10. activating w10 on rebuilt PC

activating w10 on rebuilt PC: new (W10) PC won't activate W10 when I use my W7 code from my old PC . Should it? What do I have to do please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activating-w10-on-rebuilt-pc/a941f149-9b9b-4880-9326-b9f725a0c9b0"