Windows 10: Cannot activate windows, got key from upgrading from windows 7 when it first was a choice,...

Discus and support Cannot activate windows, got key from upgrading from windows 7 when it first was a choice,... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I got my copy of windows 10 via the windows 7 upgrade process and used it for some timeThis was back when it was first offered. I did create a install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Djhorn18, May 14, 2020.

1. Djhorn18 Win User

Cannot activate windows, got key from upgrading from windows 7 when it first was a choice,...

I got my copy of windows 10 via the windows 7 upgrade process and used it for some timeThis was back when it was first offered. I did create a install disc back then and wrote the activation code on the disc. My computer died, and I did not use it for some time. A while ago I removed the dead computer from 'my devices' in account info.

I recently built a new computer, I did not use the many years old install disc but used my parents computer to create a usb boot discI have no disc drive in this new one, and during the install process tried to put the product key I had written onto the disc those many years ago, but it did not work. I figured, alright, I'll just sign into my account and it will register my account as having the key as its digital, and it will activate then. But no such luck. I've run the troubleshooter and all the other various tips the digital helper gives, but it says no key can be found associated with my account. Did I shoot myself in the foot by removing my dead computer from my list of devices on the account? Or is there some way I can get it to recognize I already have a valid license.

I had upgraded from windows 7 ultimate or whatever it was called, so I assumed that it would be Windows 10 pro I should be installing on the computer.

Thank you.

:)

Djhorn18, May 14, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, May 14, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    activate windows 7 oem key

There is no difference between the OEM disc and the Retail disc with Windows 7. A retail disc will accept a OEM or Retail key, and vise versa.

If the OEM Key wasn't going to work with the disc you have, it would have stopped you during the install when it first asked you for the key, not during activation.

What is likely the problem is that, since the OEM version has already been activated once, it is failing activation again. Activate it over the phone using the option given to you on the failed activation screen, and you shouldn't have a problem activating it.

newtekie1, May 14, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

Cannot activate windows, got key from upgrading from windows 7 when it first was a choice,...

activate windows 7 oem key

You cannot activate a retail version of Windows with an OEM key.
    The retail version should have it's own activation key.
    If you just borrowed the Win DVD from someone who is using the key, that won't work with your OEM (OA) key.

pwned by newtekie. lol My bad.
    It does work in Vista and 7, just not in XP.

Have you looked on the ASUS website to see if you can re-download the driver/diag disk, or at least everything you need to make one?

Kreij, May 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot activate windows, got key from upgrading from windows 7 when it first was a choice,... - Similar Threads - Cannot activate got

2. I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded...: Hello sir/madams, I have upgraded windows 10 from windows 7 for the free from official site of microsoft. My windows 7 was activated but when I upgraded to windows 10 it asks for activation. I can't even personalize my computer. I try to follow the steps it tells me but I...
  3. Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key: I have a computer that originally had Windows 7 retail installed which was activated from a product key. It was upgraded to windows 10 which if I understand correctly is automatically activated with a digital license during the upgrade.I plan to make a significant hardware...
  4. Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key: I have a computer that originally had Windows 7 retail installed which was activated from a product key. It was upgraded to windows 10 which if I understand correctly is automatically activated with a digital license during the upgrade.I plan to make a significant hardware...
  5. Reactivating WIndows 10 when it was upgraded from Windows 7 with a Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 Key from a windows 7 upgrade

Windows 10 Key from a windows 7 upgrade: Hello, I installed windows 10 on my computer using a windows 7 pro key that I had, but I lost the picture of the windows 7 key, my windows 10 is linked to my account actually I have 1 computer and 2 notebooks linked, is there a way to recover this windows 7 key inside...
  7. Cannot activate my Windows 10 upgrading from Windows 7

Cannot activate my Windows 10 upgrading from Windows 7: I bought a refurbished Lenovo PC years ago, and last week I bought a new solid driver for it and changed the old driver to install Windows 10 using a DVD with Windows 10 190619. When Windows 10 was ready, I began to download software and today I got the warning "Go to...
  8. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!: Hi, A couple of months ago I decided to finally upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I didn't do a clean install, I just went through the upgrade process. Everything went smoothly, and I've been loving everything about windows 10 since then, but today it started to...
  9. Cannot upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10!: Hey all, I'm new to the forums and came across here as I was searching for a fix for my issue I am having. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10, which I have done before on this machine but had to format my SSD and reinstall Win7. Now since doing that for the past 3-4...
  10. Upgrade from windows 7 - Activation piece

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from windows 7 - Activation piece: Hello folks, I plan to upgrade to windows 10 from Windows 7 Home premium. My Windows 7 installation got corrupted and gave constant BSOD that I could not really work. I tried system restore but as per Murphy's law, nothing is going smooth. I have been trying for 2 days and...