Windows 10: cannot add a drive in indexing option

Discus and support cannot add a drive in indexing option in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; any idea how to add my D drive into indexing location, [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ammar Akkad, Apr 8, 2020.

1. cannot add a drive in indexing option

any idea how to add my D drive into indexing location,

cannot add a drive in indexing option 7032ea39-ddd8-4d64-a5ca-7bb04f9cde5c?upload=true.jpg

:)

Ammar Akkad, Apr 8, 2020
  2. David Haz Win User

Unable to make changes in Indexing Options

Hello,

We suggest to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter and check if it helps with the indexing issue you are experiencing.

Here's how you may run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting, and then click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Tell us how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Apr 8, 2020
  3. Can't find my main hard drive on Indexing Options

Hi JoshuaSay,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC?
    2. Have you installed all pending updates on the computer?
    3. Does this issue occur on a different user account also?

This issue can occur if some of the system files are not working as expected.

Let us follow these steps one by one to check if that helps.

Step A: Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press “Windows key + X”, and click on Search.
    2. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    3. Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    4. Select “Search and Indexing”.
    Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter. Once this is done, close the services window and try to rebuild the Indexing on the PC.

Step B: Suggest you to check if the Windows Search Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the Windows Search again:

1. Press Windows key +R keys to open Run. Type “services.msc” without quotes and hit Enter.
    2. From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service and Windows Search Service.
    3. Right click on the Windows Search Service and then click on Properties.
    4. Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the Startup type to Automatic. Once this is done, close the services window and try to rebuild the Indexing on the PC.

Step C: Suggest you to run the
    SFC utility tool
    , restart the computer and check if that helps. System File Checker is a utility in Windows 10
    that checks for system file corruption. Further, if need be, then you may also run the DISM restore health command to check if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking 'Yes' or 'No'.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Apr 8, 2020
  4. Dalmango Win User

cannot add a drive in indexing option

Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

cannot add a drive in indexing option

1. cannot add a drive in indexing option - Similar Threads - cannot add drive

2. List of drives to be indexed is not created correctly, cannot generate indexing properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    List of drives to be indexed is not created correctly, cannot generate indexing properly: I use windows 10I have multiple drives. When I try to re-index, ticked drives are not displayed correctly in the index list. If I tick C, D will appear in the index list. etc In the "serach" mask, I cannot delete several drives from the "folders to be excluded" list. How can...
  3. Indexing options

Indexing options: how to reset the index settings back to factory default? In the modifying section, I have selected all the folders which give me more than the required results all the time. I am not asking how to rebuild it, but to reset only indexes. Please provide a solution. Try...
  4. Indexing options unable to add drives mounted on other drives

in Cortana
    Indexing options unable to add drives mounted on other drives: I mount a read-only nas inside of E:\ to keep media separated from my software. After I decided to make my searchui.exe feel more comfortable with my installation I noticed I couldn't add these devices to the indexed locations, but if I indexed a subfolder I could search it...
  5. Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library

Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library: Hello All not sure if this is the correct location to post this question. I have added indexed network shares to win 7/8 in the past (same domain) and it worked and allow searching to be done against the servers index that's host the network share. But I cant seem to get it...
  6. Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...

Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...: Hello, I am running into an issue with a few of our windows 10 computers. When they are trying to search a network drive, the search take a very long time (some times does not even search) to search and even if it does search, it is not getting everything I need. I can be...
  7. Indexing Options removed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexing Options removed: I have been using Windows Index search for years. I have all my data in one directory on my D:\. I have set the indexing options to include this location and some others. Recently Windows has been dropping my selections and reverting to the default locations. I have reset my...
  8. Windows 10 Indexing Options Drive Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Indexing Options Drive Missing: I recently installed Windows 10 on a computer containing 3 internal and 8 external hard drives. Although all the drives show up in Disk Management and File Explorer, one of the internal drives isn't listed under "Indexing Options" so I can't get the files indexed. Since I...
  9. Indexing Options internals

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing Options internals: Dear friends hallo, One day I noticed that the processes responsible for indexing were taking up too much process power. I noticed that this happened because I transferred my e-book collection to my PC. Windows was trying to index the contents of these massive pdf files....
  10. Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options: Hi. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to get my E drive indexed for searching purposes. As you can see from the pic, it’s just not ‘addable’… I have an SSD dedicated to the OS and two HDDs (E and F). I recently had a problem with some files on the E drive in that I was...