Windows 10: Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options

Discus and support Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to get my E drive indexed for searching purposes. As you can see from the pic, it’s just not ‘addable’… I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dortmunder, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options

Hi. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to get my E drive indexed for searching purposes. As you can see from the pic, it’s just not ‘addable’…

I have an SSD dedicated to the OS and two HDDs (E and F). I recently had a problem with some files on the E drive in that I was denied permission to change their details so I changed the ownership/permissions. However, both E and F now have the same Owner/Permissions settings so it can’t be that (can it…).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

dortmunder, Apr 26, 2017

2. Indexing in Windows 10

Open Indexing Options > Modify > Show all locations > Add other drives or folders on other drives.

RobertJWin, Apr 26, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Added d drive but can't search for files on it

Enter "index" in the Cortana search bar. Select "Indexing options." From there you can add the D: drive to file indexing, which should cause files there to appear in searches.

JimWynne, Apr 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options

Hi, have you tried deleting and rebuilding the search index since changing the permissions?
    And have you run the search indexing troubleshooter?

Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options [​IMG]

Yo could also try this program:

running the appropriate repair on your drive.

Also you could try running chkdsk on it.

dalchina, Apr 26, 2017
  5. Yes (rebuild) and Yes (troubleshooter) - both had no effect. I'm currently running chkdsk E: /f /r /x which means a wait of 6 hours...

dortmunder, Apr 26, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Worst case - which might be quicker- copy the data off, reformat the drive and copy it back.

Have you actually checked the drive is good? E.g. Crystal Diskinfo (free) - SMART params - or sometimes better Hard Disk Sentinel (trial).

dalchina, Apr 26, 2017
  7. Properties/Tools/error checking immediately said it saw no problems. I'll wait for chkdsk to finish and then see what's what, I think. I'm sure the disk is good, too much of a coincidence for it to go just after I've clean installed Win10...

dortmunder, Apr 26, 2017
  8. Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options

Twelve hours that took... No errors found. A reboot later and my situation is the same. Apart from the copy off/reformat/copy back suggestion (which I'll delay for now) is there anything else I might do? Thanks.

dortmunder, Apr 26, 2017
  9. AndreTen Win User
    It's a long shot, but you could try to rebuild MBR on that drive... I'm using Minitool partition wizzard for such tasks. It's free for home use.

AndreTen, Apr 26, 2017
  10. I forgot to mention that I ran Tweaking.com – Windows Repair as suggested above. It had no effect.

Hi AndreTen and thanks for the tip. I haven’t run the wizard yet as I’ve noticed something (possibly) interesting. When I did my clean-install a week ago, I unplugged the E & F drives and took the opportunity to do a UEFI install. I knew that this would change the C drive from MBR to GPT but look at the pic – my 4TB E drive is also GPT. I suppose it must always have been like that as I’ve never touched it.

Could this be a clue as to why it’s not indexing? Seems unlikely to me as it’s never given me an indexing problem before.

My continued thanks.

dortmunder, Apr 26, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 26, 2017
  12. OK, thanks. Is that partition wizard of any use to me then? If not, what else might I try?

dortmunder, Apr 26, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 26, 2017
  14. AndreTen Win User
    Sorry, guess not.

AndreTen, Apr 27, 2017
  15. AndreTen Win User
    One thing came out of some searching (two actually, but one of them is a bit risky..)

You can delete Indexer VolumeGuid file on affected drive. System will rebuild it.
    from admin command prompt type

Idea came from MS forums. It's not exactly the same problem thou ...
    Making backup of that disk is recommended anyway. I usually recommend Macrium. Making image and restoring it is also faster than copying files.. This could be solution, if nothing else works

AndreTen, Apr 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options - Similar Threads - Cannot add Drive

2. List of drives to be indexed is not created correctly, cannot generate indexing properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    List of drives to be indexed is not created correctly, cannot generate indexing properly: I use windows 10I have multiple drives. When I try to re-index, ticked drives are not displayed correctly in the index list. If I tick C, D will appear in the index list. etc In the "serach" mask, I cannot delete several drives from the "folders to be excluded" list. How can...
  3. Indexing options

Indexing options: how to reset the index settings back to factory default? In the modifying section, I have selected all the folders which give me more than the required results all the time. I am not asking how to rebuild it, but to reset only indexes. Please provide a solution. Try...
  4. Indexing options unable to add drives mounted on other drives

in Cortana
    Indexing options unable to add drives mounted on other drives: I mount a read-only nas inside of E:\ to keep media separated from my software. After I decided to make my searchui.exe feel more comfortable with my installation I noticed I couldn't add these devices to the indexed locations, but if I indexed a subfolder I could search it...
  5. cannot add a drive in indexing option

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot add a drive in indexing option: any idea how to add my D drive into indexing location, [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-add-a-drive-in-indexing-option/b5c3ea86-2561-4783-8ec6-a8a76528c1ef
  6. Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library

Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library: Hello All not sure if this is the correct location to post this question. I have added indexed network shares to win 7/8 in the past (same domain) and it worked and allow searching to be done against the servers index that's host the network share. But I cant seem to get it...
  7. Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...

Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...: Hello, I am running into an issue with a few of our windows 10 computers. When they are trying to search a network drive, the search take a very long time (some times does not even search) to search and even if it does search, it is not getting everything I need. I can be...
  8. Indexing Options removed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexing Options removed: I have been using Windows Index search for years. I have all my data in one directory on my D:\. I have set the indexing options to include this location and some others. Recently Windows has been dropping my selections and reverting to the default locations. I have reset my...
  9. Windows 10 Indexing Options Drive Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Indexing Options Drive Missing: I recently installed Windows 10 on a computer containing 3 internal and 8 external hard drives. Although all the drives show up in Disk Management and File Explorer, one of the internal drives isn't listed under "Indexing Options" so I can't get the files indexed. Since I...
  10. Indexing Options internals

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing Options internals: Dear friends hallo, One day I noticed that the processes responsible for indexing were taking up too much process power. I noticed that this happened because I transferred my e-book collection to my PC. Windows was trying to index the contents of these massive pdf files....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant add mapped drive to indexing