Windows 10: cannot add a second logical partition

Discus and support cannot add a second logical partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I updated to a 500gig ssd drive and did an image restore. It had 4 primary partitions and some unused space, like so, primary hidden system partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rocket777, Apr 5, 2019.

1. rocket777 Win User

cannot add a second logical partition

I updated to a 500gig ssd drive and did an image restore. It had 4 primary partitions and some unused space, like so,

primary hidden system partition 75 mb
    primary c (142 gb)
    primary d (90 gb)
    primary e (127 gb)
    <approx 100 gig unallocated space)

I wanted to add another partition, but as I understand it, you cannot have more than 4 primary partitions on a drive.

So, I copied the e drive files to a backup drive, and then deleted it. It's the last partition. I then created a logical partiton and copied back the e drive files.

so I then had,

primary hidden system partition 75 mb
    primary c (142 gb)
    primary d (90 gb)
    logical e (127 gb)
    <approx 100 gig unallocated space)

I thought you could have as the last partition a logical partition and then inside it have several partitions, to get around the 4 partition limit.

I used the free partition tool from easeus. But it would not permit another logical partition. I also tried using disk management, but it too would not allow another paritition. Easeus would let me do the actions, but on the apply it would get an error.

On my older systems, I've been able to do this (on xp for example). Did I do something wrong here? Is there a way to do this within windows 10 or using a partition manager tool?

:)

rocket777, Apr 5, 2019

2. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

cannot add a second logical partition partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Apr 5, 2019
  3. Second partition become logical drive FAT 32

Hello,

Windows 7 (home basic)

Since one year ago my computer partition become logical drive and I am not able to create folder, copy files etc. I am also not able to perform check disc for this drive. The data on this drive is accessible. I am also unable to perform disc defragment
    tool on this drive. Please provide me any best suggestion for this.

Ganesh_Gan, Apr 5, 2019
  4. lacrumb Win User

Logical Partition Error

I have a 500GB gpt drive where I have 9 partitions.

Your problem may be that Disk Management will not do it.

That's why I suggest EaseUS Partition Manager Free.

You can go to the end of a partition that is shown at the bottom and after clicking on it when you see an icon that has 2 vertical lines in the middle and 2 arrows in opposite directions you hold down the mouse key and drag to the left to reduce the size
    of the partition. Then you can click in the un-allocated space and move it to the end of another partition and then click on the partition and go to the end and get the first icon and drag to the end of the un-allocated space and ti increases the size of
    the partition.

I apply each of the steps so I can see what has happened.

lacrumb, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

1. cannot add a second logical partition - Similar Threads - cannot add second

2. Installing windows on a logical partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows on a logical partition: Hello Microsoft community,I recently wanted to dualboot Windows Vista and Linux on my old Linux computer. When I got the ISO file and flashed it to a USB drive, went through a regular Windows Vista installation process all the drives were detected by setup and opted to...
  3. Installing windows on a logical partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows on a logical partition: Hello Microsoft community,I recently wanted to dualboot Windows Vista and Linux on my old Linux computer. When I got the ISO file and flashed it to a USB drive, went through a regular Windows Vista installation process all the drives were detected by setup and opting to...
  4. Recover Deleted Logical Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Deleted Logical Partition: After installing the SSD hard drive in my laptop and installing new Windows 10 21h1 version in it, I added the empty space in the HDD, which was unallocated, to one of the partitions in HDD, and HDD became a dynamic diskto convert dynamic to basic, I shrink the partition that...
  5. Recover Deleted Logical Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover Deleted Logical Partition: After installing the SSD hard drive in my laptop and installing new Windows 10 21h1 version in it, I added the empty space in the HDD, which was unallocated, to one of the partitions in HDD, and HDD became a dynamic diskto convert dynamic to basic, I shrink the partition that...
  6. Recover Deleted Logical Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?

Would Logical partition fail if the primary partition fails?: Hello, I have my HDD now in MBR format and I tried to convert it to GPT but mbr2gpt didn't work, I get fail to validate disk every time and hence can't convert to GPT. It's OK, but now I divided my HDD into 5 partitions just for more sense to category of files, each in a...
  8. cannot add a second logical partition

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot add a second logical partition: I updated to a 500gig ssd drive and did an image restore. It had 4 primary partitions and some unused space, like so, primary hidden system partition 75 mb primary c (142 gb) primary d (90 gb) primary e (127 gb) <approx 100 gig unallocated space) I wanted to add another...
  9. Cannot add a second onedrive account

Cannot add a second onedrive account: I tried to add another onedrive account via settings-->account tab-->add an account, but after I enter the email address for the second account, it comes up with a notice telling me to "you're already syncing a personal OneDrive on this computer. Unlink that account to add a...
  10. How to convert primary partitions to logical partition

in Windows 10 Support
    How to convert primary partitions to logical partition: I have four primary partitions (System, C: , D: , E: ) and some free space in my Win10 laptop. Now, I want to make create an extended partition which will hold C, D & E as logical partition. How can I do it without loosing data (i don't have a spare hard disk where I can...