Windows 10: Cannot add account to mail app because of PIN requirement

Discus and support Cannot add account to mail app because of PIN requirement in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Mail is asking for a PIN in order to add an additional outlook account to the app. This account has never been a device account, just a secondary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by myonlineshopper, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Cannot add account to mail app because of PIN requirement

Mail is asking for a PIN in order to add an additional outlook account to the app.

This account has never been a device account, just a secondary mail I use so there is no PIN associated with the account.

How do I add it to the mail app?

Thank you for any and all help.

:)

myonlineshopper, Jun 29, 2020
  2. JJG10 Win User

Cannot Add Account to Win 10 Mail App

I am logged in to my Microsoft Account and am trying to add an email account to the Mail app by following Brink's tutorial Mail app - Add or Delete Account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. When I get to step 9 and enter an email address and password, I get a message saying "We couldn't find info for that account. .....". This happens for each account on my ISP, Cox.net.

There is one email account shown by Mail and it is the same address I use to log into my MS Account.

Will someone please show my how to get beyond this point?

Thank you very much.

JJG10, Jun 29, 2020
  3. philc43 Win User
    Cannot open mail app settings

OK, my next suggestion was going to be uninstalling Mail and Calendar and reinstalling from the Windows Store. You can have a go at this by following these steps.

1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell.
    2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    3. Enter the below command to remove the Mail and calendar app.

get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, install the Mail and calendar app from the Windows Store.

Hope this helps, you will, of course, have to add you accounts back again.

philc43, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Cannot add account to mail app because of PIN requirement

Asks for PIN when adding a different hotmail account to the mail app

Are you sure now you are not mixing the password and the PIN? I checked my previous post and the information told in it is both accurate and valid.

To put it very short: if you sign in to windows using an MS account Email1@OutlookOrHotmailOrLive.com, and you want to add Email2@OutlookOrHotmailOrLive.com to the Mail app, the PIN asked is the PIN (not the password) for the Email1@OutlookOrHotmailOrLive.com, your current Windows sign-in account.

Below a live example with screenshots.

By default a Windows user account has no PIN. It needs to be set up, either when installing Windows or later on if skipped when installing. When set, the PIN for the Windows 10 sign-in is four or more digits long, as the user prefers. In your case if it auto enters after 4 digits, you have a 4 digit PIN. I use a 5 digit PIN, in my case when I add a new Microsoft email account to mail app it auto enters after the 5th digit.

Here's how it works:

My Windows sign-in MS account L: @abcdefgh.com is already automatically added to Mail app, later on I have added a second MS account. Now adding a new account L: larry.laffer@abcdefgh.com, I enter this new account's credentials normally:

Cannot add account to mail app because of PIN requirement [​IMG]

When added, the account tells Attention Required. Clicking the account I get the option Fix account selecting it:

The next dialog is a bit confusing. It asks me to verify that the L: larry.laffer@abcdefgh.com is mine by asking the current Windows 10 sign-in accounts PIN, that of L: @abcdefgh.com

I enter my Windows sign-in 5 digit PIN for the user account L: @abcdefgh.com, the account I am currently using to sign in to Windows, and now the L: larry.laffer@abcdefgh.com will finally be added to the mail app.

If you are not sure which PIN you have set up, if you have forgot it, go to your account settings and change it. Notice that if you have forgotten the PIN, you need first to remove it, then set a new one. Changing the PIN will first ask the old PIN which of course if you have forgotten it you cannot enter.

Thema:

Cannot add account to mail app because of PIN requirement

1. Cannot add account to mail app because of PIN requirement - Similar Threads - Cannot add account

2. Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?: [ Had to recreate my question as I had not replied to the response in time ]Hi,I recently performed a clean reset of my Windows 10 installation. I am now facing an annoyance where on login it asks for my account PIN rather than a password.However I do not have a PIN setup on...
  3. Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?: [ Had to recreate my question as I had not replied to the response in time ]Hi,I recently performed a clean reset of my Windows 10 installation. I am now facing an annoyance where on login it asks for my account PIN rather than a password.However I do not have a PIN setup on...
  4. Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?: Hi,I recently performed a clean reset of my Windows 10 installation. I am now facing an annoyance where on login it asks for my account PIN rather than a password. However I do not have a PIN setup on my account.When I go to Settings -> Sign-in options -> Windows Hello PIN, I...
  6. Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?

Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?: Hi,I recently performed a clean reset of my Windows 10 installation. I am now facing an annoyance where on login it asks for my account PIN rather than a password. However I do not have a PIN setup on my account.When I go to Settings -> Sign-in options -> Windows Hello PIN, I...
  7. Unable to add PIN from account... because it requires my PIN?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. app Mail cannot add Gmail account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    app Mail cannot add Gmail account: Hello, I have a problem with my app Mail, it cannot add a Gmail account. I tried to reset its setting, uninstall and reinstall it but it doesn't seem to work. But I can log in to my outlook app? The error code is 0x80080490 we couldn't find your settings. Can you help me fix...
  9. cannot add gmail account to mail app

cannot add gmail account to mail app: Whenever i try to add my gmail account it gives me this error message "Something went wrong, we couldn't find your settings, Error code : 0x80070490." I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mail app but it doesn't help....
  10. Require Pin to add account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Require Pin to add account: I have just created a new outlook account and I have just installed outlook. When trying to log-in it asks me for my windows pin. But I haven't set up a windows pin yet. The internet is telling me to go to accounts and settings on my computer but that has my partner's account...