Windows 10: Cannot add device to Microsoft account as serial number not recognised

Discus and support Cannot add device to Microsoft account as serial number not recognised in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Bought a new laptop today and tried to add the device to my microsoft account. Entered the serial number but its not recognised. Serial number is... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by RedRoseVE, Jan 11, 2021.

1. RedRoseVE Win User

Cannot add device to Microsoft account as serial number not recognised

Bought a new laptop today and tried to add the device to my microsoft account. Entered the serial number but its not recognised. Serial number is definitely correct as copied from device. Any ideas?

:)

RedRoseVE, Jan 11, 2021

2. Windows 10 serial number lost after format, but it was synced to my microsoft account

Hello everyone.

I have a laptop with Windows 10, it was activated and logged into my microsoft account - therefore, as I understand it, its serial number was synced to my microsoft account, correct? - And it was formatted two times in a row, the second one being Windows
    10 Home.

I then logged in to my account in the newly formatted windows, and everything was fine until it started popping me up for activation.

It was indeed not activated, which was strange - from the moment I logged into my account, wasn't it supposed to sync the serial number that was linked in my account?

I then logged into my account on the web and went into the "Devices" tab, and indeed there was only the current install listed. Why haven't it synced? Have I lost my serial number after the format, even though there was no hardware change?

GabrielRomero3, Jan 11, 2021
  3. Stolen laptop Serial Stored in Microsoft account

hello

The laptop of my colleag has been stoled today,

On the microsoft account website, the serial number is stored on device tab.

Sign in to your Microsoft account

So there is a link between windows 10 and the laptop serial number.

One day another user will install windows 10 on it and the serial number will be assosciate to the new person.

Can Microsoft can help to find the computer as the serial number is known?

Kind regards,

P.

Phil László, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Cannot add device to Microsoft account as serial number not recognised

Serial number

The serial number should be on a sticker somewhere on the desktop.

You can also go into the BIOS to find the serial number.

This link has the info, it says laptop, but should be the same steps:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00034791

tamara_sadel, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Cannot add device to Microsoft account as serial number not recognised

1. Cannot add device to Microsoft account as serial number not recognised - Similar Threads - Cannot add device

2. Lenovo serial number not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo serial number not recognised: I am trying to add a Lenovo laptop to my 365 account and the serial number is not recognised It is a normal laptop not a surface pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-serial-number-not-recognised/4ed736f5-1e11-437d-b8bc-32d7a09d2fd7
  3. Lenovo serial number not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo serial number not recognised: I am trying to add a Lenovo laptop to my 365 account and the serial number is not recognised It is a normal laptop not a surface pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-serial-number-not-recognised/4ed736f5-1e11-437d-b8bc-32d7a09d2fd7
  4. I cannot log my MacBook Pro as the device it is not recognising the serial number but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot log my MacBook Pro as the device it is not recognising the serial number but...: My Mac book Pro is not recognised as the device I am using I cannot see previous devices could they be wiped from the system so I can log on with my new. computer....
  5. I cannot log my MacBook Pro as the device it is not recognising the serial number but...

I cannot log my MacBook Pro as the device it is not recognising the serial number but...: My Mac book Pro is not recognised as the device I am using I cannot see previous devices could they be wiped from the system so I can log on with my new. computer....
  6. I cannot log my MacBook Pro as the device it is not recognising the serial number but...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Microsoft serial number cannot be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft serial number cannot be found: My serial number cannot be found. I am typing in the correct number and I have talked to Microsoft "support" numerous times and it’s just a robot. I would like to talk to an ACTUAL person. I paid 1,300 and I’m still currently paying it off would love if someone could help. I...
  8. Microsoft serial number cannot be found

Microsoft serial number cannot be found: My serial number cannot be found. I am typing in the correct number and I have talked to Microsoft "support" numerous times and it’s just a robot. I would like to talk to an ACTUAL person. I paid 1,300 and I’m still currently paying it off would love if someone could help. I...
  9. Microsoft serial number cannot be found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Trying to add device, Doesn't recognize my serial number.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to add device, Doesn't recognize my serial number.: I purchased MineCraft and it will not allow to download saying no applicable devices linked to my account. the shortcut the provided was to old and gave me an error page when clicked. So i looked it up online the said to link my PC to that account, I tried to put the serial...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can i register my device on microsoft when i dont have serial number

2. I CANT REGISTER MY LAPTOP THROUGH MICROSOFT STORE SERIAL NUMBER NOT RECOGNISED

3. Recognize serial