Windows 10: Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection

Discus and support Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all, Three months ago I bought a brand new Dell XPS 15 9500, as it proved to be among the most reliable and powerful mid- to high-end machines on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Federico Minutoli, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection

Hi all,

Three months ago I bought a brand new Dell XPS 15 9500, as it proved to be among the most reliable and powerful mid- to high-end machines on the market for an AI student like myself, with the occasional ability to run powerful models thanks to its GPU. Now, it has 32 GBs of RAM and all the other cool stuff, but ever since I bought it I have been noticing that from time to time it has some rather noticeable slowdowns which make it nearly impossible to use until itallows me to. After browsing around in the Community forums and monitoring the Task Manager activities, I found out that the Antimalware Service Executable has some tremendous peaks in RAM consumption when I try to open files, which make the laptop run so sluggish, which in turn I found out to be related to the real-time monitoring that Windows Defender performs regularly on files before I can access them.

I've looked into many different solutions proposed on the Community website, and the most quoted answers apart from disabling Defender real-time protection altogether, which I don't really fancy seem to be the ones suggesting to put Defender's own folder among folder exclusions and all "trusted" file types among file type exclusions. So I've tried it, but every time I click on theAdd an exclusion button and choose whatever option I may want to exclude enabling Defender to perform the operation, nothing happens. Literally, nothing. There are still no files, folders or file types reported to being excluded by Defender at the moment, and my XPS keeps being sluggish on a daily basis with me helplessly waiting for it to come alive.

FYI, I have Windows 10 Pro installed, with version 20H2 and OS build 19042.630.

Do you know why this is the case and how could I solve either issues?

Thanks,

Federico Minutoli

Step 1: Trying to add exclusions

Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection 111e2277-53c6-43b2-8437-88d6674f2c36?upload=true.png

Step 2: Choosing the right object Defender's own folder, here

Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection 8a4ed0fe-1374-491e-bc0d-7f629257b2ca?upload=true.png

Step 3: Checking results or non-results rather

Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection ef96d167-658c-4069-98d2-97635ec0e4f9?upload=true.png

:)

Federico Minutoli, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection

1. Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection - Similar Threads - Cannot add exclusions

2. Microsoft defender real time protection cannot on in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft defender real time protection cannot on in windows 10: Sir,windows defender Real Time protection cannot on Problemwindows 10 version 22H2 19045,3930 HomeMicrosoft defender real time protection cannot on in windows 10Please Help Me...
  3. Microsoft defender real time protection cannot on in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft defender real time protection cannot on in windows 10: Sir,windows defender Real Time protection cannot on Problemwindows 10 version 22H2 19045,3930 HomeMicrosoft defender real time protection cannot on in windows 10Please Help Me...
  4. Microsoft defender real time protection cannot on in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Defender real time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender real time protection: Hello everyone,I have a problem with windows defender, I can't enable real time protection, there is message says "You are using another Antivirus provider, but I don't have and I didn't have before I don't want to use third party Antivirus I have windows 11 , I have...
  6. Microsoft defender real time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft defender real time protection: I'm not using any other antivirus program but windows sees something and ıt's blocking defender realtime protection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-defender-real-time-protection/e0b61079-a7e9-4f10-b8c6-f638de94e405
  7. Real-time protection issue of Microsoft Defender

Real-time protection issue of Microsoft Defender: Hi,I have turned off the virus protection of my third party antivirus software and try to turn on the real-time protection of Microsoft Defender. However, the option to turn on the real-time protection of Microsoft Defender is greyed out, and I can't turn it on from my...
  8. Real time protection of windows defender

Real time protection of windows defender: Due to some reason I can't turn off my windows security real time protection. But i used to do that pretty easily sometime back. [ATTACH] I am currently logged in as administrator. [ATTACH]...
  9. Window Defender: Cannot Turn On Real Time Protection

Window Defender: Cannot Turn On Real Time Protection: I have been using Windows Defender for a while now and it was fine but recently I installed McAfee and used its free trial. After I noticed how slow my computer was I uninstalled it. Now when I go back to Window Defender the option to turn on Real-Time Protection is grayed...
  10. Defender: Real Time Protection:

Defender: Real Time Protection:: I just installed the latest Build of Windows 10 . I get this notification in yellow text This setting is managed by your Administrator above the real time protection on Off button and it has been turned on but greyed out. I am not able to disable it. Have scanned it with...