Windows 10: Cannot add system ENV variable build 1703 - even as admin

Discus and support Cannot add system ENV variable build 1703 - even as admin in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Need to add jdk (Java) into path system ENV variable. (Note needs to be in system path not user one). Logged on as admin System will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, May 29, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Cannot add system ENV variable build 1703 - even as admin

Hi there
    Need to add jdk (Java) into path system ENV variable. (Note needs to be in system path not user one).
    Logged on as admin

System will allow enter env screen but doesn't save it W10 x-64 pro build 1703..

Any way round this -- I need jdk to use Eclipse IDE.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 29, 2017

2. windows cannot find 'ping'. Make sure you type the name correctly

Try running:

C:\Windows\System32\Ping.exe

If that works, then inspect the PATH variable in the system. Make sure "C:\Windows\System32" is included in Path.

Type SET in Command Prompt to view the Env. variables.

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 29, 2017
  3. SSteven1 Win User
    Environment variable not working

Hi

I have created an Env var named croot set to the value C:\.

When I try to use this in the command prompt, to change the dir, it works.

But I have also created an Env var named froot set to the value F:\.

When I try to use this in the command prompt to change the dir, it DOESN"T work!

I'm on WIndows 10. I created the env vars in Properties > System variables.

What's the reason for this? What's the solution?

Thanks

Steven

SSteven1, May 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

What's path length have you exceeded it?

Samuria, May 29, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    fixed it by using setx in command mode -- seems the GUI doesn't work

here's what I did in elevated command mode

setx PATH "C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\ ;C:\Users\jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131\bin"

Working fine now -- run javac command and the java options come up

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot add system ENV variable build 1703 - even as admin - Similar Threads - Cannot add system

2. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin: I was looking at the 'User variables for System Admin' one day and saw my name spelled '*****'. I didn't care for that name and without thinking changed the name. Now all my music, photos & docs are gone. How can I undo that already tried 'System Restore'?...
  3. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin: I was looking at the 'User variables for System Admin' one day and saw my name spelled '*****'. I didn't care for that name and without thinking changed the name. Now all my music, photos & docs are gone. How can I undo that already tried 'System Restore'?...
  4. Environment Variables, User variables for System Admin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Env variables problem -- can access from cmd one minute then cannot.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Env variables problem -- can access from cmd one minute then cannot.: CLI program. Pandoc. pandoc --version > nothingadded to env variablesit worked. closed cmd, then it didn't work. Removed from env. var. added back again. new cmd prompt. pandoc --version --> nothing. Just tried again then.so does someone want a sys log? 20H2may be related:It...
  6. Env variables problem -- can access from cmd one minute then cannot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Env variables problem -- can access from cmd one minute then cannot.: It happened with pip too, I can't access pip normally, have to cd to dir then py -m pip i have py 3.10 instaled but it defaults to attempting with 3.9, to do everything. even though env var. deleted and uninstalled 3.9But im posting for anotehr cmd program. Pandoc. pandoc...
  7. Env variables problem -- can access from cmd one minute then cannot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Env variables problem -- can access from cmd one minute then cannot.: It happened with pip too, I can't access pip normally, have to cd to dir then py -m pip i have py 3.10 instaled but it defaults to attempting with 3.9, to do everything. even though env var. deleted and uninstalled 3.9But im posting for anotehr cmd program. Pandoc. pandoc...
  8. Env variables problem -- can access from cmd one minute then cannot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Not able to add, edit, or delete system environment variable.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to add, edit, or delete system environment variable.: Even though I am an admin on the system, I am not able to edit, add, or delete system environment variables. As shown in attached images, It's working fine for user environment variable, but options for modifyingsystem environment variables is greyed out. [ATTACH]...
  10. Cannot See Build 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot See Build 1703: I'm on Windows 10 x64 1607 and my PC will not go any further. My server is on 1703, but my Desktop refuses to see it, even when checking for updates. I also tried to install manually, but I get an error that update not applicable to this PC. Thanks 95203