Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues.

Discus and support Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I went to Start10 in the meantime but I think I would really like to use and configure the default.. it seems nice. however, when I try to pin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jasonbmerrill, Aug 1, 2015.

1. jasonbmerrill Win User

I went to Start10 in the meantime but I think I would really like to use and configure the default.. it seems nice.

however, when I try to pin things by dragging, I get this: (red circle with slash)
    Dropbox - 2015-08-02_14-41-44.png
    Dropbox - 2015-08-02_14-40-17.png

and when i right click to add...

wait... it showed up. It wasn't before.

Ok ... weird. Gonna mess about with that.

However, here's another thing. When I go to search for something, it immediately searches the web... what's up with that? Why won't it look through my programs? It takes forever sometimes... and sometimes it doesn't find anything.

Is there a way to optimize this? I really kinda miss the start screen "open it and type something" - can't the start menu do that?

either way, I am not unhappy with windows10 at all. The upgrade was easy and it migrated most of my apps.

:)

jasonbmerrill, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Bill A57 Win User

Start menu not working Windows 10

The steps outline above did solve the start menu, notification action center, clock and volume control issue., however, the search box on the task bar does not work. Also I cannot add folders to appear on Start. The choices are greyed out.

Also the problem with msconfig stated in my post above has not been resolved. I cannot check and apply normal bootup items. Which may account for why there are still some problems with Start and Search box

Bill A57, Aug 1, 2015
  3. GenevieveJeter Win User
    Cannot unpin items from Start or remove items from Most Used list

When I right-click unwanted tiles in Start and click "Unpin from Start," nothing happens. The unwanted tile stays.

The same happens with the Most Used menu. I right click and choose the "Don't show in this list" option, but nothing happens. The item stays.

Edit to add:

I can't seem to add things to Start either Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues. :(

Pin to Start doesn't work.

I also cannot add or remove folders from Start through the Settings > Personalization menu. I turn Start options on and off and nothing happens. I also can't get full screen Start to work.

In summary, I cannot customize or change my Start menu whatsoever.

GenevieveJeter, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues. - Similar Threads - Cannot add things

2. Windows 10 cannot update to 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 cannot update to 1803: My newly installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit cannot be updated to 1803. It finished downloading and 15% in to the installation, it fails. I uninstalled then still has no luck. I also ran the Windows update trouble-shooter tool. Thank you for your help...
  3. Cannot connect to my smart Tv

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot connect to my smart Tv: After update windows 10, i tried to connect to my Hisense smart TV using anyview cast, but the laptop cannot find the TV itself. Before updating there was no problem connecting to the TV...
  4. Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting): I use a Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop with i7 Processor and 8GB RAM. When I bought the laptop, it was normal after boot. Then after time passed by, my performance of my laptop started degrading (i.e) The computer was damn slow for nearly a minute after boot and returns to normal...
  5. Windows (10 and Server 2016) having issues with static IPs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows (10 and Server 2016) having issues with static IPs: I have repeatedly encountered a strange behavior on both Windows 10 and Server 2016. On systems with a static IP, after a reboot, sometime the adapter comes up with a self-assigned IPv4 address (169.254.x.x). When you check the adapter's properties, the static is still set,...
  6. One of the users on my laptop cannot connect to Wifi, the others can

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One of the users on my laptop cannot connect to Wifi, the others can: One of the user accounts (with administrator privileges) on my Lenovo laptop shows the wifi network that I use (it is a neighbourhood wifi network) as Limited and the network login page will not come up and the internet is not available. However, other accounts on the same...
  7. Windows 10 update issues..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update issues..: Sir, Do u realy care the customer problem due to update windows 10 ... There 1957 customer r suffered with the issue comes after updating windows... The descktop missing issue why Microsoft comes with better solutions.......
  8. OS selection menu not showing

OS selection menu not showing: I have windows 10 along with windows 7 installed. The problem is that it never shows the os selection menu and always boots into windows 10, never windows 7. When i change system configuration a little (for example, changing time for wich menu is shown) it shows again for...
  9. Windows 10 fails to start.

Windows 10 fails to start.: [IMG][IMG]When I turned my PC on suddenly it showed blue screen of death and the message was inaccessible boot device. Then automatic repair came and I tried to reset my PC it was showing your pc can't be reset then I tried to boot it into safe mode and nothing is happening...
  10. Language in Start menu program list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language in Start menu program list: Why does "Microsfoft office Hulpprogramma's" appear in Nederland in my start menu program list when my system language is English. All other start menu programs are shown in English....