Windows 10: Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues.

Discus and support Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I went to Start10 in the meantime but I think I would really like to use and configure the default.. it seems nice. however, when I try to pin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jasonbmerrill, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues.

I went to Start10 in the meantime but I think I would really like to use and configure the default.. it seems nice.

however, when I try to pin things by dragging, I get this: (red circle with slash)
    Dropbox - 2015-08-02_14-41-44.png
    Dropbox - 2015-08-02_14-40-17.png

and when i right click to add...

wait... it showed up. It wasn't before.

Ok ... weird. Gonna mess about with that.

However, here's another thing. When I go to search for something, it immediately searches the web... what's up with that? Why won't it look through my programs? It takes forever sometimes... and sometimes it doesn't find anything.

Is there a way to optimize this? I really kinda miss the start screen "open it and type something" - can't the start menu do that?

either way, I am not unhappy with windows10 at all. The upgrade was easy and it migrated most of my apps.

:)

jasonbmerrill, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Bill A57 Win User

Start menu not working Windows 10

The steps outline above did solve the start menu, notification action center, clock and volume control issue., however, the search box on the task bar does not work. Also I cannot add folders to appear on Start. The choices are greyed out.

Also the problem with msconfig stated in my post above has not been resolved. I cannot check and apply normal bootup items. Which may account for why there are still some problems with Start and Search box

Bill A57, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Cannot unpin items from Start or remove items from Most Used list

When I right-click unwanted tiles in Start and click "Unpin from Start," nothing happens. The unwanted tile stays.

The same happens with the Most Used menu. I right click and choose the "Don't show in this list" option, but nothing happens. The item stays.

Edit to add:

I can't seem to add things to Start either Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues. :(

Pin to Start doesn't work.

I also cannot add or remove folders from Start through the Settings > Personalization menu. I turn Start options on and off and nothing happens. I also can't get full screen Start to work.

In summary, I cannot customize or change my Start menu whatsoever.

GenevieveJeter, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues.

1. Cannot add things to the start menu... also search issues. - Similar Threads - Cannot add things

2. Start Menu and Search Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu and Search Issues: Hi all,I'm currently on Windows 11 Home 22H2 edition and, following the latest update it feels like everything revolving around the OS has begun to break.Start Menu: whenever I click the start menu, it will stay up, if I click anything else and I mean anything on the start...
  3. Start Menu and Search Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu and Search Issues: Hi all,I'm currently on Windows 11 Home 22H2 edition and, following the latest update it feels like everything revolving around the OS has begun to break.Start Menu: whenever I click the start menu, it will stay up, if I click anything else and I mean anything on the start...
  4. Cannot access search bar in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot access search bar in start menu: I cannot access the search bar in the start menu. Additionally, the multiple desktops icon on the taskbar is no longer available. This bug started yesterday, updating and restarting did not fix it. I would go to the searchbar, type in "microsoft feedback", and download the...
  5. Issues with Windows start menu SEARCH

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with Windows start menu SEARCH: [ATTACH] Previously, when I would search using the Windows start menu search I would get the result highlighted for me and I could just press enter. Press WIN key > type app name > press enter Now, if I follow the same process above, it doesn't highlight, it shows all...
  6. start menu and search issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu and search issue: [ATTACH] Hi, i have update to 2004 version and now the search panel opens at the same time that the start menu ! wtf ! how to get rid of it even if it's permanently, i don't use the search panel......
  7. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  8. Is this an update issue? Cannot search in windows start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Is this an update issue? Cannot search in windows start menu: I cannot use cortana or most importantly search on the windows start box. I cant open edge browser or weather and my location changed to washington dc. Im posting here because the deathly similar report written on this page over a year ago but for windows 8: Windows 10...
  9. How to add stuff in Windows Start menu search?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add stuff in Windows Start menu search?: For example previously on Windows 10 I just used to type "CC" and CCleaner used to show up and I pressed enter. Now I open start menu, type CC and it shows all web results. How do I add a shortcut there? 9780
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...