Windows 10: Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack

Discus and support Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I have a pair of headphones connected to the audio jack with a wire, the volume slider does nothing. I can open it, slide it around, and it will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ohmygodmyearshurt, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack

When I have a pair of headphones connected to the audio jack with a wire, the volume slider does nothing. I can open it, slide it around, and it will stay at the exact same level unless brought to 0, which upon doing so will mute all sound. The default volume is incredibly loud and it makes using headphones impossible. Is there any way to get the slider to function for devices connected via audio jack?

:)

ohmygodmyearshurt, Dec 25, 2019
  2. awalt Win User

Adjusting headphone volume

I hope this is the correct forum...for the first time I used headphones in Windows 10 Pro, and I found the normal Fn-F6 and Fn-F7 that adjust speaker volume do not work to adjust headphone volume - nor does the slider in the task tray. I can go into Control Panel and find the speakers and adjust them, and they are set as default. But it seems to me that in past versions (I came from Windows 7) when headphones were plugged in, the audio slider in task bar adjusted them - when headphones were not plugged in, it adjusted speaker volume.

Do I have to go into Control Panel every time I want to tweak headphone volume? What am I missing?

awalt, Dec 25, 2019
  3. Xorph Win User
    Windows 10: Headphone Volume Wheel no longer adjusts volume

I just finished upgrading my desktop from Win7 to Win10, and am now having a problem with my headphones.

The headphones have a volume wheel on them that I can normally use to adjust the volume with as opposed to needing to adjust the slider in Volume Control. However, now that I've switched to Windows 10, the volume wheel no longer has any effect on applications'
    volume levels. Everything simply plays as though the wheel were turned all the way to max (though I can still turn them down via Volume Control, this is much less convenient).

I've tested them on my laptop that is still running Windows 7 and the volume wheel works fine there. Additionally, turning the wheel up or down while plugged into the desktop still adjusts the volume of the headphone's background white noise, which leads
    me to strongly believe that this issue is directly related to Windows 10.

The headphones are Turtle Beach PX21s. They connect via both a USB cord and a green audio jack. They function if only the USB cord is plugged in, but not if only the jack is plugged in, and to my memory the purpose of having both is so that the headphones
    can draw power from the usb port while sending the audio data via the audio jack.

If anyone knows of any fixes, or any additional information I can provide that might point out the issue, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Xorph, Dec 25, 2019
  4. Rich H567 Win User

Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack

Realtek HD audio headphone jack

Realtek HD audio headphone jack not listed separately in device manager, headphones don't

Rich H567, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack

1. Cannot adjust headphone volume when connected with the audio jack - Similar Threads - Cannot adjust headphone

2. Audio/Headphone jack not working/

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio/Headphone jack not working/: Hi, I have a Dell XPS 13 9365, which I modded into a "desktop"I had fresh installed windows from a USB Device, but, I realized the audio menu says "No Audio Output Device is installed."I had the original speakers plugged in, the connection was alright, yet it still didn't...
  3. headphone jack issue when connecting earphones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphone jack issue when connecting earphones: Hi,I have Windows 11 Inspiron 5584 which recently stopped supporting earphones when connecting them into headphone jack, and instead using the laptop's own speakers for sound when listening to music, watching movie, etc.the only time the headphones do have sound is upon start...
  4. Override audio connected to headphone jack to bluetooth audio device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Override audio connected to headphone jack to bluetooth audio device: I just upgraded to windows 10 version H2O2. In the past, I would have headphones plugged into the headphones jack on my laptop where audio would play. When I turned on my bluetooth headset, the audio would transfer to the bluetooth device and when I would turn off the...
  5. Headphones into rear audio jack?

Headphones into rear audio jack?: Hello. The headphone input on the front of my PC is broken and I cannot use it anymore. No big deal I thought, I'll plug my headphones into the rear audio jack. Well... that ends up being a massive issue somehow. The back inputs seem to be coded differently, which makes the...
  6. Volume issues when I plug/unplug headphones/earphones from audio jack

Volume issues when I plug/unplug headphones/earphones from audio jack: So when I'm watching videos or playing music on my laptop with the headphones/earphones plugged in before I it on, the volume is just as it should be, but when I unplug it, speaker volume is reduced even when it's at 100% and if I plug back into the jack, the output from my...
  7. no audio out of headphone jack

no audio out of headphone jack: Speakers work fine.Insert 1/8 plug into headphone jack and no sound output.My drum software says device disabled wont start.What are the proper settings when realtek audio are the only avail choice?...
  8. Audio not working when plugging in any headphones jack

Audio not working when plugging in any headphones jack: Last Friday this laptop came to my house and I used my apple earbuds and the audio worked perfectly. However, today (Sunday), the audio doesn't work anymore with any headphones (even with the same apple earbuds). The sound still happen in "Sound" control panel but nothing...
  9. Audio jack not detecting headphones

in Cortana
    Audio jack not detecting headphones: So my headphones work fine i plugged them into my other pc and they worked. i've had this computer for about 4 months, it's never had this problem, i unplugged it to use in my other pc, but then when i plugged it back in it didn't show up as an audio device, i tried...
  10. Adjusting headphone volume

Adjusting headphone volume: I hope this is the correct forum...for the first time I used headphones in Windows 10 Pro, and I found the normal Fn-F6 and Fn-F7 that adjust speaker volume do not work to adjust headphone volume - nor does the slider in the task tray. I can go into Control Panel and find the...