Windows 10: Cannot Assign Owner to a MachineKey File Needed to Start Windows Process Activation Service...

Discus and support Cannot Assign Owner to a MachineKey File Needed to Start Windows Process Activation Service... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to start World Wide Web Publishing Service W3SVC, but it cannot start because Windows Process Activation cannot start. I've read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jemro, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Jemro Win User

Cannot Assign Owner to a MachineKey File Needed to Start Windows Process Activation Service...

Hello,

I am trying to start World Wide Web Publishing Service W3SVC, but it cannot start because Windows Process Activation cannot start. I've read everything I could find on the error Error 15: The system cannot find the drive specified, and I've tried just about every solution available.

As specified in the below Question and answer, I believe the issue is that 3 machinekeys are without an owner, so they cannot be used:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation-service-fails-to-start-after/e0164f10-47df-4c53-99ea-01ba9b6e47fb

The problem is that some files that WAS uses do not have SYSTEM as user anymore.

You have to open the properties of files with administrator elevation. That seems not to be possible with Windows Explorer. I am doing it from Total Commander run as administrator. There may be other ways.

The steps are:

1. Go to c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\
    2. You should see 3 files there:
      d6d986f09a1ee04e24c949879fdb506c_*
      76944fb33636aeddb9590521c2e8815a_*

6de9cb26d2b98c01ec4e9e8b34824aa2_*
    3. Do the following steps for each of these files:
    4. Go to properties > Security tap
    5. You will not see properties because you do not have read-access.
    6. Click the Advanced button
    7. Change ownership to yourself
    8. Then you can add SYSTEM to the list ACL and give it full access.

After these steps you should be able to start WAS again.

The problem is that no matter what I do, I cannot add an owner to those 3 machine key files. I've tried following the steps there and I've tried using takeown from the command prompt. No matter what I do, the file always returns to this state:

Cannot Assign Owner to a MachineKey File Needed to Start Windows Process Activation Service... 93cdf1d2-81ad-4c2b-9330-d5c38579eebe?upload=true.png

I also tried to isolate the error using process monitor, and here are all of the problems when I tried to change ownership of one of the machinekey files:

Cannot Assign Owner to a MachineKey File Needed to Start Windows Process Activation Service... 19cc9a94-8169-4e7c-8d0a-d91a0d536022?upload=true.png

Because there is no owner, I also can't delete the files.

I'm really at a loss of how I can either delete or change the owner of these files. Any help would be appreciated..thanks.

:)

Jemro, Sep 17, 2020

2. Not able to Start Windows Process Activation Service

C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k iissvcs file missing in Windows 10. Due to this not able start Windows Process Activation service. Kindly guide

DattprasadBhosale, Sep 17, 2020
  3. Stopping Windows Services and Processes

Thanks, DaveM, help always appreciated, I'm following through with an earlier suggestion at this time and it's looking good, but, if it's not successful I will gladly give your suggestion a try, kind regards.

William J_997, Sep 17, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Cannot Assign Owner to a MachineKey File Needed to Start Windows Process Activation Service...

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot Assign Owner to a MachineKey File Needed to Start Windows Process Activation Service... - Similar Threads - Cannot Assign Owner

2. Window 11 activation owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 11 activation owner: Hi,I want to know that can i find the owner who has installed a license key in my laptop it is showing that my windows is activated by organization and when i contacted them they said they have nothing to do with it.. My personal files are getting attacked i am going to file...
  3. Process/Service Activity Analysis

in Windows 10 Support
    Process/Service Activity Analysis: Hello everyone. I recently had a Windows 10 2004 BSOD due to a Clock_Watchdog_Time, which i'm looking into, but i noticed something when it booted back up that piqued my curiosity. For some reason, Windows Update and Microsoft Software Protection Platform were running for...
  4. this application cannot start as it cannot create needed files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    this application cannot start as it cannot create needed files: ES:tengo unos juegos que antes me funcionaban son burnin rubber 3 y 4.pero ahora cuando voy a ejecutarlos me sale "esta aplicación no puede iniciarse porque no puede crear los archivos necesarios" ¿como lo soluciono?como dato tengo que movi el juego de "archivos de programa"...
  5. Windows could not start the Windows Process Activation Service on Local Computer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows could not start the Windows Process Activation Service on Local Computer.: Receiving the following after installing IIS and trying to start this service. Windows could not start the Windows Process Activation Service on Local Computer. Error 9: The storage control block address is invalid....
  6. Windows Process Activation Service Couldn't Start Error 15 System Cannot Find the Drive...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Process Activation Service Couldn't Start Error 15 System Cannot Find the Drive...: Hi, I am using Windows 10, after ran window update to version 1909 in end of March. I couldn't start my IIS. I realized that my World Wide Web Publishing service is not start. When I start W3 service, it prompts Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start....
  7. Should the service Windows Process Activation Service not show in Services in Windows 10...

Should the service Windows Process Activation Service not show in Services in Windows 10...: Should the service Windows Process Activation Service not show in Services in Windows 10 Pro 1903? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/should-the-service-windows-process-activation/b461f5bb-3f25-42d7-96b4-589594bbe928
  8. Communication with service process failed. Tray cannot start

in Windows 10 News
    Communication with service process failed. Tray cannot start: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Intel Driver and Support Assistant, which is pre-installed in newer Intel supported systems, automatically identifies, finds and installs drivers for your computer. But at times, or program launch, it is known to fail with an error message – Communication...
  9. windows process activation services

windows process activation services: hi I just want know what is windows process activation services in windows 10 in turn windows features on and off and should I turn it on or leave it off I dont know what it is used for or what it dose...
  10. Cannot assign folders to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot assign folders to Start Menu: When I go to "Choose which folders appear on Start under Personalization/Start, everything is grayed out except for Settings. This happened after my Start menu would not open. I then did a system restore which brought Start menu back but lost Edge browser. I ran a Power Shel...