Windows 10: Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types

Discus and support Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; For some time now some file extensions can't be assigned anymore.For jpg, jpeg, gif, cfg, webm and png it's not possible to choose a app that will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Neumi569, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Neumi569 Win User

Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types

For some time now some file extensions can't be assigned anymore.For jpg, jpeg, gif, cfg, webm and png it's not possible to choose a app that will be remembered.In the screenshot german version you can see that the option is missing in the "open as" menu, also there is no button in the properties that leads to the windows settings.I already went to the windows settings but these file extensions are simply missing / not showing anywhere.The according programs don't show them, also the extensionResetting all standard apps didn't help, I already tried that.All I know that it's a user setting, s

:)

Neumi569, Aug 14, 2022

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Aug 14, 2022
  3. jjensson Win User
    Win10 forgets assigned default programs

It's a real PITA. Not only is it extremely difficult to assign default programs (either no option for "default" or it just doesn't take my choice) for different media, but once assigned, Win10 later forgets the default program and opens it with another.

For instance: I have assigned all audio file types (mp3, wav, m3u etc.) to open with Winamp. I've done this by manually assigning a default program for every single file type in "Control Panel - Default Programs - Associate a file type...", because every other option failed.

Later, after a reboot, it still shows "Winamp" in the list of file types. But Win10 now opens m3u-files with VLC player! *Mad Is this a known problem? Is there any solution to this? I'm going hardcore, with registry keys etc - only need the info. *Nerd

And 2nd question: some file types are not listed under "Control Panel - Default Programs - Associate a file type...". How can i assign these missing file types to a program?

Any help highly appreciated.

jjensson, Aug 14, 2022
  4. Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types

Windows 10 keeps unregistering other apps as standard apps for file types.

Hello Baute,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

I request you to try the following steps:

• Type "Control panel" in Start menu.
    • Select "Control panel" from the search list.
    • Now open Default apps.
    • Now select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Here you can assign default app for particular format.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Aug 14, 2022
Thema:

Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types

1. Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types - Similar Threads - Cannot assign standard

2. Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot assign standard programs in Windows 11 for some file types: For some time now some file extensions can't be assigned anymore.For jpg, jpeg, gif, cfg, webm and png it's not possible to choose a app that will be remembered.In the screenshot german version you can see that the option is missing in the "open as" menu, also there is no...
  3. File type assigned by Paint 3d

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  4. File type assigned by Paint 3d

File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  5. cannot install some programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot install some programs: i got a new windows 10 pc and i cannot install some programs, like opera gx worked, so did corel, blender and the drivers for my huion tablet, but minecraft and bluestacks dont work...
  6. cannot install some programs

cannot install some programs: i got a new windows 10 pc and i cannot install some programs, like opera gx worked, so did corel, blender and the drivers for my huion tablet, but minecraft and bluestacks dont work...
  7. assigning a default program for opening .bat files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    assigning a default program for opening .bat files: see images folks. why can't I in win 10? I want notepad++. possible? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/assigning-a-default-program-for-opening-bat-files/1f5a9749-b1eb-405b-9c9a-3ec543112987
  8. W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 - Change FILE TYPE label to standard file type - not product name: I installed a program for my programming. Now, Instead of seeing the file TYPE label in the file type column - I see the Company Name + Program name. Instead of PHP or JS, I see JetBrains PHPStorm. How can I remove the product name and set the type back to PHP or JS or...
  9. Cannot run some Programs on Program Files without Admin rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot run some Programs on Program Files without Admin rights: Hi, Recent days, my pc cannot run some programs: - SQL Server Management Studio [ATTACH] - Visual Studio cannot Publish websites with FTP publishing mode - Logitech Gaming Software - lgcore.exe cannot run at start up. To fix it, I have to set combability mode of exe...
  10. File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?: I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained hopefully as simply as possible; In File Explorer I would love to have a way it knows what type of items are within that...