Windows 10: Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software

Discus and support Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I want to associate DXF files with TurboCAD 20. In the file association by extension Windows 10 will only allow me to choose a program from the App... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DragonflyKing, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software

I want to associate DXF files with TurboCAD 20. In the file association by extension Windows 10 will only allow me to choose a program from the App Store. Why can't I associate this CAD format with my CAD software? I should be able to associate any file type with any program that I have installed.

I've spent thousands on CAD software and thousands on a Xeon processor workstation with the Windows 10 Pro operating system. I think it is disappointing that Microsoft is now forcing everyone to their App Store to download "toy programs" when people who use computers for what they are meant for are crippled in this way.

Let users choose their file association as they have always done.

:)

DragonflyKing, Jan 18, 2019
  2. Hwalker1 Win User

are DXF files supported by window 10

I have been sent a .dxf file for Auto cad or Auto sketch. I have reset the file association to .dxf in windows 10, but the system will not recognize the format when I try to open it and insists in using window default app instead, which I have never used.

Autocad and Autosketch are industry standard software that I have used itf or the last 30 years. Is windows 10 not compatible with the file format? They always worked in Win 7.
    It tries to use Microsft 3d builder instead, but this will not run .dxf files
    3d builder is the default app. It is supposed to read .dxf files but will not do so.
    Does anyone know how to make windows 10 recognize .dxf files?

Hwalker1, Jan 18, 2019
  3. Berton Win User
    are DXF files supported by window 10

There's been issues with Autocad for years. What I'd do is get a Viewer installed and check the file with it. Several pages about a Viewer here:
    autocad viewer at DuckDuckGo

Berton, Jan 18, 2019
  4. mandoist Win User

Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software

File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CCannot associate DXF files with my CAD software :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Jan 18, 2019
Thema:

Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software

1. Cannot associate DXF files with my CAD software - Similar Threads - Cannot associate DXF

2. I need to convert a CAD file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to convert a CAD file: I used a CAD programme that saved my house plan file in its own format of 'dft', I now use 'Librecad' but unfortunately it will not open a 'dft' file. 'dft' files are also used by Siemens Solid Edge CAD programme which will save out as a more common 'dwg' or 'dfx' but costs...
  3. Cannot get file type associated with the application

Cannot get file type associated with the application: I've just posted to the Ultimaker Cura forum, as Cura is the only application in which I seem to be getting this problem. But I suspect this may be a Win 10 issue so hope someone can help please. Despite having set the defaults correctly, I cannot get d-clicking from File...
  4. Cannot get file type associated with the application

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get file type associated with the application: I've just posted to the Ultimaker Cura forum, as Cura is the only application in which I seem to be getting this problem. But I suspect this may be a Win 10 issue so hope someone can help please. Despite having set the defaults correctly, I cannot get d-clicking from File...
  5. Cad software crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cad software crash: What is the cuse to the software crashes? Application: bSuite.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32,...
  6. The window displayed in CAD-based software is incomplete

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The window displayed in CAD-based software is incomplete: The window displayed in CAD-based software ( such as Hongye Municipal Pipeline Design Software) is incomplete, and some software command windows only display part of it, or overlap between function buttons.[ATTACH]...
  7. Auto CAD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto CAD: Since i installed the windows 10 my auto cad 2007 & 2015 both temporary overrides are not working. i often use shift to temporary on and off orthomode but now i cantt. please help.....
  8. cannot change file association

cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  9. cannot change file association

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot change file association: Suddenly, I cannot change my file association to the program I want. For example, I want to change ".txt" to use "notepad2.exe", not the default "notepad". Recently I was able to do that. If I right-click, properties, and choose my "notepad2", the change won't take effect....
  10. are DXF files supported by window 10

are DXF files supported by window 10: I have been sent a .dxf file for Auto cad or Auto sketch. I have reset the file association to .dxf in windows 10, but the system will not recognize the format when I try to open it and insists in using window default app instead, which I have never used. Autocad and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. autocad dxf file association

2. .dxf files associate with autocad