Windows 10: Cannot associate .zip with Windows Explorer

Discus and support Cannot associate .zip with Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi, after uninstalling Winzip free (2gb limit) i tried to use windows exploe to unzip a compressed folder. However the association is not there.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jonathan .. Powell, May 26, 2019.

1. Cannot associate .zip with Windows Explorer

hi,

after uninstalling Winzip free (2gb limit) i tried to use windows exploe to unzip a compressed folder. However the association is not there. It should be a simple matter to change the association in the file properties. But Windows explorer is not there. If i browse for it and try to associate it, it complains that explorer cannot be associated with that file type.

How do i fix that please when the standard associations wont work.

I am using a fully patched Windows 10 operating system.

thankyou

:)

Jonathan .. Powell, May 26, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

.zip can't be set to File Explorer

Hello Kathleen,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default programs
      in the search bar and press enter

• Click on choose default programs by file type

• Select .zip
      and select File Explorer
    Also you can visit the below link Zip and unzip files.
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/zip-unzip-files

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, May 26, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Can't make zip file association

To answer in reverse order - Windows Explorer is an app that can unzip, if you don't see it in the list, click 'more apps', scroll to the bottom then click 'find another app on this PC'. Look for C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Once you have set the association for one .zip file, it applies to all .zip files from then on.

4. Cannot associate .zip with Windows Explorer

.zip is missing in Default Program list

MY .ZIP is now working again. This is what happened; the .zip was in the file association list without an association and that was why I couldn't open a .zip file so I clicked on and assigned Windows Explorer to open it, and when I went back to the list
    the .zip was gone from the list but it is now in the Protocol list as EXPLORER.ZIPSELCTION and I can now open my .zip files. So this was just another glitch that had to be corrected, after upgrading to Windows 10.

iwant2bhere, May 26, 2019
Thema:

Cannot associate .zip with Windows Explorer

1. Cannot associate .zip with Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot associate zip

2. Cannot Zip file in window 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Zip file in window 11: How can i do if I do not want to rename my file or folder's name? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-zip-file-in-window-11/bcc47303-ed90-4c3e-8fe8-ae6123d7ceb3
  3. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  4. Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders

Windows Explorer Finding Zip *folders* not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders: How do I use Windows Explorer's search feature to find Zip folders not the zip/compressed files within Zip folders. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-finding-zip-folders-not-the/2e838c6d-648c-4b53-99f5-82ee2259eacd
  5. file cannot be zipped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file cannot be zipped: why does a warning message appear when I try to zip a file "file cannot be compressed as it includes characters that cannot be used in a compressed folder, such as T but the T icon is a small thing that sits lower down on the line of text. please help me try to resolve this...
  6. file cannot be zipped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file cannot be zipped: why does a warning message appear when I try to zip a file "file cannot be compressed as it includes characters that cannot be used in a compressed folder, such as T but the T icon is a small thing that sits lower down on the line of text. please help me try to resolve this...
  7. file cannot be zipped

8. Cannot zip a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot zip a file: For some dumb reason I can't zip up my file of a project. I clicked the option to send that file into a compressed zipped file but it wouldn't carry that option out, as if I never clicked the option. What the fluff is going on???...
  9. Can't make zip file association

Can't make zip file association: In some magical way that Windows has, my zip files have become associated with Photoshop?????????? I cannot figuer out how to assign a zip association. Though there's a list of probably 50 .z## file types which i have NONE. There is no .zip association which i have many....
  10. Can't make zip file association

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't make zip file association: In some magical way that Windows has, my zip files have become associated with Photoshop?????????? I cannot figuer out how to assign a zip association. Though there's a list of probably 50 .z## file types which i have NONE. There is no .zip association which i have many....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. associate zip with windows explorer